Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fernco Mod: What's All This Bitching?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking Fernco Mod: What's All This Bitching?

Seriously.

I read thread after thread on this board with sandy-vagina opinions expressed about the difficulty of various modifications or services done to these LS1 F-bodies (plugs, porting throttle bodies, headers, motor mounts, etc.). I am going to tell you right now this is all kids stuff.

The Fernco mod is no different. I think it took me 30mins of dicking around to complete the install in 1*C weather using this post as a guide:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....07&postcount=4

The only thing I did differently was the 1/4-1/2" cut made for me ended up being the far side of the relief of the coupler into the relief for the hose clamp. I removed the exact width of this section 1/2" way around the coupler, which faces up and toward the MAF/Lid. This was followed with a trimming of the inside of the throttle body side of the Fernco, roughly a 45* angle 1/4" into the coupler to allow the throttle body to better ease into the rubber coupler.

Then I tossed it in the water for 15mins, jammed the coupler over the MAF, and then onto the throttle body. Put on the hose clamps, snapped the lid back on, and took the car for a short drive with no problems.

The only reason I made this mod was to accommodate the wet nitrous fogger nozzle that will be installed soon. That and the factory bellow was getting hard and brittle after 118K miles.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People complain about the smooth bellows/fernco mod because it causes lots of negatives and absolutely no positives. The fernco/smooth bellows mod (the fernco is more notorious because it's incredibly stiff) takes almost ALL the flex out of the intake. The motor does not stay perfectly still, especially on the stock rubber mounts. It twists and flexes and pulls on the airbox. This is not an issue with the stock accordion-style bellows as it is soft and spring-like. After the smooth bellows/fernco mod, the stiff bellows causes twisting on the lid. This often results in the lid rubbing against the top of the hood, causes the lid to fit improperly and have sealing issues, and in some cases, even cracks the lid.

And you get all this for zero horsepower. You just spent time, money and energy on a mod that does nothing but cause problems. That's why people complain about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Chaco - the smooth bellows mod is an appearance mod at best!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any dyno proff that it does not add any power or just what everyone has heard or thinks? i've done it to mine not say'n it added any power, just did it cause i had time to kill.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Banned

i have it done cus it looks better.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
People complain about the smooth bellows/fernco mod because it causes lots of negatives and absolutely no positives. The fernco/smooth bellows mod (the fernco is more notorious because it's incredibly stiff) takes almost ALL the flex out of the intake. The motor does not stay perfectly still, especially on the stock rubber mounts. It twists and flexes and pulls on the airbox. This is not an issue with the stock accordion-style bellows as it is soft and spring-like. After the smooth bellows/fernco mod, the stiff bellows causes twisting on the lid. This often results in the lid rubbing against the top of the hood, causes the lid to fit improperly and have sealing issues, and in some cases, even cracks the lid.

And you get all this for zero horsepower. You just spent time, money and energy on a mod that does nothing but cause problems. That's why people complain about it.
no power gains, spent money and negatives........kinda like a K&N air filter
Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by z2fast8
is there any dyno proff that it does not add any power or just what everyone has heard or thinks? i've done it to mine not say'n it added any power, just did it cause i had time to kill.
You're never going to get any dyno proof of the smooth bellows adding any power. Two back to back dyno runs will vary more than SLP's advertised horsepower gain. Anyone that's ever dynoed a car before can tell you that letting a car sit and cool down will yield more than a 5 hp gain on a dyno. Therefore, it's impossible to gauge that ~5hp gain from SLP, meaning their claim is pure BS. All they had to do to get that BS figure is let the motor cool down. Ooo, here's our proof for that $60 piece of plastic!

It's a bigger scam than the Turbonator. At least the Turbonator makes sense in theory. Hell, it's actually cheaper than the smooth bellows!
Originally Posted by GMmexican
no power gains, spent money and negatives........kinda like a K&N air filter
Yup, except the oil from the K&N filter can actually get on your MAF causing a huge spike in line pressure for an A4 and cause your transmission to fry the clutches
Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

Wow; dude did you even read his whole post? He said he did it for a nitrous jet.

Also, I think he was wondering why people complain about the installation difficulty, not the mod itself.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fernco is a lid cracker. I know from experience...dude.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Def a good mod if you want a place to put a n2o nozzle like he did.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt have any problem at all getting my smooth bellows on. It looks nicers, not cheap like the stock one and I havent had any issues with it or the lid, except for hood rubbing but that will change once the motor mounts go in.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
I didnt have any problem at all getting my smooth bellows on. It looks nicers, not cheap like the stock one and I havent had any issues with it or the lid, except for hood rubbing but that will change once the motor mounts go in.
On my side note, I got the SLP flow pack, no fitmint issues and my LID doesnt rub either, stock mounts.....
Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Wow; dude did you even read his whole post? He said he did it for a nitrous jet.

Also, I think he was wondering why people complain about the installation difficulty, not the mod itself.

Ding! Ding!! Ding!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read the post, not simply react to it.

Can I see it cracking the lid? Maybe. I really had NO PROBLEMS installing this part, and didn't have to force the lid on. As for the supple nature of the factory bellow: I already stated that it left a long time ago.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Yea, I read it. My analysis doesn't change: it's useless.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i have the SLP lid and smooth bellows . . . i'm goin with appearance on the bellows. i've got some problems goin on with mine and i know others who have an SLP lid are having this great rubbin issue and i've also got a second problem now . . . this damn bellows doesn't want to stay on the TB!!!!! i was thinkin it was something different why my idle would be funky every now and then or sometimes i got better gas mileage then other times: keeping record of gas mileage is very simple, i drive the same route everyday 5 days aweek highway mileage. this what your talkin about chaco when the engine flexs and moves?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I've got the SLP bellows. $50, 5 min install, 1.5 yrs, no problems. Fits perfect, smooths airflow, looks better.

People spend wayyy to much time worrying about what is a simple little intake mod. I didn't bother dicking around with plumbing parts (not badmouthing those who did), just ordered the SLP bellow when I ordered my lid and air filter and was done with it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

My smooth bellows have been on for over 2 yrs and still no problems. Install took 5 minutes tops and yes it looks alot better than the stocker. The stock one didn't work well with 85mm maf. The bellows even have a notch for it so it works perfect.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...st3.132001.htm

install university has a link that shows there results.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

the link shows a very small increase due to the fernco, but an increase nonetheless. good post black99.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure what 20 cfm translates to in hp but it has to be worth something especially on a heads and cam car.

Quick Reply: Fernco Mod: What's All This Bitching?