Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing EGR and AIR? What kind of tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing EGR and AIR? What kind of tune?

Hey, i plan on getting LT (RACE) headers, ORY, and magnaflow cat-back for my car. I will be removing the egr and air for the race headers. But today my dad told me not to cuz it will mess everything up lol. I know it can be done but what do i need to do so it wont mess anything up? What kind of tune will i need? Any write ups? THANX!!!!!

Travis
Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

bump for this..im getting ready to do the same thing and id also like to know
Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Launching!

The only thing that happend when I removed my AIR pump and hoses was that it made the SES light come one, other than that it was perfectly fine. I just had the code tuned out to turn the light off. I found a guy to tune emissions and rear o2 codes out for $40, pretty cheap.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Will i need to get a dyno tune?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

No, but a tune will get you better mpg and more horsepower.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T/A36
Hey, i plan on getting LT (RACE) headers, ORY, and magnaflow cat-back for my car. I will be removing the egr and air for the race headers. But today my dad told me not to cuz it will mess everything up lol. I know it can be done but what do i need to do so it wont mess anything up? What kind of tune will i need? Any write ups? THANX!!!!!

Travis
it wont hurt the car at all, you will get the ses light but thats it. and you will need a tune anyways cause the headers will lean out the motor some. the tune will also tune the car to the mods u have helping it make more hp
Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the emissions components won't hurt performance in the PCM, but it will throw the annoying SES light.

You don't "need" a tune, but it's good to go ahead and have someone delete all the emissions junk out of there for you. Most shops do mail order tunes, I'm sure you could pick up a cheap basic mail order tune with all the emissions stuff removed.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

haha thats funny me dad told me that too, i think he just is afraid of sensors, emissions, and stuff he doesnt understand. mine will be yanked out very soon before i do my lt install to make it easier to get in there. there are quite a few people on the board runnin without a tune with full bolt ons with no problem too although its a good idea for power and mpg as long as u arent plannin anything big soon like cam etc, if so id hold off till then...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
Removing the emissions components won't hurt performance in the PCM, but it will throw the annoying SES light.

You don't "need" a tune, but it's good to go ahead and have someone delete all the emissions junk out of there for you. Most shops do mail order tunes, I'm sure you could pick up a cheap basic mail order tune with all the emissions stuff removed.
like i said you wont need a tune for the emission stuff but i would recommend it for the lt's
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

How long could i drive the car without a tune? I also plan to add a ls6 intake and bigger t/b but i dont know how long after i install the exhaust. thanx

travis
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T/A36
How long could i drive the car without a tune? I also plan to add a ls6 intake and bigger t/b but i dont know how long after i install the exhaust. thanx

travis
I've been on a stock tune with a voodoo cam, NOS, race headers with dumps, pulleys, and no EGR/AIR, Just so you know a bought my car in 2001, I'll be the first to admit it......I'm just lazy.