Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick exhaust question (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick exhaust question (video inside)

hey everyone! I searched before asking yet another exhaust question....

I'm just trying to figure one thing out!

I am wanting to put some kind of muffler on my T/A, now... I am doing it for the sound, not really caring about increased performance right now, my car is a daily driver and I just want it to sound mean enough to scare the ricers around here...

here is a video (yes a ford) - I did a few years back when I had a mustang... after much research, I finally got that car sounding the way I want!

http://www.fastwearz.com/1chambers.wmv

my question is: what can I do to get my T/A to sound something like this... - I am thinking flowmaster? (I love flowmaster's tone) - or maybe SLP???? (I've listened to the clips at ls1sounds.com, but with different video cameras, placed in different locations, it's really hard to get a feeling for volume og how loud it is....

any advice on which muffler to get (I am not going duals, I just want to do a muffler or catback, but really maybe just a muffler (I do my own welding) - because I actually like the factory shaped tips in the back the way it is....

I just want to know which muffler will be the loudest and deepest sounding! - OH! and does anyone know the stock input/output pipe size??? I am guess by looking, 3"in/2.5" out?????

thanks!

Last edited by bill9000; 11-22-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Try headers with a kooks catback to get somewhere near what your looking at. Unless you want to dish out a but load of money for custom bent true dual. It will give you a better tone. I have a loudmouth 1 catback and it is a lot louder... but i like the kooks tone better. But if your just looking for loud , loudmouth 1 is best. Hope this helps. Id let you know what it sounds like but i have no way of recording my car.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bill9000
hey everyone! I searched before asking yet another exhaust question....

I'm just trying to figure one thing out!

I am wanting to put some kind of muffler on my T/A, now... I am doing it for the sound, not really caring about increased performance right now, my car is a daily driver and I just want it to sound mean enough to scare the ricers around here...

here is a video (yes a ford) - I did a few years back when I had a mustang... after much research, I finally got that car sounding the way I want!

http://www.fastwearz.com/1chambers.wmv

my question is: what can I do to get my T/A to sound something like this... - I am thinking flowmaster? (I love flowmaster's tone) - or maybe SLP???? (I've listened to the clips at ls1sounds.com, but with different video cameras, placed in different locations, it's really hard to get a feeling for volume og how loud it is....

any advice on which muffler to get (I am not going duals, I just want to do a muffler or catback, but really maybe just a muffler (I do my own welding) - because I actually like the factory shaped tips in the back the way it is....

I just want to know which muffler will be the loudest and deepest sounding! - OH! and does anyone know the stock input/output pipe size??? I am guess by looking, 3"in/2.5" out?????

thanks!
why on earth would you want your car to sound like that mustang it sounded horrible
Old 11-22-2007, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

i had loudmouth 1 catback on my car for along time and i loved it. it had a nice deep sound cruising but at WOT it is really aggressive sounding.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTslOw
why on earth would you want your car to sound like that mustang it sounded horrible
well, I like loud pipes, and the flowmasters have a deep healthy sound, I got compliments on that car every day for the way it sounded...

I guess everyone has a different opinion...

my question was in regards to, if I put say a flowmaster 80series on, would it be much louder than stock? I am concerned that it would'nt be.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS14U2NV
i had loudmouth 1 catback on my car for along time and i loved it. it had a nice deep sound cruising but at WOT it is really aggressive sounding.
I've heard good things about the lm1, is there a big difference with the loudmouth 1 & 2?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

do yourself a favor brutha, check out ls1sounds.com before asking us our opinion. im with GTSLOW, why the hell would you want your car to sound like that thing? it sounded very unrefined and annoying to me. i think we can all agree that loud is good. we didn't buy muscle cars to sound like the family station wagon. but with the technology today, there are plenty of systems that offer good volume as well as good sound. dont you want a refined tone that actually has some personality to it? anyway, there's my two cents. this is a prime example of why you dont want to base your decision on others' opinions. LS1sounds.com is a great site with a variety of applications to listen to. my good friend built that site and its very informative. good luck buddy

Last edited by Raise; 11-22-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Launching!

thats sounds like a magnaflow or corsa on ls1's deep tone with a little rasp.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Raise
do yourself a favor brutha, check out ls1sounds.com before asking us our opinion. im with GTSLOW, why the hell would you want your car to sound like that thing? it sounded very unrefined and annoying to me. i think we can all agree that loud is good. we didn't buy muscle cars to sound like the family station wagon. but with the technology today, there are plenty of systems that offer good volume as well as good sound. dont you want a refined tone that actually has some personality to it? anyway, there's my two cents. this is a prime example of why you dont want to base your decision on others' opinions. LS1sounds.com is a great site with a variety of applications to listen to. my good friend built that site and its very informative. good luck buddy
thank you for the thoughts, I agree... that opinions are just that.
I was really excited about the ls1sounds website, but problem I learned is this:
with each person having a different videocamera, different distances away, some inside, some outside, there are so many variables that it makes it very hard to discern what it really might be like....

here's an example, I went to the Flowmaster, SLP, GMMG, and Magnaflow areas of the site, from the site, I was thinking I liked the GMMG alot, but... then I went to the "Stock" portion, and listened to an audio clip, it sounded louder than the flowmaster and the magnaflow.... what that tells me is, that the recording conditions can vary SO MUCH, that it's really not a good way of knowing how loud something is.... if the recorder is placed right under the pipes, and the stock exhaust sounds loud, how is one to know that the other exhausts really are loud? cause the stock one sounds loud on the ls1sounds website, but its not in real life...

so basically, I am bummed that I cant get an accurate volume idea from the website, and I have only seen ONE LS1 in my town (Reno, NV) - so there's not even anyone local I can meet and ask/listen to!!!!!!

So, I guess I am off to Summit to go buy a Flowmaster and hope for the best... and if I dont like it, I guess I'll cut it off and get something else!!!! - I just was hoping someone had some thoughts...

have a happy Thanksgiving everyone! thanks for the posts
Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

The 80 series flowmaster is pretty quiet i wouldnt put that on there. I used to have one. But go for it if you want to.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the Flowmaster 80 will give you what you want. My brother has one with manifolds and it sounds good. Plenty loud, IMO. A buddy has one with LT's and ORY, and it is very loud.

If you wanted to do an entire catback, GMMG would meet your goals. But it is expensive. The FM will sound almost as good for a lot less money.

Hooker and Magnaflow will be too quiet for what you're looking for. If you want nasty, raspy, unrefined loud, the Loudmouth would do the trick.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by youguessit
The 80 series flowmaster is pretty quiet i wouldnt put that on there. I used to have one. But go for it if you want to.
ok, this is exactly the info I was looking for, thats kinda what I was afraid of!!!!!

thank you!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bill9000
I've heard good things about the lm1, is there a big difference with the loudmouth 1 & 2?
i haven't heard the loud mouth 2. i went with the loudmouth 1 originally cause i thought i was going to keep my car stock after that, but i was wrong and ended up getting LT's and duals. i think loudmouth is one of the best sounding for stock. if you do decide to put LT's on it is ridiculously loud and annoying. i hope that helped some.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GMMG sounds great but do cost a lot. I have headers and no cats with SLP D/D's. I think they sound good IMO.

Bill
Old 11-22-2007, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

slp D/D is a little more quieter then the loudmouth 1.............
Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster 80 series is quiet as hell with stock manifolds and cats. Its only a tiny bit louder than stock imo. You want to scare ricers.. get LT headers and True duals. If you are keeping stock manifolds and Cats think about putting on as little muffler as possible like an LM1 or short bullet muffler or Flowmaster 1 chamber or getting a cutout but cutouts on stock manifold cars just sound like beater trucks imo.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Flowmaster 80 series is quiet as hell with stock manifolds and cats. Its only a tiny bit louder than stock imo. You want to scare ricers.. get LT headers and True duals. If you are keeping stock manifolds and Cats think about putting on as little muffler as possible like an LM1 or short bullet muffler or Flowmaster 1 chamber or getting a cutout but cutouts on stock manifold cars just sound like beater trucks imo.
ok, this is very helpful, ok, I think this is enough I'll steer away from the 80 series... how I have heard one chamber's (flowmasters) before and I think they are awesome, but how do I do that when my car has a crossflow style muffler? - is there some way of adapting the tailpipes to fit it?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is the problem with a T/A it will look weird with only a single pipe out the back. Really the only thing I can think of doing would be to buy something like an LM1/2 or TSP Rumbler or if you want a Flowmaster get a 1 chamber and have custom exhaust bent using that muffler. you can put he muffler under the car (it will hand pretty low though) or since its a very compact muffler you might be able to have it put in the rear and still have space for the dual pipes. 80 series flowmaster sounds great though and would be a good option if you like the flowmaster sound but don't expect it to be very loud.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
That is the problem with a T/A it will look weird with only a single pipe out the back. Really the only thing I can think of doing would be to buy something like an LM1/2 or TSP Rumbler or if you want a Flowmaster get a 1 chamber and have custom exhaust bent using that muffler. you can put he muffler under the car (it will hand pretty low though) or since its a very compact muffler you might be able to have it put in the rear and still have space for the dual pipes. 80 series flowmaster sounds great though and would be a good option if you like the flowmaster sound but don't expect it to be very loud.
well I certainly appreciate this info, I do LOVE the flowmaster sound, but I want it to command attention, I want it loud.... would an off-road Y with the flowmaster or the aerochamber make it louder? (I recall with the mustangs, since they have 6 cats, when you put an off road pipe in them, they get 10x louder. are these the same way?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Yes it would make it much much louder, but then again a drive a 2000 ss with Lt's an ORY and LM1 as a daily driver and i love it! If its to loud you are to old! Ha ha. but honestly everyone has there own opinion. I think you would love the loud mouth as long as you left the stock manifolds and cats, but after that it gets to loud and raspy for most. I personally love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. If you are going to go the other way LT's an ORY and an Hooker Aerochamber would probably suit you best.