Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley install,.. remover tool "nipple" is stuck in crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley install,.. remover tool "nipple" is stuck in crank

So I'm doing a whole bunch of mods to the car, so I dropped the entire cradle out.. engine/tranny/k-member..

I borrowed Pro Stock Johns pulley remover tool to do the ASP pulley.. It has this little pointed nipple on the tip. I was like ok.. i figured it was good to go since I got it from PSJ.. anyway..

I start trying to remove the stock pulley but am having problems.. and I pull the tool out and notice that pointed nipple thing is gone, look inside and sure enough its stuck in my crank and I can't get it out.

Anyone have any ideas? This happen to anyone before?

The ONLY thing I can think of that will save me from buying another crank is trying to jbweld it back to the tool.. but I'm not sure that will hold, i'm sure its pushed in there very tightly... plus its not my tool.

ANyone have any ideas?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Default Re: Pulley install,.. remover tool

GM recommends using an insert in the crank when pulling the pulley off. You can purchase this through Kent-Moore. It slides in where the bolt used to go and the tool pushes against this solid, flat piece. Alot of people just use the old crank bolt in place of this.

If you could get some pics, I can try and think of something to get it out.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Pulley install,.. remover tool "nipple" is stuck in crank

per your request:

http://www.dxsoftware.com/misc/DCP_0698.jpg
http://www.dxsoftware.com/misc/DCP_0699.jpg

That thing has a little pole that sticks out toward the camera about half an inch.

I've removed countless crank pulleys on V6 no problem by using the method i did today.. But as I think about it, the V6 has a larger crank bolt I think, the tool had no problem butting up against the base in the V6 cranks..

*sigh*
Old 06-29-2003, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

try drilling small hole in it and use tap or easy out to grab it, turning it with either tool may cause it to walk out if not no damage done.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

You may have damaged the threads in the crank as well. Good luck and make sure you chase the threads before putting your new bolt in.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you reach the pole with a set of ground down needle nose? It may not be in there as tight as you think.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It was in there TIGHT... no way to grip it with any type of tool... and would be very difficult to precision drill it that far in the crank..

but god bless JB Weld, it worked. I put it on yesterday mid day after I made my post and tried it this morning. No problem. Now to check the threads..

Edit.. Bolt threads in no prob at all .. Kick ***!

Thanks guys.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Man did you ever luck out!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now for the proper way to do this. Once the bolt is out you get a large allen head cap screw. Big enough that it just barely clears the crank threads. Now put a couple of big flat washers under the head of the allen head cap screw. The flat washers need to be just slightly smaller than the OD of the crank. Put the allen head cap screw into the bolt hole in the crank and buck the point of the puller tool up against the hole in the head of the allen head cap screw instead of in the hole in the crank and TURN,TURN,TURN. The pulley comes off and if the tip gets stuck in anything it will be the allen head cap screw NOT the crank snout.