Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncommon exhaust setup. Input needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Uncommon exhaust setup. Input needed

I posted a thread similar to this a while back but I would like to get some more input from you guys before I decide to go this route. I have decided that I would like to eliminate the X,H or Y pipe from my setup. Rather I would like to just run two Borla XR-1's off of each header collector and dump them after that. The reason that I want to do this is because I will be running a rather large H/C setup (in sig) as well as a large converter (4000 to 4200). I want an exhaust setup that will have optimum breathing at higher RPM's. I don't care if I loose power down low because I won't ever be in that band with the a stall that large. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking, what are you guys' opinions regarding this setup? Also, I know that it won't fit exactly this way, I'll need to lower them a little with the mufflers being so large, so disregard that.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Really, no thoughts?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think that you would need to run some piping for a little bit of back pressure, plus it will take some heat away from the headers too...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think that setup would work great but you are probably gonna have to "modify" the floor board a little
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

yeah you are for sure going to need to **** up driver's side hump Those XR1s are huge, I honestly thought though that an X Pipe will yield more power than open headers because it scavanges better.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i think that setup would work great but you are probably gonna have to "modify" the floor board a little
Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
yeah you are for sure going to need to **** up driver's side hump Those XR1s are huge, I honestly thought though that an X Pipe will yield more power than open headers because it scavanges better.
Yeah, they are a whole lot bigger than I expected them to be... oh well. From what I was told by Texas Speed, this is the setup that they use on their race car. Evidently this works better with higher RPM applications, you just loose some low end power and I'm okay with that.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why even use those mufflers at all? Why not just put some extensions off the headers and call it good.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Why even use those mufflers at all? Why not just put some extensions off the headers and call it good.
Well, I see where you're coming from, but I would like to quiet it down at lease a little. It would be pretty unbearable with no muffler at all on there, and I'm sure the XR-1's would quite it down some, no?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its going to be loud !! LOL, but if its a race car it doesnt matter. It will quiet it down some is my take but it will be so loud anyway it wont matter.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Its going to be loud !! LOL, but if its a race car it doesnt matter. It will quiet it down some is my take but it will be so loud anyway it wont matter.
Yeah, you're probably right, but won't the XR-1's change the tone a little bit at least? I guess that's what I'm looking for more or less. I'm not sure that open headered LS1's sound that great. Then again, I've never really heard them...