Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people aer running cat-less???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How many people aer running cat-less???

As in title. Does your car smell? How much louder? Downside - other than environmental?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took the cats off both my old Z28 and the CETA. Can't really tell ya much about the smell since both cars have had dumped exhaust under the car. You car will be louder with no cats though
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

No cats on my TA. Passed emissions yesterday. I always close up the Borla when I go thru emissions. Much quieter. With the right catback it can still be pretty quiet. As for the smell, the cam can make it smell like an Exxon station if it sits idling in one place too long. I like that too.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
No cats on my TA. Passed emissions yesterday. I always close up the Borla when I go thru emissions. Much quieter. With the right catback it can still be pretty quiet. As for the smell, the cam can make it smell like an Exxon station if it sits idling in one place too long. I like that too.
What he said. I recently went to TD's and a cam set up. The exhaust smell is very noticeable, especially since they are dumped at the axle. On a normal catback, Id imagine the smell wouldnt be as bad, as it exits behind the car...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I still have a stock cam, but duals with no cats exiting out the rear of the car. You won't really notice the smell on mine unless it is sitting in an enclosed area, like my garage. In open air, it is fine. I'm sure a cam would change that story slightly...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no cats with a 233/239 cam.

The exhaust/fuel smell is noticeable to me, but not to my girlfriend. I think its kinda weird seeing women usually complain about **** like that. Lucky me I guess
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Restricted User

ummm, anyone with ORY in their sig has no cats which is probably 2/3rds of the people on here. I don't have cats and I love the smell but my wife hates it. oh well.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

:wave: Mine smells bad, I can even smell it at stop lights. And it's not rich, I'm watching it with a wb and efi live. And I don't care for the way it sounds either, not just loud but it doesn't have a deep and agressive tone and it's raspy under certain conditions. Cats would be better if they would fit but I tried a tsp cat Y and I don't have enough ground clearance.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Launching!

no cats on mine... the smell is pretty stout, not unbearable tho... it's worth doing imo.
as for sound... when i bought the car is had a carsound universal hi flow cat... when i took it off the sound difference was noticable but not huge... its a bit louder and deeper... a better sound i would say, but not as refined of a sound as some like...it's a little raspy.. i'd say it would be quiet a bit louder over the stock cats but i wouldn't know since mine already had the carsound cat on it when i got it.... may have problems getting inspection sticker... fortunately, i didn't! lol
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mods in my sig, passed emissions last month! Smells yea, but who cares! it's all about the mods. The magnaflow tames it a lil. Wish it was a tad bit louder but maybe it will when the material in the muffler burns up a lil!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

mine don't smell much at all unless i just don't notice it. with a proper a/f and the pipes ran out the back the smell shouldn't be so bad that it is annoying but i guess some setups are worse than others.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

I've been running LT's and no cats for about 2 weeks now. My pipes are run out the back, and the smell isnt an issue. If I stand behind the car, or sit in the same place for a while i might smell it, but its not bad.

My headers and Y pipe made the car a LOT louder, annoyingly loud really. I had to order another cat back just to quiet it down some. It sounds great, but i can wake people up on the other side of Texas now
Old 10-06-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by slow trap
mine don't smell much at all unless i just don't notice it. with a proper a/f and the pipes ran out the back the smell shouldn't be so bad that it is annoying but i guess some setups are worse than others.
Exactly--mine doesn't smell unless you stand behind it while running---and you shouldn't be doing that in any vehicle anyway.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Meh...mine are dumped, no cats, and I don't smell any gas unless I'm running it in the garage for a minute.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Cats are gay.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

mines good unless i'm stopped in traffic for a long time or behind the car. TDs dumped before the axle- i dont have any b.c i didnt feel like spending anymore on my exhaust and i really couldnt give 2 ***** about cats. I don't notice the smell at all though except for the above mentioned things. Friends who drive behind me say it smells though.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car stinks. Doesn't bother me in the least though since my previous car stunk also. My one friend with a Cobra won't drive behind me, in fact he just made a comment today that if a State Trooper is ever benhind me I'm fucked.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Grifter
My car stinks. Doesn't bother me in the least though since my previous car stunk also. My one friend with a Cobra won't drive behind me, in fact he just made a comment today that if a State Trooper is ever benhind me I'm fucked.
Your tuning is off...you must be running VERY rich for someone behind you in a car to smell it even if his windows are down....
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No cats here, smell is terrible. Hangs on your clothes etc. No amount of tuning helps it either. After 6 years like this I may go back to cats.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Viper
No cats here, smell is terrible. Hangs on your clothes etc. No amount of tuning helps it either. After 6 years like this I may go back to cats.
well if your A/F Ratio is on...there WILL BE NO/LITTLE Smell. Period. With a cam i bet u r running rich.