Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Loudmouth I Resonator vs Moroso Spiral Flow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Loudmouth I Resonator vs Moroso Spiral Flow

I swapped my SLP Resonator for a Moroso Spiral Flow Race Muffler, and took video of the sounds with the resonator and sounds with the spiral flow. I was curious if anybody might be interested in seeing these before I upload them. File size is quite large because I'm a quality nut, but if anybody is interested, just post here and I'll put up the videos I have. Currently I have clips from the outside of the car (back) under idle and revving up. I also have a litle bit of video crusing around town so you can kind of hear the difference in the car as well, but I still have to edit those a little to get the file size down. Anyways, if you're intersted, let me know. Here is the setup I used to have:

Kooks 1 3/4" headers
Kooks off road y-pipe
SLP Loudmouth I resonator

vs what I have now:

Kooks 1 3/4" headers
Kooks off road y-pipe
Moroso Spiral Flow Race Muffler

I wasn't able to find a sound clip of the new, current setup I now have anywhere online, so some people may be interested. Sound difference is incredible. Way more than what I guessed. Anyways, if you're interested, let me know. Thanks guys.

Last edited by edwardzracing; 04-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

yeah man, i'd like to see the video.

Dave
Old 04-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Bring it!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, here are the clips from outside the car under idle and revving up. If you like loud, the SLP will definitely be your preference, but I like the idea of giving the car a little gas and not having to worry if a cop half a mile away hears it and is just waiting, haha. I'll try to post the clips from inside the car later tonight. Like I said, quality is pretty high, so I apologize if they take too long to load.

SLP Setup
http://www.haleracing.com/videos/sou..._soundclip.wmv

Moroso Setup

Nevermind the slight wind that you can hear, or the white smoke in the SLP video. Enjoy.

Last edited by edwardzracing; 04-12-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing coming up on moroso link.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Strange, working here. Click Here.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Alright, here are the clips from outside the car under idle and revving up. If you like loud, the SLP will definitely be your preference, but I like the idea of giving the car a little gas and not having to worry if a cop half a mile away hears it and is just waiting, haha. I'll try to post the clips from inside the car later tonight. Like I said, quality is pretty high, so I apologize if they take too long to load.

SLP Setup

Moroso Setup

Nevermind the slight wind that you can hear, or the white smoke in the SLP video. Enjoy.
You sir have provided a great service. I have 2 spiral flows that I was saving for true duals, but since funds are tight and I want to finish my suspension and what not before true duals this'll be a great way to quiet it down and not shell out a bunch of cash. Looking forward to the in car videos!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good!!

Did you notice any power loss??
Old 04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the SLP LM1 with the res and a spiral flow stuck in front of the res and it is still way too loud. It helped with idle and a little bit of mid range but still very loud.

I am surprised you swapped. You should of stuck one in front of the other.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

not just trying to beat a dead horse and bring an old post back to life but wouldnt keeping a resonator while adding a any style bullet muffler still be louder that just the buller. i ask because a resonator....resonates....meaning to make louder. am i wrong in my thinking. just a question, please keep the bashing to yourselves.

i am actually about to commit to buying a spiral flow right now to put in place of my LM1 resonator.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redemn93
not just trying to beat a dead horse and bring an old post back to life but wouldnt keeping a resonator while adding a any style bullet muffler still be louder that just the buller. i ask because a resonator....resonates....meaning to make louder. am i wrong in my thinking. just a question, please keep the bashing to yourselves.

i am actually about to commit to buying a spiral flow right now to put in place of my LM1 resonator.
a resonator resonates, but a muffler muffles. 2 is better than 1
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redemn93

In this case, it's only called a resonator because it targets a specific frequency of exhaust noise - its resonant frequency. A resonator's goal is to reduce noise by having sound waves reflect and cancel each other out, while a muffler (historically) just tries to dampen the sound, either with metal obstacles or fiberglass (in cheap mufflers). Many performance mufflers are more like resonators in this regard (for instance Corsa's Reflective Sound Cancellation). On some cars, you will find the stock exhaust has a resonator, and then mufflers later on (my 05 GTO was like this). I would definitely expect a resonator+muffler to be quieter than any one by itself.

To the OP - thanks for the vids! I was going to go Borlamouth, but the spiral flows sound awesome. I might do spiral flows on true duals though, just haven't decided which way to go.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

yea that was a great comparison video, a lot of them put the microphone too close which just clips it anyway! good stuff Im certainly going to consider that.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

THANK YOU!

I was having this exact issue, and you've helped make my decision. I like that a lot, it's not quieter but a lot less rasp. I'd like to do the y-pipe that flows better than my pacesetter (i think it's the flowmaster) but after all that I'd be spending a lot more $$$.

So thanks a bunch!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by white99ta
In this case, it's only called a resonator because it targets a specific frequency of exhaust noise - its resonant frequency. A resonator's goal is to reduce noise by having sound waves reflect and cancel each other out, while a muffler (historically) just tries to dampen the sound, either with metal obstacles or fiberglass (in cheap mufflers). Many performance mufflers are more like resonators in this regard (for instance Corsa's Reflective Sound Cancellation). On some cars, you will find the stock exhaust has a resonator, and then mufflers later on (my 05 GTO was like this). I would definitely expect a resonator+muffler to be quieter than any one by itself.

To the OP - thanks for the vids! I was going to go Borlamouth, but the spiral flows sound awesome. I might do spiral flows on true duals though, just haven't decided which way to go.
FYI, the resonator in the SLP LM1 was designed to make it louder, not quieter
Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yes it does,lol that's why they call it a shotgun res,I will say anyone with a lm1 tired of how crazy loud it is should really look into the powerflo conversion,it sounds great and 0 zero rasp,looks a lil out of place on a camaro with out a cme since there are mufflers behind the tips,but looks sweet on tas,I don't know why more people look into that,I know it cost more than a bullet but is well worth it,
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

sound nice with the moroso..what tips are those? i like them!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

the lm1 sounds tame at idle.

or is it just the video?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds great! My buddy did the same on his H/C SS. The Spiral Flow sounds so much better than the LM1. Much deeper and hardly any drone. They flow better than people might think too, another friend had them in 3" duals on a Cam only T/A, with the cutouts open right in front of the mufflers he did not loose any hp on the dyno.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

I'm at least swapping the lm1 resonator out for a powerstick chambered muffler next month. I like the sound of my lm1 but I want to make it deeper.

Quick Reply: SLP Loudmouth I Resonator vs Moroso Spiral Flow