Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crank pulley removal

ok, the motor is the ONLY thing in the car, no flywheel, no tranny or anything, so i cant hold it in gear or anything like that to get the motor to not turn over. i DID try to jam a big screwdriver in the pulley and hold it against the motor, took a 4 foot breaker bar to it and just bent the screwdriver in half. i dont have an aircompressor or any impact tools so thats not an option either. has ANYBODY removed a stock pulley from a motor without a flywheel and without an impact gun? this is the only thing holding me back from tearing the rest of the motor down!!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: crank pulley removal

Wow, that's gotta be tough. Well, you've probably already thought/tried this, but here goes...

Get a buddy with another breaker bar and have him jam it and hold it in there while you turn. That's about all I can think of right now.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats an idea i had, tell me if this would work

i have some 1/4" stock lying around the garage, i was going to drill a couple holes, bolt it to the flywheel mounting holes on the back of the motor, when i'd turn the motor over it'd hit the subframe and wouldnt let the motor spin. any cons to this idea?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok I used the method that i suggested above, worked out great, till i forgot that i didnt have a pulley puller (son of a bitch....) so i guess it'll have to wait till morning.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

JMX had an interesting idea he offered in another post...

remove the head, stuff a tennis ball inside and loosely bolt it down...this should stop the engine from turning...

...my factory crank bolt was very very very tight... good luck!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, flywheel holding tool.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My motor is on a pallet. I had the same trouble as you.
I was able to take one of those black pry bars that Home Depot sells for $8.95 (shaped like an "L", and pulls nails as well), wedged the short end within the pully, and arranged the long end against the pallet. With a breaker bar and 1/2" ratchet, I was able to snap the crank bolt free in three tries.
You may have needed a longer "L" bar in your case, since the subframe might be farther away from the pully.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Hey man glad you got it. When I did mine I wedged the curved end of a tire tool into the crank pulley and the long end I wedged against the frame and the garage floor and the bolt came out no problem. Getting the pulley off is another story, I broke one of the 15 dollar 3 jaw pullers and had to rent one of the 80 dollar ones and it worked great.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

i used two old flywheel bolts screwed them in adn put a small bar in the back and had a friend hold it there while i am on the other end and with the breaker bar and my 24mm
Old 07-11-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever heard of a chain wrench? I guess not.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Has anyone ever heard of a chain wrench? I guess not.
I have, but thought the tool and method I referred to earlier might make the job easier.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Teching In

I don't know If this will work with an LS1 but I have done it on another car. I have a impact setup and it didn't have enough power to turn the bolt with out turning the motor. I pulled the coil wire and attached my socket on a breaker bar and put it on the nut. I then had my wife bump the starter till the bolt broke loose. It worked like a charm. The starter put out much more torque than I ever could. Try it, it might work.
Jason
Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know If this will work with an LS1 but I have done it on another car. I have a impact setup and it didn't have enough power to turn the bolt with out turning the motor. I pulled the coil wire and attached my socket on a breaker bar and put it on the nut. I then had my wife bump the starter till the bolt broke loose. It worked like a charm. The starter put out much more torque than I ever could. Try it, it might work.
Jason
I've heard about this method, but wasn't sure if the motor might make more torque than I could resist with my forearm if the crank bolt DIDN'T come loose. Haven't heard any negative stories so far!
Old 07-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I think you would want the breaker bar to be pushing against the ground or frame. Wouldn't want to even try holding it I think your arm would go