Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need new valve covers?

I just bought some stock 98 coil packs with brackets, and I need to know if they will bolt to my current valve covers. These are the best pictures I have, I'll get some more today and post up tonight.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No they will not. Those are not stock valve covers....And then even if you got stock valve covers, I'm not sure the 98 coil packs/brackets will work.

98 F-bodys only had bolts around the whole valve cover...99-02 they had 4 center bolts, like what you have.

You could always just fabricate some sort of brackets to put the coilpacks in a different location and keep those cool valve covers.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Not on those aftermarker valve covers. They must have had some type of coil pack relocation set up. What is it going into, and what kind of tranny is that?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Not on those aftermarker valve covers. They must have had some type of coil pack relocation set up. What is it going into, and what kind of tranny is that?
Not sure of the transmission, but that is a transfer case on the end..it is going in a Jeep...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Won't work at all. I believe some sponsors sell a coil pack relocation kit. The type that moves the coil packs up under the coil. Since this is a swap, mount them in a similar location and just make/crimp up your own wires.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to research the relocators. If they're ungodly expensive I'll just make some myself.

Jetlag, if I were to sell these coil packs and buy some from 99-02 should they bolt up? What about the wiring harness, will it plug into my 98 wiring harness?

The transmission is an SM (Muncie) 465. It's a 4 speed with a granny low first gear, so essentially a 3 speed. Transfercase is a Dana 300 which is about to receive a 4:1 low range conversion and twin sticks. The Jeep is a 1980 CJ5 with the cleanest frame / body I've ever seen.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grewe02

Jetlag, if I were to sell these coil packs and buy some from 99-02 should they bolt up? What about the wiring harness, will it plug into my 98 wiring harness?
No, because those aftermarket valve covers do not have the mounting points for any brackets.

Your choices are:
#1. Fabricate mounts for your coilpacks (be the easiest and cheapest)
#2. Sell your aftermarket valve covers and 98 coilpacks/brackets and buy 99+ covers and brackets
#3. Buy a 98 motor to use your 98 brackets (this of course is a joke)

I would take #1. You are already doing fabrication to get the LS1 in there so just do a little more. That firewall is wide open and you could make a neat coil pack holder to mount there. Just need longer spark plug wires.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Hmm. Well, the motor is out of a 98 Trans Am, so maybe I could find some stock 98 valve covers? What do you think would be cheaper, valve covers or relocation brackets?

If both of those options are too expensive, I'll make my own.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

He cant just change valve covers to perimter bolt 98 he would have to change the heads. Coils on all the LS1 are the same anyway. He would only need new stock center bolt valve covers and brackets for the 99 and up setup. It would be like changing heads on a 98. Newer heads needs new valve covers and brackets the coils are the same.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transam295s
He cant just change valve covers to perimter bolt 98 he would have to change the heads. Coils on all the LS1 are the same anyway. He would only need new stock center bolt valve covers and brackets for the 99 and up setup. It would be like changing heads on a 98. Newer heads needs new valve covers and brackets the coils are the same.
Yeah....that's kind of what I said.....

Originally Posted by Grewe02
Hmm. Well, the motor is out of a 98 Trans Am, so maybe I could find some stock 98 valve covers? What do you think would be cheaper, valve covers or relocation brackets?

If both of those options are too expensive, I'll make my own.
The motor might be out of a 98, but the heads are not, the intake isn't either. I hate repeating myself.... sorry to seem like an ***... please read post #7.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetlag
The motor might be out of a 98, but the heads are not, the intake isn't either.
Ah. Now I'm not so confused. Thank you guys for the help. I'll do a bit more research and be back to pick your brains in a bit.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gonna be an awesome Jeep man I don't remember where but I have seen a company that sells a coil relocation kit that moves them to the firewall. I bet you could adapt it to fit your Jeep or at least help you get an idea to help you fab something up. Maybe somebody else knows what I'm talking about and can shoot you a link. Good luck man!!