Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install

Plan on bolting on a new set of heads,ls6 intake with ported TB all at the same time, my question was how easy would it be to install the headers with the heads removed? Id imagine it would make it cake to do, but i may be wrong, what are your thoughts?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

why are you removing the heads? with a lift, a couple of friends, you should be able to get it all done in a day or two depending on how well you know what you are doing.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

plan on swapping the heads out for a better set, im looking at a set of ported and polished 5.3 heads with bigger valves right now. So i figure i might as well do the headers while i have the top of the engine disassembled. So do you think it would make it easy this way?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have your intake and all that off and the new heads bolted onto the car, I don't think it will be hard to get them in at all. The only problem I had was the **** on the drivers side of the block. The passenger header slid right in, if I had to file the tab down enough to slip the header in...took forever. I would put the heads on first then bolt them up, it is not that hard.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

I was thinking slid the headers in first while the heads and everything are off the car, then throwing on the heads and bolting everything up that way.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

doesn't matter, just take your time. don't rush like i did and cross thread your header bolts ...oh and don't drink while you do it....bad things come to those that drink and work on their car....
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't think it would matter. I would put the heads on first though, I thought the thing that was in the way the most were the coil rails and valve covers. I would just do whatever you want.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a few pointers in the link in my sig. Never thought about it with the heads off. Personally I'd bolt the heads on first, then get the headers on. Like stated, the coil packs are the most in the way. Take them off, and don't be afraid to throw that damn back bolt on the pass. side bracket into the abyss.

-J