Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend a good sounding exhaust that'll pass NJ inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone recommend a good sounding exhaust that'll pass NJ inspection?

Well, its that time again for my car, inspection time coming up in March. I live in central, NJ and the public inspection stations are critical of the way my car sounds. Rather than keep paying to get it privately inspected, I think I am just going to buy a new exhaust for my car. My car fails the visual inspection because the SLP loudmouth isn't a muffler and they told me 4 years ago that every NJ car has to have a muffler, so it looks like I gotta buy one. Its been a while since I've researched anything exhuast related.
If I am going to buy a new exhaust, I might as well buy one that I'll be happy with.

So what are the best sounding exhausts, with mufflers, out there that are reasonably priced?

I've heard Borla exhausts sound nice and loud. Doesn't Borla make a system that you can control how loud the resonator gets or something? I am open to suggestions.

I'd be looking for something that would be as loud as a Loud mouth, but something that has a muffler and where you are able to control how loud the exhaust is. IF they even make anything like that.

Appreciate the help in advance.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Oops, by the way, its a 98 LS1 Camaro.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I almost forgot something important too. I recently bought the APS Twin Turbo setup. I guess I would need a good exhaust setup that would work well with a Turbo system as far as backpressure.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow w/a cutout
Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Hey JerseyLS1TA, Do you like the sound of the Magnaflow? Also, is there a way to adjust the sound levels?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I like my hooker exhaust, but If I lived around salty roads I would of gotten a stainless steel system like magnaflow. I really like Corsa, GMMG- if you have the money you will love them.

I would look into the borlamouth setup, sounds great and may be just what you need.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

where in NJ are you?

If you want adjustable get a borla and sneak an electric cutout in it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I am from Central Nj. I usually either go to Ringoes or Piscataway for inspection. However the Piscataway guys are very rude and I've dealt with them before. I'll have to check those options out. I guess at this point, I'd be looking for something that would pass future inspections and something that would work well with the APS Twin turbo setup. I would assume there would be too much back pressure with the SLP LM, plus its why I am failing as it is. According to the inspection people, all cars need mufflers in NJ. Resonators won't do it.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

your car will never pass a visual inspection with the catless turbo system...i would just pay the 50 bucks to get it inspected at a private shop. you can keep your LM and get 8 inpections (16 yrs) for the price of one catback. north jersey shops never cared about my car when i had the TSP rumbler on it

if you still want a new catback, I would look into stainless steel systems only for the weather here but i'm sure you're already aware of that need. you don't need your catback rusting up on you over the course of one winter.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my Borla with the QTP cut out and would do it again. But...If any inspection station looks under the car it would fail because any kind of device that diverts exhaust from going through the muffler is illegal. So...If they look under the car or put it on a lift, your screwed.

Re'
Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what? The turbos may quiet things down a little, so try putting on your kit first, then if not happy, go and get a hooker or magnaflow.

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a good sounding exhaust that'll pass NJ inspection?