Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install help needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install help needed!!!!!

OK, just recieved my PPC's and have spent 2 days trying to install the drivers side header. The passenger side slide in nice and easy, but there seems to be no room fro the drivers side. All ideas are appreciated on what I can do. Also, maybe I should have tried this in the beginning but, I just swapped my heads and cam at the same time. If I removed my driverside head Is there any guarantee the header will drop in from the top and leave room to reinstall the head? Also, on the same note, since I already installed the head with a new gasket and torqued it down but never started it, can I reuse the head gasket or do I need to go and buy another one?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 07-28-2003, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Header install help needed!!!!!

Not sure about the PPC's, but when I installed my SLPs from the bottom I removed the steering linkage. After that, they slid right in -
Old 07-28-2003, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, the steering linkage, the oil filter, and the aluminum "nubs" on the block get in the way and or you don't have enough ground clearance. Can you tell us where you are hitting when you go to put them in? Did you call PPC? These headers are the same Grots design as Thunder and QTP, have you checked threads on theose installs?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have done searches on these others and I have the car WAY up int the air so I can get the header stasnding up under the car for the install. But I get stuck by either the oil filter housing if I go in one way or between the underbody and the block if I angle it another way.I had a friend try and help, he has installed alot of headers and he couldn't figure it out himself. So I am just lookin for more advice to try. I have heard to loosen the motor mounts but I am afraid of that. If I do go that route, do I loosen all the mounts or just the driverside?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

The key is probably to take out the engine mount bolts and then jack the engine up. When I installed my Kooks, I tried every way possible and until I removed the mount bolts nothing worked. I think the PPC is a Grots design so they will be very similar to my Kooks.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, it's super easy to unbolt the motor mounts and jack it up with no header in. It's not as simple putting it back together. I've found that NOT removing the bolts, but loosening them to the point where it will pivot is the ticket to getting it back together.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

are the plugs out? if you have the plugs out the steering linkage out the oil filtre out and that little piece above the oil filter removed they should just sqeeze in.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I went through this very same ordeal with my PPCs. Remove plugs, oil filter, the breather above it, un bolt the stearing shaft, and last but most importantly pull the crank case bolt and let the oil drain. The only reason why it was an ordeal for me is that I could not get over the idea of draining the oil since it was only a month old. In PPC's defense it is in their instructions. And man they fit great! No banging, burnt oil filters, etc. They sound mean.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like Doc said. To install my QTP's I removed the filter, drain plug, and plugs. Slide header up til it hits, slide forward, slide up again and wiggle. I didnt have to unbolt steering knuckle or loosen motor mounts.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Launching!

QTP's here. Steering knuckle disconnected made it a sinch.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well sadly enough, I have the filter and oil drain plug out, the steerling linkage, removed the driverside motor mounts, loosened the passenger side motor mounts to the last thread or two and loosened the trans at the tail shaft and I jacked up the motor at least a good 3 inches and while prying the tranny to the right, still could not get it up in. I am thinking that the K member on my convertible may be different than those in the coupes. Oh well, at least I tried. Now I am in the middle of removing the intake and head and am going to put it in that way. Does anyone know if I will stil need the steering linkage removed if I remove the head and drop it in? I'd hate to get it all together and not be able to get the steering linkage back in there. Well, I just look at it as another major learning experience. I just hope tomorrow I get to hear the beast fire up and idle. Thanks for all the help!!