Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Intake install ?'s

I'm installin a LS6 intake on my 99 trans am, and i ran into some problems.

First off i broke the gray plastic ring that holds the fuel line onto the brass fitting of the intake. Where can i find another one(part# or name)?

Secondly, I unbolted the intake but i cant get it to slide forward. The back bolts were pulled up as much as they can go and the intake is loose but it wont move forward.Any suggestions? I know there is a sensor and a small vaccum line on the back side but i cant see back there.I believe i unhooked the sensor and i already disconnected the vaccum hose from the brake booster but there is another small vaccum line or so ive read.

Any help would be appreciated as i will be trying to get it off tomorrow after work. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

I broke that damn e clip too. I used a very small zip tie and ran it through the holes on the coller and around the brass nipple. Pretty much just takes place of the e clip, and you can't tell. I think its more solid then the clip to. The intake has to come up the forward or you will break the Oil Pressure senser. Everyone does it, I didn't somehow.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah if all the bolts are out. you should try and lift up and swing the rear of the intake around some. having another set of hands to guide the vaccum line around the OPS would be a help. i grabbed my fiance to help me gently move the intake forward. and was much easier than trying alone. as for your fuel lines i did not disconect mines. i took the rails and injectors out as one part and left the lines on them.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They say to use cloth line pin or some type of clip to hold the two rear most bolt up since there is not enough room to remove the bolts. That should assist with removing the intake.

Items to check that are disconnected, some item may not need to be disconnected but are on the same harness and might help in getting the harness out of the way:
Fuel Line (some may leave the fuel rain and electrical in place)
MAP sensor
Knock Sensor (harness may/is attached to the rear driver side fuel rail)
Vacuum lines (smaller HVAC and Brake Booster)
Injector connector (8)
HVAP line and electrical connector
AC compressor clutch and High pressure connectors
Watch out for the Oil Sender and connector (many break it)

hope this help in double checking everything on both the take down and back together.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
8 Second Club

I use a couple of rubber bands to connect the rear bolt together and hold them up high enough to slide it out. Make sure you don't break that oil pressure sender as previously stated.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Take a look at the back of the ls6 intake you are installing. You will be able to see how the vacuum lines connect in the back on the ls1 intake. It's the same. The smaller vacuum line should not be stopping the intake from coming forward a little. You should be able to disconnect it a little easier with the intake forward some. It is more than likely one of the 4 rear bolts still getting hung up in the block.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help, wish i would have read it first lol. My brother came over to help and he broke the oil pressure sender..oh well. I also discovered that my pcv crossover hose has rotted and came apart. Just more **** to fix i guess. Atleast the LS1 intake is off for good now.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

That seems to happen to alot of people with the oil pressure sender. I managed to do it without breaking it, but the more I see this issue on the forum, the more I attribute it just luck.