Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential of LS1 coils?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential of LS1 coils?

Anybody know of a circumstance where (properly functioning) LS1 coils couldn't cut it?

i'm looking to spark high boost (35psi) and high rpms (8000)... on a 6 cylinder by the way...

any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Potential of LS1 coils?

what's the motor application? inline/v6? heads/CR/ other stats?

they're good coils, but i dont know how they'd do VS 35 psi, but i suppose fine w/ a good plug and wire.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

ROOL:
Old 09-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Teching In

2JZ-GTE (supra motor)... 3.0L inline 6, 4-valve, pent chamber... my engine management only has 3 ignition outputs, so i'd have to run the coils in a pseudo wasted spark mode (fire two at a time) which would further decrease their capacity...

wondering what the HP record is on LS1 coils? not a lot of (big) boost LS1s, but there's plenty of big nitrous cars...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

well, i've only heard of some in the 1k plus RWHP range, and that's been dual power adders so far, but i think he had switched to truck coils. something about cleaning up the spark above 800 RWHP if i remember correctly. seems as though they were a better choice, and those were still making power.

now as far as firing two at once, that just sounds like a bad idea. twice the voltage at one instant, when it should simply have a coil per cylinder.

the 2jz is a phenominal engine, and to adapt it to coil on plug would be step up from where it is allready. im sure that you allready know there's been t-88'ed supra's runnin in he 9's w/o ever even lifting the head off the block. (dont know of any LS1's doing that)

your brick wall here is going to be x-fering the factory ignition signal to the LS1 coils, and doing so, at the specific coil, at the correct instant for your timing events.

pull that off yourself, and my hat's off to ya. ;D
Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I think Max from Sound Performance is running LS1 coils on his Supra. I think he's making power power with a single turbo setup.

I've heard of one FI LS1 car hitting 850wrhp and then switching to truck coils because they had misfires they could not explain.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vents

If I am not mistaking they are doing it with the AEM engine managment system. I think you can hook up up to 5 coils (each fired twice). Thats enough for a 10 cyl. engine.

Nicetobeblown

FWIW I was part of the Ethanol Vehicle Challenge for the UTEP team in 99-00. We were working with MSD to develop a better ignition system for the LSX based engines. Mind you we were working with Ehtanol (E85) and needed help with cold start performance. They used our competition vehicle, 99 Silverado, for their R&D.

If I recall correctly from what I was told the stock system was to good and they dropped the project because the financial returns would be small.

I am not to sure of the internal workings of the coil, was working on another aspect of the competition, but IMO depending on how you set it up there should be more than enough time between firings to fully charge the coil at 8krpm.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Niceto....

Have you run a search on the AEM forum?

When I did a search for info on an LS1 EMS I ran into a lot of posts on this very subject/conversion.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you have 2 outputs on a coil one of them goes to the cylinder which is on compression the other is on valve overlap(exhaust/intake stroke). The plug in the non-compression cylinder provides the ground path for the plug in the cylinder under compression. If both plugs are put into a cylinder under compression the flyback voltage on the primary side of the coil sky rockets and this creates a high voltage short duration spark. I build motorcycle ignitions and we use the Dynatek .7 ohm high energy igntion coils. I have tested at least 20 differant types of coils, auto and bike. The automotive coils generally take more time to charge(more impedance or resistance to the charging current) and will provide a slightly longer burn time. I have designed my motorcycle ignitions to use 1200 volt industrial output drivers that switch in nano seconds. This creates an extremely high initial firing voltage and around a 3ms burn time with the Dynatek coils. I see no drop in igntion output until around 18,000 RPM with a 4 cylinder waste spark setup. I also have the ability to program the amount of stored energy in the coils and the controller can dynamically adjust for varying load and battery conditions. Typical primary side voltage on the coils is around 1,400 volts AC with a peak of +860 volts when the coil is fired. Most auto coils have trouble with the insulation breaking down after a short time at these voltages. Well I have written a novel and did not mean to. My vote is for the low ohm Dynatek coils. Just my opinion though. Oh by the way we have made 600+ hp at 42 psi boost with nitrous on a 1428cc motorcycle engine using these coils.