Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running true duals from the FLP cats/ORPs back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running true duals from the FLP cats/ORPs back?

Im wanting to get someone to build me a true dual set up that starts from the cats/off road pipes back that way Im still able to use them and interchange whenever needed. I sure would of hated to waste almost $1400 on the header kit just to use the headers themselves. I want to be able to use at least the cats and off road pipes. Im not too fond of the y-pipe and thats why I want to do a true dual set up. But I know that its probably better than the stock y-pipe. I believe one side of the cats/off road pipes are 3", which mate up to the collector, and the other sides of them are 2 1/2" that mate up with the y-pipe. Do you think that dual 2 1/2" pipes are plenty? Will they flow any better than just a single 3" pipe all the way back? I want the entire exhaust to have the v-flanges on the ends just as they do with the FLP headers and components. I want to be able to take apart whenever needed without cutting. If you know where I could get this exhaust made at, please let me know. If youre running something similar to what Im looking to do, please post pics. Id like for the entire system to be stainless steel. Do you think if I ever got something like this built, that its worth getting ceramic coated? Lastly, I want the exhaust to go over the axles. I hear that you can go under, but I dont want to have to worry about clearance issues. Thanks
Old 06-08-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone running true duals from the FLP cats/ORPs back?

ttt
Old 06-09-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Cysevans (Vince). His guy might be able to do that. He has true duals, with Hooker headers and cats. Over the axels and out the back on a lowered car.

Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

The place that did mine will no longer do setups without catalytic converters (they got in trouble once). If you're looking to do a modular setup (like me), as long as you drive out of there with cats, they'll do it. Right now, I have cats welded, but I will be going back at some point to get off-road pipes made so I can remove them for track use. I already have the tailpipes flanged for this reason. This shop does not do mandrel bends, but there are shops around that can (not sure where local to Houston off the top of my head, but maybe someone else will post up - there's always Lane's in Irving near Dallas). If they need reference photos of how it could be done, here are some pics of my setup:

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/Vinnie/truedual.html

You could also find photos at http://www.laneswheels.com/custom_duals.html.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

I have true dauls with FLP's that have collectors on them and it is setup to be exchange with the cats. The FLP's flow into the Collectors, then into a X Pipe, then into spintech muffers which are cutoff right before the rear axle. The system has a nice tone and exhibits power across the curve. I am well please with the setup. This was done by Lanes in Dallas. Cheers.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Check with Lane's
I think he is near Dallas

he isn't a sponsor, more of a private operation
Old 06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Launching!

to get out the back I believe 2.5" is as large as you can go anyway. yes this should flow as well as any 3" catback even non mandrel.

I've got a similair plan as you. It will get done this weekend. Gonna whack off the flanges on the Y-Pipe and have them welded onto 2.5" pipe to retain the CAT/ORP flexibility. I'll be dumping them at the axle after a crossover though.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

I want to find a show that will do this exhaust for me but that will do it in stainless steel and with mandrel bends. I dont want to ruin my FLP components, so I think that Ill just buy more of those flanges from FLP. I want the whole system to be bolt in so that I can take it out whenever I need to. If I was to do a dual 2 1/2" set up, then I still would be able to use the off road pipes and cats because the opposite ends of the engine side are 2 1/2". But I just have to find someone locally who will do it. Do you think ceramic coating the entire system is necessary? Would there be any kind of benefit? Thanks