Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Power going from MACs to FLP's!! both ORYP's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost Power going from MACs to FLP's!! both ORYP's

Well after the nightmare of putting these on. (mostly the Ypipe) I had to remove heat shields dent my floor, cut and splice wires on my one o2 to get it to reach, CUT my FN Kenny Brown DD frame connector to make the Ypipe fit and not rattle against the car. Wrapped teh passenger side header with header wrap. A problem with the EGR pump and tubes. Changed plugs and rechecked wires and ATAP'd. Verdict got the car running ok. TO me it didn't feel as strong as it did with the MACs with the ORYP. Running no catback with either system. I got rid of the rasp and the car is actually quieter with the FLPs unbelievably. NO exhaust leaks the o2s are reading in between 880-900 so they are great and both are really close to each other. So with this feeling that the car just wasnt pulling as hard as it did I asked a friend to run me. We usually pull from a 2nd gear pull and its like we both go no where. We run side by side from start to finish no one pulls away. Its great to have. But since then I've put in the the TR 224/563. 112LS cam which took my rwhp from 346RWHP on average to 366RWHP w/o a tune. Then I ported my TB finally. So with that alone I figured I'd have him by about 1 to 1.5 cars. So the with the LT's on i figured 2cars would be a fair assumption and he didnt have his skinnies on, he had his 17s on. So we do a pull and my car lost low end and he can pull ahead a bit then I hit 3rd and pull ahead of him by about a car then it just holds there. So not only did I lose low end it doesn't even pull that hard. All this has came along with the LTs. I have 150miles on the car with the LTs so its learned everything its going to learn. Hopefully dynoing tomorrow to show proof. I have no idea how this could happen but it did!!!!!!!

Best et w/mods: 12.27et @ 115.48MPH w/ 1.89 60ft with 3.42's, Potenza st. tires, stock clutch
New mods Cartek clutch 12.14et @ 115.21MPH w/1.818 60ft with 3.42's, full interior, 1/2 tank of gas, in 80degrees!TNT wet kit 11.83 @121MPH w/75jets w/1.80 60ft
RWHP 347 RWTQ 352
W/TNT 75jets RWHP 415 /RWTQ 456 SAE corrected
11.41@ 124.65MPH w/100jets w/1.77 60ft RWHP 472/ RWTQ 550
New mod: TR224/563.112LS

Old 09-07-2003, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Lost Power going from MACs to FLP's!! both ORYP's

TUNE THAT THING. With a cam and headers I would expect you to lose power on the stock tune. You are probably running pig rich and may want to check your plugs to see if they are fouled at some point also. With a tune I think you will see upwards of 380 rwhp.

Also im sorry to hear you had trouble installing the FLP's. I came across no problems installing mine and was very easy.

Mark
Old 09-07-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

installing the headers no sweat!! Easiest set i've put on a car. My MAC's were a pain in the butt to get on and off. The Ypipe is a total other story!!! THAT FLP YPIPE IS JUNK!!!!! 2.5in maybe? the worst clamps i've ever delt with and dont work with KBDD frame connectors, the closeness to the floor on the passenger side is dissappointing.

I was figuring the car to make close to 380RHWP w/o the tune. I figured like this. The car made 366no tune on a 90Deg day. So make it cooler, ported TB, and the Long Tubes would put me closer to 380RWHP w/o a problem. i'm gambling to say I'm gonna put down around 360RWHP tomorrow now. I have a MAFT and leaning it out didnt help it according to ATAP!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing i said in efa... tuneing!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Newsflash! Mid-length headers make excellent power! But they don't sound as good as LT's, I'm sure some tuning will help, don't forget to check for knock retard if the headers are banging on something.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

FLP's have been around for a while &amp; time &amp; time again have proven dyno gains over MAC's, &amp; solid results period. You're car needs work. Most people get 50+rwhp from the TR 224 cam, you got 20rwhp, something is wrong.....
Old 09-09-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

As i said I'd have the car dynoed to show "TRUE" results not just SOTP meter.

FYI this is at the same dyno I dynoed the car just 2months ago. IT was 95deg last time in there and the same tires etc. THe only difference's was it was cooler at 82deg's, ported and polished TB(definitely had a gain with that ) new plugs, new oil same kind, the FLP's with the Off road pipes. The air fuel was even .15 difference from this time to last time across the board at max point.

Results are in!!! I gained 4rwtq at 3000rpm where i could care less for a drag car! Up top going dyno to dyno run I lost 2RWHP up top from last dyno. Here's the kicker the car had to make atleast 370RWHP due to the cooler air, new plugs, new oil, PORTED and POLISHED Throttle Body!!! Those things alone should have taken a conservative # too 370RWHP. My guess by the way the car was running before the FLP's was around 374RWHP by a good guesstimate. Soo you can hear it here first. The car LOST!!!!!!!! LOST!!! Horsepower in the range of 5-10RWHP instead of gained! I can't scan the graphs yet but my air/fuel was a great 12.76 across the board. We actually leaned the car out on top 2% to get UP to that dyno result. Cold hard facts ladies!

Old 09-09-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

FLP's have been around for a while &amp; time &amp; time again have proven dyno gains over MAC's, &amp; solid results period. You're car needs work. Most people get 50+rwhp from the TR 224 cam, you got 20rwhp, something is wrong.....
I agree sort of with that statement. The 50 ahhh maybe! Look at it this way. I did more then enough homework on cams to know this for sure. The ones with the most gains needed LTs and a LS6intake if they didn't have them. Hence I wasn't to upset with my before and after dyno results with the cam. I figured the car with MAC's was going to make close to 375RWHP with the P&amp;P TB and a cooler day. With that said I was figuring and told that I need a LS6intake on my 98 Z and a set of LT's. Too get closer to 385-390RWHP with that combo. Then have the car tuned with LS1 edit to squeek it up close to 400 or better RWHP. SOO as you said that most get 50rwhp and you can read as i just stated and you'll see where somethings not adding up. Partly the FLP headers in this case. Maybe its the JUNK Ypipe they have. That Ypipe is smaller then my 88GT mustangs Hpipe for a 302 POS!! I wanted the interchangable cats etc and FLPs have a good name and still will. I'm not saying they are junk just not as I expected dyno proven.

OH and not sure of the name of the new LID out for our cars. Its smoked in color see through. Well a friend put that on his car last nite. Yep it was worth every penny in looks to him. Cause thats all it got him was looks. The regular MTI lid dynoed 5RWTQ more and 4RWHP then the more expensive lid of "NEW" design. Don't create the wheel too many times or you'll lose. I'll find the name of it tonight cause it slipped my mind for now. They advertise a 7RWHP gain over the other lids. GUESS NOT THERE TOO!!!! Isn't it nice to have a dyno 30mins from home and your friend own it!!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

It is a tsp lid. I have the smoked one. we did two pulls with the tsp and the last one with my old mti clear lid and I gained everywhere.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

The 2 TR 224 cams my friends have gained 50+rwhp. One has a 99 T/A, the other a 01 SS. Both M6's. FLP's y-pipe is not that great, but I will be going to true duals so it won't matter.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really they gained 50PLUS RWHP!!! What do they run in the 1/4????
Old 09-10-2003, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Yes they did. BadeSSt gained 54rwhp. Raging Motorsports did the dyno &amp; tune. He hasn't run it at the track so far. He's running FLP's too.