Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

added headers, !air, and !egr..maybe a vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default added headers, !air, and !egr..maybe a vacuum leak?

Ok if any of you saw my car after that rock destroyed it, you know i've had a project ahead of me. I just got my new trans in, and the new oil pan, power steering rack, ect are on.

Well I decided to finally put my pacesetter longtubes that i've had for almost 6 months on. In the process I deleted the air and egr since the headers are off-road.

Now the car will idle then after a few minutes it will start gasping for air and almost stall but won't. At first I was inspecting the engine bay and the dipstick tube was up against a spark plug wire and arcing (i forgot to bolt it back up!). Since the car was hot i just ziptied it to something until i could figure out the problem.

Started it back up and let it run while I started aiming my new headlights (projector retrofit) and it started doing it again. It won't stall but it just drops rmps and starts gasping for air really bad. I can't find any air leaks or feel anything sucking for air. I know I'm going to need a tune, but I'd like to wait until I get my cam installed. But first I'd like to get the new clutch and trans broken in, but FIRST I need to make sure nothing else is wrong lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Default Same here

I have the same problem! i went to autozone and had them scan the codes. they said it was the left bacnk o2 sensor. whatever that means. if i find out how to fix the problem is i'll give you a heads up.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Ok if any of you saw my car after that rock destroyed it, you know i've had a project ahead of me. I just got my new trans in, and the new oil pan, power steering rack, ect are on.

Well I decided to finally put my pacesetter longtubes that i've had for almost 6 months on. In the process I deleted the air and egr since the headers are off-road.

Now the car will idle then after a few minutes it will start gasping for air and almost stall but won't. At first I was inspecting the engine bay and the dipstick tube was up against a spark plug wire and arcing (i forgot to bolt it back up!). Since the car was hot i just ziptied it to something until i could figure out the problem.

Started it back up and let it run while I started aiming my new headlights (projector retrofit) and it started doing it again. It won't stall but it just drops rmps and starts gasping for air really bad. I can't find any air leaks or feel anything sucking for air. I know I'm going to need a tune, but I'd like to wait until I get my cam installed. But first I'd like to get the new clutch and trans broken in, but FIRST I need to make sure nothing else is wrong lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Hmm you hit a rock and it took out the oil pan, trani, and steering rack. Musta been a big ******* rock!

My car does this sometimes after having had the battery disconnecting. Once it warms up and runs closed loop, at idle, it'll almost stall, then rev back up, over and over. Eventually it just goes away and idles normally. I guess it's some sort of re-learn process.

A vacuum leak would behave differently, it would idle high.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will need to make changes to the tune when removing emissions.
invest in a tuning tool of some kind. (EFIlive or other)
the gasping for sounds like a lean condition.
depending on how lean it could be bad for your motor.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

thanks for the help. and yea the rock weighed close to 12 pounds and was about the size of an average human head. It hit the front of the k-member and pinched some power steering lines, put a crater in my oil pan, crater in bell housing, cracked tranny housing, cracked torque arm, bent a control arm, caused me to slide into a median and bent two rims.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

I'm doing a cam very soon, I'm only oging to be driving the car to break in the clutch and trans, nothing to harmful on the engine. It was up on jackstands for the longest time and gas has been in there for almost 2 and a half months too.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default the rock

hi ya i remember that rock with all the pic's, so did ins, state or anyone compensate you for it good luck with it all
Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

mine did something similar, when my battery died and i jumped it. another time when i disconnected it. eventually it went away, i think it was just a relearning thing like someone said above. as for the tune quite a few people on the board run headers without a tune. should just have an SES light. as long as you can live with that then you should be fine. i would wait on a tune till u did the cam for sure.