Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions deleted but now.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Emissions deleted but now.........

Emissions equipment has been deleted in my car before, its a 1999 LS1 trans am, it has been tuned for that along with some bolt ons, rear O2 sensors have been deleted also. No SES light on the car, and car does run very nice but since it does not have the emissions equipment anymore.... I was thinking about a part that is still there. Looks like an electric air/vacumm pump that sits close to the front turn signal, driver side, looks to be attached to chasis rail, it has many hoses that hook there, but looks like they don't go anywhere. I am asuming these have to do with emissions, I hear the pump turn on and off, does it have another function/purpose on the car? There are a couple of hoses that are not plugged. If I don't need it since no more emissions stuff is there, how do I disable it? Or better yet... is it safe to just turn it off? Remove it form there? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need it anymore. Just remove the front cover in front of the drivers side wheel and unplug and remove it...............
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

What do I do with the hoses? Do I just put a plug/cap on everyone of them?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of headers are you running???? If your running headers with emmisions, then remove the hoses and block off the provisions at the headers. If your running race headers, which do not come with these emmision provisions, then just remove the hoses and the pump.............
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have pacesetters long tubes, all the hook ups for EGR have been blocked off, everything has been taken care of except for that electric pump on the driver side, close to headlight, right under the fuse box in the engine compartment, between front turn signal and wheel. I was asking about the hoses that go into that pump, it seems like some go all the way back to the fuel tank.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the air pump, it is there to help the cats "light off" when cold. If its still working it will run a tube to each exhaust manifold. If you have no connections then you dont need it and can pull it.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled mine off on my LT1 and it's all good. Took about 10 minutes.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I saw it again and it looks like the hoses ends have no purpose there any more, I will remove it completely. Thanks for the help, I appreciate all your inputs.