Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from the stock exhaust and think WTH did I do that for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone go from the stock exhaust and think WTH did I do that for?

Since this is my only eye candy for a mod I am really interested in it but with the stocker it isn't loud, doesn't drone, rattle or leak. I am interested in the LPP LT's and a complete out the back system to add some power but the they don't plan an emission version and some of the horror stories I read have me concerned. Anyone have regrets? What did you go with that bit you?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Since this is my only eye candy for a mod I am really interested in it but with the stocker it isn't loud, doesn't drone, rattle or leak. I am interested in the LPP LT's and a complete out the back system to add some power but the they don't plan an emission version and some of the horror stories I read have me concerned. Anyone have regrets? What did you go with that bit you?
Took me awhile to find a muffler that was acceptable (no drone & quiet enough). I finally found one in the Super Turbo that sounds good and performs well! Mine is 3" in and dual 3" out.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

I actually like the semi-quite stock system. If I thought I could add some power making headers to it in stainless it would just stay put!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My very 1st set-up out of about 6 that I've tried so far, was the best....for me, at least. Kooks LT's, catted y-pipe, & stainless Magnaflow cat-back. The headers definitely woke the car up, and the exhaust note was sweet. Then I just had to start screwing around with ORY's. Oye! No rattling or droning, but without the cats, the exhaust note is way too raspy.

I've owned both LT1 and LS1 Trans Ams...don't ask me why, but I've found LS1's to be far more picky about what exhaust set-up will produce a nice rumble, while an LT1 would probably sound great with a system fabricated from a bunch of tin cans welded together.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

thats because LT1 is same as old small block chevy, those things always seem to sound nice with a variety of exhausts
Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Restricted User

nope, no regrets
Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> Anyone go from the stock exhaust and think WTH did I do that for?

Yes!

Back in 2004 I was hooked on getting the original SLP loud mouth. Bought it and got it installed with no problems.

I took it out for its first test drive thinking, wow, that is loud, but okay - i guess. After driving it for 2 weeks, I couldnt stand it anymore!!! I parked the car in my gargage for 2 weeks, until I found a different setup to go with.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the wthdidtf (why the hell didnt i do that first).
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, stock sucks!
Its all about what you want, If your happy with the stock sound then stay stock.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

gonna have to agree about ls1s being picky about exhaust...sadly 80 percent I hear on the road sound like crap under throttle

never heard a y pipe setup that sounded good yet, but I'm sure there has to be one

one thing I have to give to the mustang guys is their **** at least sounds good most of the time, no matter how slow they are
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
My very 1st set-up out of about 6 that I've tried so far, was the best....for me, at least. Kooks LT's, catted y-pipe, & stainless Magnaflow cat-back. The headers definitely woke the car up, and the exhaust note was sweet. Then I just had to start screwing around with ORY's. Oye! No rattling or droning, but without the cats, the exhaust note is way too raspy.

I've owned both LT1 and LS1 Trans Ams...don't ask me why, but I've found LS1's to be far more picky about what exhaust set-up will produce a nice rumble, while an LT1 would probably sound great with a system fabricated from a bunch of tin cans welded together.

I have this setup, and have thought of others as well, maybe for a change, but I don't think I ever will. If I wanna go loud, I just open the cutout. Kooks and Magnaflow is a nice sound. All stainless for the most part.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i hated my hooker catback with LT and no cats and off road Y. sounded like ****. i have done true duals with an X for about 3 weeks then switched to an H for clearance purposes. i couldn't be happier and will never go back to a y pipe. i have to say the H pipe is a bit tamer and i can say i prefer the sound of the X
Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i had lm1 with slp's y before the lt's and i loved the sound!!! then when i got my lt's i went with 2.5" pipe with a h and lm1's dumped, i liked it but it was abit too loud. so i had my tips put back on and it got quieter. WOT is still nice and loud but at idle, it's alot like my first exhaust set-up
Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
one thing I have to give to the mustang guys is their **** at least sounds good most of the time, no matter how slow they are
This is very true lol. I've only had my TD's for a week but they are awesome and I'm so glad I did it. Obviously you want a catback and I agree with some of the others thay say magnaflow sounds awesome. Or just get a cutout.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I have the LPP headers and off road Y and I am beyond happy with it, no rattles or anything. I also have a cutout and I don't think it's too loud.
The previous owner put a shitty flowmaster muffler on there which greatly quiets it down, the sound is almost as quiet as stock, of course I run the cutout open all the time.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope! everytime i got an exhaust, or changed it, i've liked it more than the previous one. i dont think i could drive a car everyday without at least a cat-back.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

no.......
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

for the record its not a matter of too loud/too quiet/or even rasp that usually bothers me on LS1 cars...its that if you bolt up a bad system, they sound like frickin speed boats gurgling underwater at idle and part throttle and just unnamed terrible obnoxious noise at WOT

but when you do here a nice one...its pure sex

I'm half dreading bolting my LS1 to the exhaust I have now because I don't know how it will sound (not that it matters, I'll be over budget already so exhaust is out of the question for a while)