Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP or Edelbrock stainless headers and true duals, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP or Edelbrock stainless headers and true duals, help

I tried searching but all the threads are old and Edelbrock has a newer version of their drag headers.
1-3/4" stepped to 1-7/8"
3-1/2" collectors
T-304 stainless steel

These are the ones that come welded already, you just slip them on. I think you get all the hardware with them too. I am getting headers soon along with an exhaust. I need everything ordered before I get back to the states in January. I really like the HVMC on the QTP's but the Edelbrock's look very nice. I haven't read anything bad about the Edelbrock's either. I read since QTP's are in demand they skimp out on quality, might not be like that anymore. I definitely want stainless steel and true duals. The HVMC seems to be the better bet though. I think I have my mind set on 2 1/2 duals, I'm not sure if the 3 inch duals will have enough low end pull, correct me if I'm wrong? I know I will have to reduce the collectors on any headers if I want 2 1/2 inch. I also want cats. I smelled the exhaust of a non catted WS6 and it's intense for me. I don't see a cam in the near future or anytime soon. Also, QTP are the price range for me. I don't want to spend a grand on headers. XS headers are also an option but they don't have the HVMC. Any insight on this would help out alot.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have QTP's. Nice header, good fit, no regrets. No problems on the install - no cutting, no grinding. Only things that had to be removed were spark plugs/wires and the oil drain plug. Great pricing vs. Kooks and ARH, too. Definitely a better deal than those two, and with better collectors than both of them, too. Only downside is they give you no bolts and their gaskets are a very thin metal. I wound up getting a set of Percy's Seal-4-Good gaskets, but I would have gotten them regardless of what header I bought, anyway.

My advice to you would be to call QTP and ask them if they are currently putting badges on their headers and if they are no longer welding the primary. My primaries have no weld. If they are still skimping on quality, look harder into the Edelbrocks, but if they have badges and no primary welds, QTP's are a no-brainer IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanted 100% stainless true duals too so after I saw how badass the x pipe merge that American Racing Headers did on a custom x pipe/true duals setup...I contacted them. I ordered their 1 and 7/8 headers with emmissions stuff, catted Y and had them fab up the x-pipe merge for me so I could have a local shop weld it on. I'm gonna cut the Y merge off...and it should be pretty easy for someone to weld the x-merge on. ARH actually made the x-pipe merge so it could be easily welded on. This is a pic of the overall setup.

I went with American Racing Headers for a few reasons. I loved how the passanger side pipe was flattened a bit for clearance, they have a nice mount on the tranny, it's all stainless *even cats*, the HVMC, and I can install most of it to reduce the cost. Also...quality is the best I've seen. Eventually I'm going to get extensions like this:

The mufflers you see are from Stainless Works and are 13 inches in overall length and have a 3 inch core with an overall width of 3.5. The tips just slide on too! I couldn't be happier with the quality of both vendors. I learned the hard way that you should do it once and do it right. That's why I wanted to go with the best I could find.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 10-03-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those ARH's do look nice. They look alot like the QTP's though. The piping I'm really not concerned with. Are the QTP's still around $200 less than the ARH's? Also, anybody know about the dual 3" exhaust being too much for mildy stock power? I don't want to lose low end, that's why I was thinking 2.5". Which sponsor sells both with a military discount?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

I think you oughta try Edelbrocks', just to be different. If you're going true duals, then I guess the QTP y pipe isn't an issue for you, so they would be great. I've heard of the issues as mentioned above, so I'd agree with Choco's advice.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Edelbrocks but not in Stainless. I have zero complaints. I wouldn't have a problem buying the QTP's, kooks, ARH or the Edelbrocks again. All of these companies have shown to make a quality product. Also since you will be going with true duals you don't have to worry about the Y pipe issues most have. The HVMC is a nice feature, as is the stepped design but without a cam or heavy engine mods I believe the difference between a regular 1 3/4" primary with standard collector would be negligable.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you buy your Edelbrock's and how long have you had them? I was wondering about the coating if it was coming off or not? Also, what all do they come with? I seen some that came with block off plates, 02 extensions, and mounting hardware.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

The edelbrocks are pretty schweet in design... They are a stepped 1-7/8ths to 1-3/4ers so it keeps low and midrange torque and power up, yet still makes the car scream up top. Great design, and the SS304 edelbrocks will be on my car within the next year.

BTW, IIRC the edelbrocks come with a merge collector as well on some models, Im pretty sure you can order it on the SS headers as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got my QTP's on recently and they look and fit great.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I like that about them. Aren't the Edelbrock's in stainless the same price as the QTP's in stainless?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

15 Months with coated edels. coating is great..as well as design and fit...ground clearance is good..I am 1-3/4 -2 " lowered.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Where did you buy your Edelbrock's and how long have you had them? I was wondering about the coating if it was coming off or not? Also, what all do they come with? I seen some that came with block off plates, 02 extensions, and mounting hardware.
I vote Edelbrock's. I originally had the coated ones that started to rust, no big deal, they had a warrenty so I paid the differance and got the stainless version. Can't complain one bit and same as everybody says about them fitting well, installation was easy, still have the merge collectors, stepped primaries, etc. Yep they come with everything you need to put on the car. No regrets here and a great company that works with you....
Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jegs has the best pricing on Edelbrocks.
i have no complaints with them either. they have HVMC and a velocity spike in the collector. some versions of them come with everything needed, some dont. tech support at Jegs will tell you which ones come with what.

and i know you dont care since you are going duals but the y-pipe is pretty nice too!
the Pacesetter Y vs. the Edelbrock Y is like looking at Rosie O'Donnell standing next to Jennifer Aniston.
i couldnt be happier with the Edelbrock stepped headers and Y.

the hard part for you would be going from 3.5" collector to 2.5" exhaust.

"Rubrburnr", good info on the warranty!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I wanted 100% stainless true duals too so after I saw how badass the x pipe merge that American Racing Headers did on a custom x pipe/true duals setup...I contacted them. I ordered their 1 and 7/8 headers with emmissions stuff, catted Y and had them fab up the x-pipe merge for me so I could have a local shop weld it on. I'm gonna cut the Y merge off...and it should be pretty easy for someone to weld the x-merge on. ARH actually made the x-pipe merge so it could be easily welded on. This is a pic of the overall setup.

I went with American Racing Headers for a few reasons. I loved how the passanger side pipe was flattened a bit for clearance, they have a nice mount on the tranny, it's all stainless *even cats*, the HVMC, and I can install most of it to reduce the cost. Also...quality is the best I've seen. Eventually I'm going to get extensions like this:

The mufflers you see are from Stainless Works and are 13 inches in overall length and have a 3 inch core with an overall width of 3.5. The tips just slide on too! I couldn't be happier with the quality of both vendors. I learned the hard way that you should do it once and do it right. That's why I wanted to go with the best I could find.
not to hijack the thread, but you have your y pipe backwards. also, i sent you a PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I noticed the desgin of the Edelbrock's look exactly like the headers with the HVMC. It doesn't state it has it but does say something about the correct firing order. If they come with everything and are the same price as the QTP's, I think I'm sold. I haven't heard complaints yet and Edelbrock has been in the game forever. I'm sure I can get a 3 1/2" to 2 1/2" reducer somewhere.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm 99% sure that the Jegs rep i talked to on the phone said the stainless version does not come with all the extras.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
not to hijack the thread, but you have your y pipe backwards. also, i sent you a PM.
Haha! Oops. Just as long as I don't put it on the car like that...I'll be fine
Old 10-04-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

I agree, the Edelbrocks have a nice looking Y inside at the merge and outside.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All the Edelbrock's in stainless don't come with extras or just Jegs? Also, I want cats. Where is the best buy to buy them?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What sponsor on here sells the Edelbrock headers? Also should I just get the Percy seal 4 good gaskets?

Quick Reply: QTP or Edelbrock stainless headers and true duals, help