Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Experts I need some help...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 06:55 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC Experts I need some help...........

A couple of weeks ago, my AC started to blow warm air. I noticed oil leaking from the back of the compressor, so I changed the seals and had the system recharged and pressure checked. It was working fine until this morning...nothing but hot air

I installed the seals as per the GM specs.

If I didn't install the seals right in the first place I think the problem would have come back right away, not after 10 days

Is there anything that the AC shop could have done wrong that would cause this to happen?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2003, 07:52 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: AC Experts I need some help...........

You prolly have another leak.
Did this shop check for leaks after the recharge?
Old 07-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Check your orifice. It is a small inline filter in you ac line. it may be clogged. they run about $4.00. You have to recharge the system though. Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:10 AM

They said they checked for leaks and that the system was leak free They also put a vacuum on the system for 30 minutes.

The best part was when I called to see if I could bring it in today they tell me that their AC tech is off today typical lazy *** Floridians! If I was back home in NY it would have been fixed today!

I'll post back when I figure it out.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

no shop would put a vaccum on your a/c for 30 minutes unless they forgot about it when they went out to lunch. they should have used a special dye that shows up if your a/c is leaking.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:01 AM

They told me the right way to vaccum it down would be to do it overnight and I told them no way. They didn't put any tracer dye in the system either.

I'll give these morons one try to find the problem, if not it's going to the dealer.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Launching!

I would try another shop. These clowns obviously do not know what they are doing.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

First off check if your the compressor clutch is engaging. If it's engaging, check to see if it's short cycling, if it's short cycling you probably do have a leak, or possible refrigerant contamination. If it doesn't short cycle and remains engaged, then check the orifice tube by simply feeling the hoses. The hose right before the OT will be warm to hot and the hose immediately after will be cold, with condensation forming on it if the orifice tube is working properly. However in your case, I'd guess the shop is not telling you the whole story and you still have a leak that they didn't fix or fix properly.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Stop by your favorite dealer! and ask Andy or I for a bottle of dye i can give you,Then you'll find your leak within seconds if we or Mr Norris shines a black light on it
Old 07-27-2003, 05:28 PM

The compressor clutch is engaging. I let the car sit since yesterday, when I backed it out of the garage I saw the dye on the floor. I guess they didn't check the system for pressure

turbohawk: I wouldn't go near Courtesy(formerly Don Mealy) Chevrolet if you paid me to. They were good before Courtesy took over and started phasing out the old staff. I go to Classic Chevrolet for my wife's car or AC work on my car. They were too busy to get me in this time, that's why I went to an AC repair shop.