Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY!!! Got my exhaust built- 4" Mufflex, SpinTech, LONG

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FINALLY!!! Got my exhaust built- 4" Mufflex, SpinTech, LONG

I have been referring to what my exhaust setup is going to be on this forum for quite some time... now I can finally refer to what my exhaust setup is.

I am running Dynatech headers, slip-on merge collectors, and a total of 3 mufflers... a bullet after each collector, and of course the SpinTech out back. The exhaust is mandrel bent stainless dual 3" into a Flowmaster Y that is located WAY back... the actual Y is near the middle of the driveshaft. The reason it is so far back is because I have the LGM tunnel brace/DS loop, and there wasn't enough room to come through the DS loop w/ a 4" pipe... so I came through it with dual 3" pipes...

In any event, the car has the G5X2 and a set of mildly decked LS6 heads, so compression is right around 11:1 or so... needless to say, it is pretty rambunctious-sounding without the exhaust on it... now, at idle, it's deceptively quiet... I've got the car moving around a bit because of the cam, but the exhaust note is nice and mellow. It rumbles a bit, but any hint of the "snap, crackle, pop" idle it had (even with the bullets in place, but no exhaust behind them) is now gone. Good. When driving, it's just f'n neat, that's all I can say... nice and mellow with enough ***** to let ya know that something's there when accelerating under a light load, and when cruising (anywhere between 1500 and 2200) there is no drone or anything... in fact, it is quiet enough to hear the mildly whining 4.10's in the rear end. EASILY quiet enough to hold a conversation on my cell phone, windows up or windows down.

When you're on it... well, it makes some noise. NICE noise. Not obnoxiously loud, but nice and meaty... DEFINITELY quieter than a partially/fully open Borla on even a stock-cammed car. However, because the car isn't fully tuned (and has a LOW 5800 RPM rev limit), I haven't had a chance to explore the WOT/redline symphony yet...

So far, I am THRILLED with it... I have a few issues to work out (a rattle or two to hunt down), and then I'll go see how much power it is taking from me... I dyno'd (a partially-tuned) 430 rwhp/400 rwtq through header extensions (read: pipes V-clamped after the collectors) before, so we'll see what we'll see. It certainly doesn't feel noticeably weaker. I also need to make some "test pipes" to swap in place of the bullets to see if that makes any difference in sound/power. Honestly, I may end up wanting a more agressive sound... the SpinTech muffler is WAY more effective than I'd thought, so having the bullets in place may not be necessary in order to have a socially acceptable exhaust note.

All in all, I'd have to give SpinTech two VERY big thumbs up!!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Default Re: FINALLY!!! Got my exhaust built- 4

congrats... sound like a nice set up
Old 06-22-2003, 09:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
Old 06-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Do you have any sound clips?
Old 06-23-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, guys... I'm still REALLY hyped about it...

Anyhoo, unfortunately, I don't have any sound clips... perhaps even MORE unfortunately, I don't have a way to get any... though I have to admit that if you go to SpinTech's site and go to the sounds/videos section and download the video of the Corvette (it's a C5), the sound is pretty similar.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was thinking about getting a Spintech muffler, but with my FLP LT's through the ORP's, I think it might be too loud compared to my now "perfect" sounding SLP dual-dual
Old 06-23-2003, 07:20 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Spintech is loud (at least mine is). Maybe they offer a quieter product. Check out their website and give them a call.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's the bullets I have after the collectors on mine (I doubt it, though, since I started the car with the bullets in place but the rest of the exhaust MIA, and it was still LOUD), but mine is quiet... in fact, out of the people that have heard it, the comment that I have gotten the most is that it is TOO quiet... I'm not sure which series of SpinTech that Mufflex uses in their kits, though.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Do you have any pics of your Y-pipe going back that far.. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Never heard of that before.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll see if I can get some pics and post 'em up either later today or tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pictures, as requested... still have a little bit of "tidy-up" work to do on the exhaust, but you all get the gist of what's going on here...

http://www.geocities.com/l98_s10/Exhaust.htm
Old 06-26-2003, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

Dude, that is absolutely beautiful!!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wild... thats the exact same setup I have... Including the bullets after the headers collectors, except that I have Grott headers and no driveshaft loop yet.

LG built the setup for me about 2 years ago, and its as good as you make it sound, as well as it picked me up some 30 lb/ft through the midrange.

Chris

Quick Reply: FINALLY!!! Got my exhaust built- 4" Mufflex, SpinTech, LONG