Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased an SLP flowpac....Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased an SLP flowpac....Maybe?

I just placed an order for the SLP flowpac... Filter, slp lid, smooth elbow, slp ram air. There was a mix up on shipping charges so my order is on hold. Thought this was the best combo kit. Do I need all these parts..... Am told the smooth elbow is a waist of money. Now Im unsure of the whole thing. I am reading conflicting threads about first mods....i.e SLP lid etc.....
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people prefer to pick their own parts instead of purchasing all them at one time. I don't see anything negative about that package, as long as you can afford it all at once.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

i used to run that setup..... dont think it was worth they money much better products out there
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking about getting one too. My car is stock right now. Should I just get a lid or purchase flowpac kit. My car doesn't have the ram air hood so I'll be getting my cold air from the bottom ??? I am later planning on purchasing a ram air hood. Is there a different ram air kit that is better to use if I have the ram air hood ??? I've seen the volant one around. Any comments ???
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

How much does the flowpack go for? Honestly I would just get a lid and save yourself the money and make the same power...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Should I just get the lid only? Guess the smooth elbow is junk.....what about the ramair kit?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Or should I go with something totaly different. Not looking to go crazy with the car....just bolt ons.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

I got a lid and smooth below. It's like $50 for the below. guys on here say go to your local hardware store and do the fernco tubing for like $5. It looks ghetto to me. When guys on here are dropping 2k-15k for there motors but bitch out on a $50 part. yes the $5 job will probly flow just as well, but i wanted something that fit well, and looked good. So it's up to you.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

well those guys with the 2k-15k motors are prob running something larger than stock diameter maf and intakes manifolds.....so they have to fab something up
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98TransAmNL
I was thinking about getting one too. My car is stock right now. Should I just get a lid or purchase flowpac kit. My car doesn't have the ram air hood so I'll be getting my cold air from the bottom ??? I am later planning on purchasing a ram air hood. Is there a different ram air kit that is better to use if I have the ram air hood ??? I've seen the volant one around. Any comments ???
yea FAST TOYS make a very good ram air kit,
their one of the sponsers -------> -----> ----->
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

never been a big fan of SLP...they always seem overpriced for less than optimal parts.

the lid is good

the cai setup is better than stock...but there are better options out there. about the best ram air (besides the WS6 hood) is IMHO the SSRA. functions as a cold air at slower speeds and a true ram air at higher. driven my car for 4 yrs, in several blinding hurricane rain storms...with no water in the intake (i checked).

the bellows are 99.9% visual...and have led some cars to cracked lids since it won't flex when the engine twists up under load

doesn't the FP come with a maf? if so...not really needed. some cars lose power with a maf, some gain small amounts, some don't change.

personally if i had the money....i'd pick up a lid (all are the same...some look better though) and the SSRA.

may want to look into that new 85mm lid....dont recall the maker....but the upgraded size could put it ahead of other lid setups. just a thought
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

I don't think SLP parts are overpriced when you compare them to what the stuff costs elsewhere for a similar price. I have tons of customers who purcahsed the Flowpac and are very happy with it. The Flowpack is a value when you consider we sell a lot of Volant intakes for the same price, and they are only basically a lid replacement.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm planning on purchasing a ram air hood later. Does a non-ram air hood take in air the same as a ram air hood would? With the factory hood that is on my car would I be better to get a volant air intake or SLP flowpac? Or does it matter? The cold air will still come in the same with either one???
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Your best best is to go with the FTRA and an aftermarket lid. If you plan to modify the car significantly in the future, you can go with our 85mm Air lid and an 85mm MAF as well. That will give you the best flowing intake system.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Under the hood is stock....only a k and N filter. Can I use the SLP lid and Fast toys ram air with no other mods?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

not sure what you mean...

the lid and FTRA don't require other mods to work...they ARE the mods

sorry its morning...i feel like being sarcastic

"Does a non-ram air hood take in air the same as a ram air hood would?"

what part of ram-air is confusing....compared to a NON-ram-air?
the RA hood has scoops that allow cool air from outside the engine bay to be pushed into the intake track. the standard intake sucks air in from in front of the radiator...through a pretty small hole.

"With the factory hood that is on my car would I be better to get a volant air intake or SLP flowpac? Or does it matter? The cold air will still come in the same with either one???"

with the stock hood...the lid combined with the FTRA or the SSRA would be the best choice. it will draw cooler air in from outside, and with less restriction than the stock intake. the volant is not a bad intake...even on stock hood. but i don't think it works any better than a lid. and i think the lid combined with the ram-air (FTRA or SSRA) is better than the volant alone. and you can't use the volant with the FTRA or SSRA, before you ask.

NOW...
with the ram air hood, i think the volant is more effective of an intake than the lid is. it offers a straighter, less restrictive blast of cool air from the ram air vents.

so if you're SURE you're gonna get the ramair hood later...i'd just do the volant now...so that you don't have to buy things twice later.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

I must have mis read. Thought someone told me the Fast Toy lid required a larger MAF.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have an option for a 78 or 85mm.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

I have the flowpac, but I will be upgrading my lid soon to the Fast Toys. The smooth bellows is a visual thing.

By the way, get rid of the Flowmaster muffler (saw it in your signature). They suck for LS1s. Im sure if you do a thread search you can find out more about that.

Last edited by bpaulk76; 11-07-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought their lid several years ago; it does not fit well, however.

Their cold air scoop made of sheet metal and placed in front of the radiator caused my A/C to blow hot....