Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani Y-pipe and O2 simulators question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassani Y-pipe and O2 simulators question

How is the fitment of this Bassani Y-pipe ? This is the stainless Y-pipe without catalyc converters for the stock manifolds on a 1999 Z28.

I have a Predator - can I simply delete the code or will I still need O2 simulators with this pipe ??

I also want to delete AIR and EGR ....

TIA
Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

mac ypipe is quite a bit cheaper and fits up just fine. ws6store.com has them in stock and they're a sponsor. i just got one from them. i had a little trouble getting it to fit at first, but i've got it in there perfect now. you might also find that the ypipe outlet is just ever so slightly small for the inlet to the ipipe. but just barely. i was able to take a tailpipe expander to the ypipe and open it just a bit, and it fit perfectly. with a high quality 2.75" band clamp im sure you could seal it up well also.

you can get a tune to delete the 02 codes. i avoid the problem with mechanical o2 sims i made out of spark plug antifoulers. let me know if you want instructions on how to make them. cost a total of 4 bucks or so.

i'm not familiar with the predator, i dunno if it has the capability to delete the codes...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, good info on the homemade O2 simulators. If I need them I'll definately email or PM you.
The Predator should be able to delete or eliminate the O2 and AIR/EGR codes, but if the simulators can be fabricated for $4 it really doesn't matter....

I saw the MAC Y-pipe in a few catalogs but I think it's carbon steel, not stainless..... I found only Bassani and Stainless Works make a stainless pipe that bolts to the stock manifolds.... the SW has too many parts and clamps for my taste.... but if the Bassani fitment is no good than I guess I rather live with the clamps...

Anybody out there with a stainless off road Y-pipe on a '99 LS1 ???????

Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

my bassani orp experience was HORRIBLE!!!

the shop had to hack the hell out of it to get it to fit, and even with the pipes over 1/2" from the frame the clearance was terrible and the pipes moved under load and hit the frame.

i wouldn't bother honestly...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

This is not the stainless pipe ??? the weld looks very crappy.

I thought that the Y-pipe is a 1 piece design but yours has a clamp before the connection to the I-pipe....

Maybe StainlessWorks is better fitting and higher quality ???
Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by teke184
my bassani orp experience was HORRIBLE!!!

the shop had to hack the hell out of it to get it to fit, and even with the pipes over 1/2" from the frame the clearance was terrible and the pipes moved under load and hit the frame.

i wouldn't bother honestly...
well, i almost bucked up the extra cash for a bassani. im glad i went with mac.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

My bassani fit fine and why is that weld there, I used the band clamps that it came with. I have 2001 could be different kit. Under load or firm shifts it would hit slightly under driver, I just bolted piece of heater hose under there 4 years ago works fine, exhaust hanger strap would work too, used bolts for heat shield. Shortly after this install I dynoed 340hp, 352tq w/ cutout opened.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Bassani ory back in 2001. Didn't fit at all, hit the drive shaft while the car was still in the air let alone on the ground. I'd hope they would have redesigned it by now tho. Pos imo.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
hit the drive shaft while the car was still in the air let alone on the ground.
when you have the car in the air it takes weight off the rear suspension, lowering the rear axle. the driveshaft drops closer to the exhaust. im guessing you were hitting the exhaust back near the axle?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit at the collector where the two halfs of the y meet.