Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all is needed for LT headers on a 01 F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What all is needed for LT headers on a 01 F-body?

I emailed Texas Speed and didn't get an answer back on this, so passing it on the next bunch of guys.

I am looking at getting the pacesetter LT headers w/ ORY combo for my wife for a birthday present for her TA. They have the option of the years and the option of no EGR. I thought all the 01+ cars had no EGR system? Or is this an option for the AIR flange on the top of the header like on the stock exhaust manifold?

It also looks like these have slip fit connections to eachother, they can still be welded instead of using clamps right? Have read that later clamping can cause problems with leaks. I see that they have a kit you can order on their site that looks like it comes with the exhaust gasket and clamps, so would I need this also? Would I also need the O2 extensions or are those extensions for the sensors that go behind the cat?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is. If you're going with an ORY you might as well delete your AIR pump because it'll only get in the way. Buy the "race" headers and ORY, the O2 extensions for your sensors that will have to be plugged in to the FRONT connectors, some gaskets, and I recommend using Band Clamps, they're much better than U bolt style and wont kink your pipe. They look a hell of alot better too. Make sure you buy Lap Joint band clamps.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rawr256

I am looking at getting the pacesetter LT headers w/ ORY combo for my wife for a birthday present for her TA.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matthewjernigan
I told a co-worker about it and he laughed and said she wouldn't even like it and it wasn't for her but for me. Well he is right kind of. It is her car, and when we go places like the track or to get it dyno'd I point out it is her car and I have my own. She rattles off all the other little info about it and she is the one to change the oil in it too.

Figured it would give her more bragging rights about the car also, and make it a little bit louder.

Thanks for the fast response also socmguy. Where can I pick up the band clamps at? Also just use regular exhaust gasket right? Don't need to be anything special?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Restricted User

The only place I've seen them in my neck of the woods is Napa. If not, Summit sells them and ships FAST! You'll need 4 total from your collector to cat back.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

I told a co-worker about it and he laughed and said she wouldn't even like it and it wasn't for her but for me. Well he is right kind of. It is her car, and when we go places like the track or to get it dyno'd I point out it is her car and I have my own. She rattles off all the other little info about it and she is the one to change the oil in it too.

Figured it would give her more bragging rights about the car also, and make it a little bit louder.

Thanks for the fast response also socmguy. Where can I pick up the band clamps at? Also just use regular exhaust gasket right? Don't need to be anything special?
Most everyone I've talked to says get a factory set from the dealership. I just reused my stock gaskets. Headers have been on for a month with no leaks yet.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 AM
whs
Teching In

I bought the ceramic coated Pacesetters from TSP last year and they had metal gaskets, bought the offroad Y-pipe and went with the Corvette O2 sensors. Changed plugs and wires at the same time. Everything went together nicely. The factory gaskets had separated and I didn't want to take chance trying to reuse them.

The passenger side header was a bit difficult to get started, you might look into starting the header bolts on the ends first and modding the gasket so it will slip into place between the header and head.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ordered the stuff up today and should be seeing it next week and hopefully have it all in to have an excited wife! Shared with the neighbor what her present was going to be and he said to make sure to crank it up once and give it a few WOT runs around the neighborhood before I slap the Y pipe in there.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

You'll be fine with new stock gaskets. I've used them on my old SS and they worked great. This time I used Percy's Seal 4 Good gaskets and I love 'em. They fit nicely and form to any imperfections that may exist between the header flange and block. They claim to be the last gasket you'll ever need. You can get them from one of our sponsors. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

I emailed Texas Speed and didn't get an answer back on this, so passing it on the next bunch of guys.

I am looking at getting the pacesetter LT headers w/ ORY combo for my wife for a birthday present for her TA. They have the option of the years and the option of no EGR. I thought all the 01+ cars had no EGR system? Or is this an option for the AIR flange on the top of the header like on the stock exhaust manifold?

It also looks like these have slip fit connections to eachother, they can still be welded instead of using clamps right? Have read that later clamping can cause problems with leaks. I see that they have a kit you can order on their site that looks like it comes with the exhaust gasket and clamps, so would I need this also? Would I also need the O2 extensions or are those extensions for the sensors that go behind the cat?

Thanks for the help!

I went with the jet hot hooker and y-pipe. They are both slip fit design. After install I took my car to a muffler shop and had them weld flanges on the header and the merge collecter so I could drop the y-pipe anytime I needed to. Plus it will not leak and no more rattling sounds!!