Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in coolant

Checking fluid levels before a road trip showed low oil (~1qt) and oil in coolant (muddy). I did have a ps cooler house blow a few weeks earlier (noticed coolant under car at work). I walked away and took alternate car for trip.
Whatcha wanna chime in with? Flush and pressure test? I'm heading back home tomorrow, and ready to work on it. Dunno if coolant is in oil yet. I didn't notice it first pass on oil level check. D'oh!

-JS

PS this is LS6 transplantg in 00 WS6
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devouru
Checking fluid levels before a road trip showed low oil (~1qt) and oil in coolant (muddy). I did have a ps cooler house blow a few weeks earlier (noticed coolant under car at work). I walked away and took alternate car for trip.
Whatcha wanna chime in with? Flush and pressure test? I'm heading back home tomorrow, and ready to work on it. Dunno if coolant is in oil yet. I didn't notice it first pass on oil level check. D'oh!

-JS

PS this is LS6 transplantg in 00 WS6
Sounds like a blown head gasket.Do a compression test,pressure test and a leak down.Is the motor boosted or nos?If it's NA then it would have taken a lot of detonation to take out the gasket.Hope you didn't drive it with coolant in oil as that will kill the bearings.Oil wil not always show up on dip stick so change the oil and hope for no coolant.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressure test and see what you come up with before you assume the worst. If you are running Dexcool it will get "muddy" looking from air getting into the cooling system.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 396375
Sounds like a blown head gasket.Do a compression test,pressure test and a leak down.Is the motor boosted or nos?If it's NA then it would have taken a lot of detonation to take out the gasket.Hope you didn't drive it with coolant in oil as that will kill the bearings.Oil wil not always show up on dip stick so change the oil and hope for no coolant.
Good luck.
Thankx for the replies f-olks. No juice, no boost, and I don't think I have dexcool in it. Low miles driving with the oil in coolant. I'll be ripping into it soon and posting results for support.

-JS
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Usually with a bad head gasket you get coolant in the oil making the oil look milky, not the other way around. It's kinda hard to get un-pressurized oil to squirt into the coolant passage in the head. SOMbitch is right the dexcool coolant that comes in it from the factory gets muddy and brown real easy... its garbage. As long as the oil looks good I would flush the cooling system with water and then put green coolant back in. Just make sure you get all the old coolant out first because you can't mix them.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If he has one of them Power Steering Coolers from the Factory, I can see that being the problem here..

He said that a PS Line blew off of that Cooler, and there was Coolant under the Car.

I have one of them Coolers, but I'm not using it, and it leaks Coolant out of both of the Hose Fittings on it. I have it Capped, but eventually I'm relacing that whole section with a solid Hose.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
If he has one of them Power Steering Coolers from the Factory, I can see that being the problem here..

He said that a PS Line blew off of that Cooler, and there was Coolant under the Car.

I have one of them Coolers, but I'm not using it, and it leaks Coolant out of both of the Hose Fittings on it. I have it Capped, but eventually I'm relacing that whole section with a solid Hose.
x2 a buddy of mine had this problem. ended up being PS fluid in the coolant. check that out. LS1's can use a little oil, you might have just been low.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '91firebirdformula
x2 a buddy of mine had this problem. ended up being PS fluid in the coolant. check that out. LS1's can use a little oil, you might have just been low.
I am pleasantly surprised what I did not find. Drained the coolant and all looks well. It appears there was a small amount of what appeared to be oil floating at the top of the radiator. It looked bad, and dipping your finger into it left and oily mess. I will flush the heck out of it tonight and check oil for coolant. Possible dexcool was in a pocket somewhere and floated to the top? It's gone now, so I can't give detail of what it was. Whew, dodged a bullet I guess.

-JS
'00 WS6 - '03 LS6 transplant, Custom PCM, 1.85 RR's, Dual Valve Springs, Chrome Molley push rods, Hotchkis STB, lower control arms, panhard rod, Eibachs, Bisteins, SLP Loudmouth, SLP LS6 Lightweight Clutch Kit, 160 stat, 6 point roll bar, 5 point harnesses

Quick Reply: oil in coolant