Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY vs. Hi Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORY vs. Hi Flow Cats

Thinking about these Dynatec Supramax headers with hi flo cats. Plans are for head/cam car. My other option would be ORY. Do you think the Supramax headers would noticeably choke me down compared to ORY?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

With highflowing cats theres not going to much hp loss.Go with the high flow cats for better sound.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

the ory might produce more rasp depending on your driving style, for a head and cam car you will see a slight 5-10hp loss with 215 heads and a 228 or bigger cam, i am running cats as long as my car stays full bolt on, when I go to heads/cam/intake90/90 i plan on getting a n ORY, also keep in mind some states have a HUGE fine for no cats, weight the cost and benefits
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guido1
also keep in mind some states have a HUGE fine for no cats
All states carry a huge fine for no cats because cats are mandated under FEDERAL law. If you're caught without cats, even in states without emissions testing, you can pay in excess of $10,000 for not having them.

Run the cats. It doesn't hurt a thing to do so.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Really...... FAST CARS DO NOT HAVE CATS.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

get some decent cats...I have duals over the axle with cats. Running catless is bad for the environment, it makes you smell like ****, and ls1's sound like dump trucks without them.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ddd

Originally Posted by Ping King
get some decent cats...I have duals over the axle with cats. Running catless is bad for the environment, it makes you smell like ****, and ls1's sound like dump trucks without them.

I didn't ask for advice whether to get cats or no cats. The question relates to how much cats will choke a head/cam car down (as measured in HP or torque).
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Install Director

A little old but when we flowed these cats back in the day, we were a bit shocked. Onfire did the testing, I just took the pictures.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...n11.122001.htm
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ddd

Originally Posted by wizkid
A little old but when we flowed these cats back in the day, we were a bit shocked. Onfire did the testing, I just took the pictures.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...n11.122001.htm
Now this is the kind of answer I was looking for.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by tee-boy
I didn't ask for advice whether to get cats or no cats. The question relates to how much cats will choke a head/cam car down (as measured in HP or torque).
If you have a GOOD set of cats, such as Magnaflow 59959's, not enough to notice much.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm interested in this thread too. I never heard of FLP cats? What's it stand for? I have seen Carsounds for around $70 a piece. Anybody know how good the universal ones on eBay flow?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

In a issue of Hot rod, they engine dynoed a LSX motor and put different mods to it, I beleive it was a 6.0L, They installed the headers and gained great with the cats and then took them off, it made a less then 1 hp and 1 tq difference. Meaning they flow very well.

Now this was a bolt motor at the time of the dyno and then they stepped up to heads and cam, but left the cats on.

Not saying you cant gain but in the early test, it was pretty aparent, leave the cats on.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Install Director

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I'm interested in this thread too. I never heard of FLP cats? What's it stand for? I have seen Carsounds for around $70 a piece. Anybody know how good the universal ones on eBay flow?
FLP went out of business *I thought* but it looks like they are back???? They use to have a header and cat system for our cars among other things for LS1's. Finish Line Performance I thought is what it stood for.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
not enough to offset the fact that life sucks without them. I make nearly 600 rwhp with cats.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
In a issue of Hot rod, they engine dynoed a LSX motor and put different mods to it, I beleive it was a 6.0L, They installed the headers and gained great with the cats and then took them off, it made a less then 1 hp and 1 tq difference. Meaning they flow very well.

Now this was a bolt motor at the time of the dyno and then they stepped up to heads and cam, but left the cats on.

Not saying you cant gain but in the early test, it was pretty aparent, leave the cats on.
Which cats are you referring to that they used in the testing?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Which cats are you referring to that they used in the testing?
They were the Dynatech SuperMaxx Kit, headers, pipes, Cats. It was Dynatech specific CATS
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default ggg

would like to see the before and after results w/ a head/cam car.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

I don't understand the mentality that running no cats is super bad for the environment especially when modifications have been made to the car that alter its fuel economy for the worse. And what about racing in general? Oh yeah thats super great there right? Remember more hp= more fuel. Engines are air pumps. More fuel=more emissions. No way around that unless you run "green" fuels.

I say gut the !cats unless you don't like the smell, want to control rasp, or have to pass emissions. If you don't have the money for some high-flows just gut em.

I had a 87 z28 with a tpi 305 (high school budget). It ran ok at best. I got it from an old lady that had it since new so it was NEVER driven hard. After a complete tune up at 85k it got at best 12-16 mpg. I figure exhaust should help so I buy a slowmaster cat back and you know what? It sounded great but still ran like crap. On a hunch I pulled the y and gutted the cat. AMAZING. It was night and day. I got 20mpg+ and the car was extremely quick for a 5.0. Raced a buddies 99 lightning and passed him at 65 and put a car on him by 100. Maxed out the speedo once (145 I think my memory is fuzzy). Car was honestly the fastest stock 5.0 tpi I have ever seen. I wouldn't have believed it myself.

I would bet that my improvement on mileage far offset the usage of a cat.
Granted the cat could have been clogged or whatever but the point is they are a restriction. End of story.

BTW my 02 does still have cats in place and I don't plan on yanking them.

Last edited by Lickeyman; 10-17-2007 at 09:52 AM.