Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP TD and XS ... driver side collector problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP TD and XS ... driver side collector problem

I got my TDs in the mail yesterday and have had trouble fitting the first piece of tubing onto the XS driver side collector since it's angled kind of high. If I took the car to an exhaust shop could they fix this easily? Would it be easier to just have them install the exhaust?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is XS? Typically we set the slip fittings pretty tight to keep exhaust leaks down. If you can't get it to slide onto the header, you can always take it to an exhaust top and have them bump it out a little. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I'll make sure we get everything squared away!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
What is XS? Typically we set the slip fittings pretty tight to keep exhaust leaks down. If you can't get it to slide onto the header, you can always take it to an exhaust top and have them bump it out a little. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I'll make sure we get everything squared away!
Probably not your duals, frow what i've read the XS Headers driverside collector is angled up too much; been several guys with clearance problems I believe.

To the OP, might do a quick search as I've read about this before... I'm sure an exhaust shop can take care of it for you.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yes it is a problem with the original design on the XS headers. I have them It just took me time to get them lined up and it finally all fit up real nice. Just take your time with it and you can get it
Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
XS are the cheap stainless headers that are sort of all the craze now. They just switched over to LPP. It's not a problem with the TSP set-up. The driver side collector is angled high on the header and it doesn't slip on. Other people have this set-up and have made it work. I just need to know how easy it is to have it done.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
To the OP, might do a quick search as I've read about this before... I'm sure an exhaust shop can take care of it for you.
I've read about it .. most people just say it's a tight fit, but it still fits. I can't get it to fit, though. Or they say it takes some slight modification, but I don't know what has to be done.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
Yes it is a problem with the original design on the XS headers. I have them It just took me time to get them lined up and it finally all fit up real nice. Just take your time with it and you can get it
How, though? I can't slip it on.. I've tried. Do I have to modify it in home somehow?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Well i worked with mine for a little while and finally got it on. Maybe your angles up more than mine did
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can't get the pipe on there at all you might take that piece of the TD's and have it bumped up in size a little bit so it will fit easier. Otherwise you can beat up on your floorboard a little to have some extra room to fit the pipe over the collector.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

I had XS headers w/TSP td's......no problems here
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

i had a slight problem and used a big set of channel locks and sprayed alittle wd40 on it for lube and used a dead blow to tap it on but the channel locks to twist it and wiggle it on
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah, you can find a way to force it on, but then in most cases, it is too close to the floorboard and bangs all the time. The best fix is to cut the collector so it can be bent downwards and then re-weld.