Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which catted Y apart from TSP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which catted Y apart from TSP?

I already have a Magnaflow catback and I'm thinking of adding long tube headers and a catted Y.

I haven't found any other catted Y than the TSP one, maybe I didn't look hard enough? Do you know of other catted Y's and how do they compare with the TSP?

I've read on the of the posts that the TSP catted Y doesn't fit very well (UMI Performance said that). Apparently they're not all the same and can hang too low. Has anyone got the TSP catted Y and can comment on it?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have TSP's and really don't like it. the smartest idea would be just to get 2 high-flow cats and have a muffler shop make a y-pipe for you.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

i got my magnaflow system monday and my tsp catted y came today....i havent gotten under the car as of yet but i put the whole thing together in my basement tonite and looks like it will fit just fine... i also read the posts claiming it dosent fit right and hangs too low but i believe with the way it looks all it will take is patience and just doing it right..the guys who have no complaints about the pipe are the ones who take their time and tweak it just right and get it hanging just how they want it before tightening it down....i plan on doing that this time. i originally had tsp off road y on my car and that thing hung so low it was almost dangerous to have it on there... but thats because i didnt do it right and rushed it..i plan on doing the install on saturday i will let you know how it goes.....also i think either way you slice it any y pipe coming off long tube manifolds will hang low enough to bother anybody...especially if your car is lowered. its something that i think people just gotta deal with. either that or put the stock manifolds and y pipe back on...and who the hell wants to do that?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was a bitch to fit up but mine fits good and sounds great i have no problem with it it is a little low in 1 spot but then again i have a lowered car

get the tsp and have a shop put it on for you despite what ppl think it is actully a nice piece
Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

I have it and I haven't had any problems with it. I was using a lift when I installed it though. It took a good amount of time (like an hour) to get it to fit right, but overall, I'm happy with it. It doesn't hang too low. I could see how people with lowered cars would run into clearance problems though.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to you all for the replies. I'm still unsure whether I should get one of those TSP catted Y-pipes, or get a catted Y-pipe fabricated locally. I need to think about it some more
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the tsp catted y pipe and it took a little work to get to fit but it was well worth it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mindreaper
Thanks to you all for the replies. I'm still unsure whether I should get one of those TSP catted Y-pipes, or get a catted Y-pipe fabricated locally. I need to think about it some more
I would search your muffler shops and see what they can do for you price wise. I just think TSP's cats are in the wrong place to get any kind of stockish ground clearance. IMO, if you want to run cats and have good ground clearance, you need to have the cats right off of the header. Btw, I have the TSP catted y and have just over 3 inches of ground clearance...my plans of lowering the car are now pretty much out the window.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I would search your muffler shops and see what they can do for you price wise. I just think TSP's cats are in the wrong place to get any kind of stockish ground clearance. IMO, if you want to run cats and have good ground clearance, you need to have the cats right off of the header. Btw, I have the TSP catted y and have just over 3 inches of ground clearance...my plans of lowering the car are now pretty much out the window.
You've managed to put me off. My car is lowered (Strano springs + Koni's) and so far it never scrapes, I don't want that to change.

Sounds like a custom fabbed catted Y-pipe is the best option for me
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

i installed my tsp catted y and magnaflow system today.... i took my sweet *** time ...about 5 hours worth, but it was worth it.... ive read that the tsp y pipes are subjective when it comes to fitting from car to car... i had no problems. i have pace setter headers. i took my time and made sure **** was right before i went tightening stuff down... i believe this is the key to being happy with anything you do yourself. i started from the back. i hung the tips first and went forward... i put the y pipe together before i got under the car and used a rubber strap wrench to twist some of stiff points that needed to be adjusted. the pipe fit my car like a glove. i have 5 inches of clearance at the lowest point and 1 inch from the floor board. i can say i am completely pleased with the way the system fits on my car. there is no banging on the floor board what so ever. the sound is healthy with little rasp but is quieter than expected but it does sound healthy. quiet is what i was going for. after months of open headers it is a huge difference. i have read also that the fuel lines being so close to the cat was a concern so i wrapped them with some head shield tape **** i bought from autozone. also i read that the bosch 13111 o2 sensors were crap but i installed them with no problems along with rear 02 sims. i just think that time needs to be taken when installing and it should all be satisfying....at least for me it was
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

o1ls1ssmaro: Thanks for the details. Regarding the ground clearance you mention, is your car lowered?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mindreaper
o1ls1ssmaro: Thanks for the details. Regarding the ground clearance you mention, is your car lowered?
no its not lowered
Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

from what i understand American Racing Headers (ARH) headers and y-pipe have excellent ground clearance, excellent build quality, consistent fit, and are easy to install. I don't have them yet so can't tell you from personal experience, but they look to be the best currently out. do a search and you'll find a bunch of threads.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Omegalis
from what i understand American Racing Headers (ARH) headers and y-pipe have excellent ground clearance, excellent build quality, consistent fit, and are easy to install. I don't have them yet so can't tell you from personal experience, but they look to be the best currently out. do a search and you'll find a bunch of threads.
I've just done a search on ARH. Wow, people have nothing but words of praise on them. I may buy myself a set when I've saved up a bit of money. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Yeah they also cost an arm and a leg.