Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Anyone Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Anyone Help?

Hi, I just bought a 98 Trans Am Ram Air and I'm having problems I know it has Hooker long tube headers, LS6 Z06 intake manifold, No cat and No ERG. The car loses power or hesitates at times. It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold it does it when it feels like it. When it starts doing it I can let off the gas and wait a second or two and then it will be ok until the next time. I live in a town where the mechanics seem to know nothing about this engine or the mods. And the guy I bought it from off ebay says it never happened to him ya right just like he didn't know the radiator had a leak!! Someone told me it could be the MAF so I bought a new one and it didn't help If anyone has any ideas or even a guess I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Can Anyone Help?

maybe a misfire? any SES ?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Ok I know this sounds silly but what is a SES? Sorry I'm just a girl who likes cars
Old 08-06-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I know this sounds silly but what is a SES? Sorry I'm just a girl who likes cars
"Service Engine Soon" light

BTW, Welcome to the site
Old 08-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Teching In

OH YA That is on but someone told me that would be on since the cat is gone and all the things are unplugged to the egr?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Might be your front O2s. If the car has stock tuning with those mods, the car may have run rich for so long that it has or almost burned up the front O2s.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

In addition to SES (Serivce Engine Soon), is the car an A4 (auto) or M6 (manual six speed)? If you have an autozone or other carparts place they could "read the codes"-(let you know what they are related to) if you have an SES light. How many miles? Did the previous owner provide maintenance records? ie. When last plugs, oil, trans oil, rear end all changed? More info
Old 08-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I called a mechanic today and asked him if that could be it and how much it would run. He told me that I have no 02's with no EGR...I really don't think he knows much! He told me to get a For-sale sign and by a chevy truck I will take it somewhere else other than him to see if that could be it. THANKS!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Teching In

My car is an automatic. I had it put on a scope and they said it threw all kinds of codes but most of them where do to the fact I have no egr or cat? I do belive they did say along with the MAF code that came up a O2 sensor code did also.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I think your best bet would be to hook up with someone in your area that has experience with LS1's...

My guess is that the previous owner, removed the EGR when he had the longtubes installed, and if he did not have the EGR turned off via programming, it will throw codes, and then since it has off-road y pipe who knows if it has o2 sims or not, which could be causing more codes, then the front o2's might be burned out from running rich, and finally bad plugs could be adding to it...you also might be getting some detonation and the PCM is removing alot of timing, which could be causing the stumbing and hesitation.

Okay, if that didnt confuse you...those are some likey things to check.

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What city are you from, maybe an F-body owner/member is close by that can help.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

What city are you from, maybe an F-body owner/member is close by that can help.
??
yea we are everywhere and most more than willing to help an fellow ls1er
Old 08-07-2003, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

We can speculate all day long here, but it sounds like you need some real professional help. It's nice to see a girl with your kind of tastes, but it sucks to see you get screwed by that ebay a$$hole. I'm sure by now you're beginning to realize that it's usually a bad idea to buy a modified car. It's usually never done right. This website is a good example of all the dumb things people do to their cars. I'm not saying everyone on this website or any website, but there's quite a few mis-informed people out there that don't have the knowledge to think these things through. And when it's all said and done they end up regretting doing the mods in the first place and pawning off their junker to the first person who doesn't know the difference until it's too late. I pity your situation, yet I cannot empathize. Good luck to you.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like a vacuum leak to me....if egr is gone or if throttle body is ported and air is removed...or anything witha hose attached to it has been messed with... make sure that all the holes are plugged or tied in somewhere else...on the throttle body there is a small port at the to that connects to the passenger side valve cover for breather reasons...I accidentally knocked mine loose and it took me like 3 hours to find it..... feel free to e-mail me I'm good at finding whats wrong with a car...
Old 08-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Teching In

I'm From Michigan. This is the second car I bought off ebay. I knew this one had mods and I really didn't know anything about them but he made it sound nice. I do beleive he did them himself by the looks of things. I really like the car I always wanted a ram air But this is not fun when it is not running right! I'm hoping it is something simple but just need a mechanic that knows a little about it. I heard there was a place not far from me in Grand Rapids called Red Line but I can't seem to find a listing for them. I have a someone who is going to take a look at it tomorrow and I told him to look for the things you all are saying I really appreciate everyones help! Being from Michigan I don't have many days left to enjoy the car before it starts snowing again so I hope he can find the problem
Old 08-07-2003, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Is that close to Ann Arbor?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Ann Arbor is a little ways away from Grand Rapids. Not really sure how far a couple of hours I would guess.