Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eletric cut out placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eletric cut out placement

I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a single cut out or a daul cut out for my car.

Currently I have LTS, ORY, & a borla with no plate, and I love the way the car sounds, but I wouldn't mind it louder. However I do find it annoying when I'm in the car for a long trip and I have to shout to the person sitting next to me, or have the radio cranked all the way up and then really shout at the person.

So I was thinking a cut(s) would be the best thing. The ability to be loud and then quiet all with the flick of my finger.
Here's my thing though. I once for the giggles started my car with just the LTs and I loved the sound, and thats really want I'm trying to get or be close to.
I've seen some sites and people that put the cut out in the one pipe of the Borla so it can go from the closed to open but I figured that will just give me the sound I have now, and I want louder. So do I buy one and put it in "I" pipe right after the y merges, or should I get two and put them in the place of the ORY?

Any pictures of current set ups would be great and any insight as to which one and why.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

just get one and put it in the I pipe right where there is a hump in the floorboard by the passenger rear wheel. It fits up real nice. Search around and you will see some pics of what I am talking about or look under your car for what I am talking about.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

I just got done putting mine right before my muffler... I really like it and its quiet(somewhat) inside. I've had dual cutouts onthe y-pipe and a single on the I-pipe. The reason i chose to pu mine where i did was clearance and I didnt like scraping it like in my other cars.

good luck though. cut outs are badass
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Restricted User

cutouts are the **** dude. I'd just put one in the rear pass. side floor relief. However if you've got $360 bucks to spend get two I guess.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
just get one and put it in the I pipe right where there is a hump in the floorboard by the passenger rear wheel.
Dual cutouts will **** you off. You will scrape them on everything and it is gonna be louder than you really want it. A crisp sound is better than sounding like a tractor plowing up the highway. You will lose some lowend power running the duals too.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Dual cutouts will **** you off. You will scrape them on everything and it is gonna be louder than you really want it. A crisp sound is better than sounding like a tractor plowing up the highway. You will lose some lowend power running the duals too.

Ive got duals and you definately lose some pull on the low-end, but the other option for me is a Flowmaster Catback. I love the way mine sound though and thats all opinion.

If you said that you want the sound to be closest to Open Headers, then duals are the way to go. If you choose to go that way though, I'd say go ahead and Get a new Y, and have it custom made with the cutouts built in, thats the way I went and I have no Problems with scraping at all. not very expensive either.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I built mine into the elbows of my y-pipe when I did it. Let me see if I can find a picture of it.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I have 1 in the I under rear pass. seat, where there is the indent.....electric...would never open it, if I had to crawl around every time..plus.....COPPERS.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so loosing low end power isn't something I want to do, so I'll probably stay away from two cut outs. Now is there a benifiet to putting the single cut out right behind the Y pipe? I mean there is only 6 feet of pipe left, is that 6 feet hurting my sound?
C