Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the difference between headers for.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default whats the difference between headers for.....

98 z-28 and 02 z-28? Isnt it just the egr? My big question is what do you need to do to make my dynatech headers with egr work with an 02 z-28? If I just cap off the egr on the passenger header the only thing I would have to do? Or is there other things that will keep me from making it work on the 02?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 and 2002 ls1's didnt have the EGR stuff. If you have a 98-00 ls1 im more than positive that the 01-02 headers will work if you DONT want EGR and AIR. You can buy the race style headers or cap the emissions banks off
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
2001 and 2002 ls1's didnt have the EGR stuff. If you have a 98-00 ls1 im more than positive that the 01-02 headers will work if you DONT want EGR and AIR. You can buy the race style headers or cap the emissions banks off

yup thats what i thought. I'm trying to sell my headers that are for a 98-99 to someone whos got a 02. Trying to find out for sure if hes gonna be good to go if all hes gotta do is block off the egr on the header
Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yep all he's got to do is block off the egr
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Ok i'm pretty sure of this also. I'm gonna go ahead and make the sale. If anyone else has any info it would still be great hearing. Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

b u m p
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

i would like to know also senicalj4579 that if they can be used. Not to hijack but i have a '99 WS6 and got a LS6 manifold, so when i buy headers im gonna keep my AIR but dont want that EGR just sitting there!! lol

So it looks like everyone is saying that they are pretty much universal? Just that the newer ones have the AIR and not the EGR, unlike 98-00 which have both EGR and AIR right?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

yes. and the air connections are located in different areas on the manifolds. might have to add some rubber pipe to the driver side. i dont know i pretty much gave up. there dosent seem to be anyone here with the experience i'm looking for
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dynatechs came with the egr pipe open, it's supposed to be plugged for 01-02. I just bought a bolt at home depot and plugged it.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/marklsx/car/
Here are some pics of the AIR on my installed dynatechs, tough to see much in the cramped engine bay. I also took some pics of my 01 exhaust manifolds so you can compare vs the 98. I have some pics of the headers before the install at work that I can get on tuesday. Hope ths helps.

Mark
Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Mark, theres no need to take anymore pics. Those ones do the trick. check out the air pipe connection on my driver side header...see where its turned 90 degrees compaied to yours and its on the first primary? Thats what I needed to look at.It looks like in order to use my 98-99 headers on a 01-02 I would have to use the air pipes from a 98-99. Mark man thanks alot for your help. Problem solved.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting... makes you wonder why GM changed those details. Glad I could help.

Mark
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Default '02 z off road headers

ok so lemme get this right to make sure i understand this. i have a 2002 z and i ordered some pacesetter LTs, where i live i don't have to pass emissions so i ordered the race style no emissions headers. now theres 2 sensors that hook up to the manifold on each header. i believe its smog? (thats what a mechanic told me) so what do i do? i don't want to have wires hanging around, but i can't hook anything up to the headers because theres no opening. do i just block off those 2 sensors? will that damage anything? the guy that told me it was the smog said if i didn't have that hooked up it would mess up my o2 sensors. so now i'm wondering if i need to reorder some different headers
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
ok so lemme get this right to make sure i understand this. i have a 2002 z and i ordered some pacesetter LTs, where i live i don't have to pass emissions so i ordered the race style no emissions headers. now theres 2 sensors that hook up to the manifold on each header. i believe its smog? (thats what a mechanic told me) so what do i do? i don't want to have wires hanging around, but i can't hook anything up to the headers because theres no opening. do i just block off those 2 sensors? will that damage anything? the guy that told me it was the smog said if i didn't have that hooked up it would mess up my o2 sensors. so now i'm wondering if i need to reorder some different headers
If you have race style pacesetter you have "clean header" no EGR or AIR on them at all. No emmisions in your state just pull the AIR out of the car (located on the drivers side underneath the headlight) Two hook up your front 02 sensor (gonna need extensions) nicely and neatly tuck the rear 02 sensor wires away. damage anything not really car might run a lil rich but can be tuned. the rear 02 sensors can be tuned out. Ive got the same header no probs at all except for the SES light. hope that answered your questions
Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

thanks man i appreciate it! that answered my question exactly. i'm having my full exhaust installed this coming up monday. did you get yours done at a shop? or do it yourself. i'm taking it to a dealership and they quoted me 400 to do the LTs, ORY and catback that needs to be welded and also to change my plugs and wires and tune any codes out. they did say though that worse case scenario they would have to drop the k-member and it would be 640 at that point but they wouldn't know until they got my stock manifolds off. do you think they would need to drop the k-member?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man i appreciate it! that answered my question exactly. i'm having my full exhaust installed this coming up monday. did you get yours done at a shop? or do it yourself. i'm taking it to a dealership and they quoted me 400 to do the LTs, ORY and catback that needs to be welded and also to change my plugs and wires and tune any codes out. they did say though that worse case scenario they would have to drop the k-member and it would be 640 at that point but they wouldn't know until they got my stock manifolds off. do you think they would need to drop the k-member?

Hellzzzzz naaahhh!!!! There is absolutely no reason and i do mean no reason to drop the k-member at all. Plz dont let the dealership rob you man. I did my headers myself with no problems. Just had to get the car high enough to get the collectors perpendicular with the ground. that and i need to get the car tuned but waiting to install my cam for that. Dont let them drop the k-member there is seriously no need at all for them to drop it. Iguess 400 aint really bad for all the work but aside from the welding and tuning way too easy to pay the stealership to do the work. And if they drop your k-member im flying over there and whooping their ***
But while your there ensure they gurantee or warranty their work.
On a side note i wouldnt weld anything really, if you mod some more and you want to separate any part of the exhaust welds not so fun. I really suggest the band clamps. you can buy them at any local auto parts store i got mine for 13.50 a piece when i bought the header but im sure they are cheaper. just my .02 tho. that way headers, y-pipe, exhaust ez on/ez off

heres a pick of mine only thing welded in is my cutout thats it
Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Launching!

lol thanks for the info man. i was shocked when they told me they may need to drop the k-member...i was like why? and they said for clearance issuses as far as installing goes. the reason i was gonna get the catback welded on is because i got it used and it was already welded and cut...so it would be hard to connect it with clamps, it needs to be modded to line back up
Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thanks for the info man. i was shocked when they told me they may need to drop the k-member...i was like why? and they said for clearance issuses as far as installing goes. the reason i was gonna get the catback welded on is because i got it used and it was already welded and cut...so it would be hard to connect it with clamps, it needs to be modded to line back up
ahh i understand now