Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching stock headers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching stock headers...

i have read that it is not worth switching headers if you are just sticking with shorties on the 2000 up z28s because the stock ones are just as good. but would it be worth putting 2000 up stock headers on a 98 z28. would it even bolt up the same or would it just be better to buy aftermarket headers. i know that i want to stay with shorties because i dont want to have to redo my cats and y pipe... thanks guys.. Tyler
Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really worth doing, if you really really want to use shorties someone does sell a ported 00+ exhaust mani, I've read it's good for around 10 HP.

Most will agree it's longtube or bust on this car.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorties are only good if your worried about keeping your cats. And even then it's suggested to get a set of high flow cats to help get all the power from the shorties. In the end you probably still won't maker the same power as you would with LT's & ORY. But if thats your choice do it right & get a real set of shorties & y-pipe w/high flow cats.

I'd honestly say putting another set of stock manifolds on is like changing socks just to put another dirty pair on. It's pointless.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 AM
whs
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I'd honestly say putting another set of stock manifolds on is like changing socks just to put another dirty pair on. It's pointless.
]

Yes, but the later ones are supposed to flow better and every little bit counts. 5 or 10 hp might be worth it to him. However, from what I understand the design of the Y-pipe and the way the catalytic converters mounted to the later manifolds is different than the earlier cars. So it isn't going to be a simple swap.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys your right about it not being worth the hassle. i am going to go with longtubes and i found some flowtechs that have caught my eye. they are 1 3/4 primary tube and 3" collector. do you guys think these are good ones.. thanks again for all your help
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Launching!

the stock manifolds are pig ******* heavy though and i don't think anybody would be able to polish the inside of the rough *** manifold...so stick to the headers