Default Doing a cam install this weekend

Just wondering if I can get a list of all the tools and materials I will need
Old 10-05-2003, 02:30 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Doing a cam install this weekend

Use this link:

www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

I used their cam install guide when I installed mine ... and it is a great write-up. The only suggestion is to not use the spring compressor they suggest, and use the standard screw down type. (Many people have broken bolts in their head because of that tool, including myself). Other then that, that writeup is right on the money with everything ... even gives you torque specs on everything, so you don't have to go look it up in the manual. Oh btw, I used the pen magnets to hold up my lifters, and it worked like a charm.

Old 10-05-2003, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you had posted this a month ago phantom I broke one off at the front, got it out while on the car. Broke another one in the very last one on the driverside. Had to pull the head to get to it. *frown* I tried everything to get it out on the car. It just wasn't coming out. I also will say.. DO NOT use that tool. Even after the first one, I modified the tool for a better angle.. no luck. Now I wish I had just bought a real tool! Other than that though, I agree.. great writeup. Its what I used it, and it was cake other than the bolt issue.

Old 10-05-2003, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

What method did you all use? Did oyu break them using the TDC methiod?
Old 10-05-2003, 03:18 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Guys, I think what is happening is that metal compressor is side loading the bolt causing it to snap! While up until last night I'd never had any issues with it...guess what?! I broke one too!

Has everybody broken the waterpump bolt, or was it a rocker bolt that you snapped?

BTW, the directions will be edited this week to reflect the change.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey JMX...can you add a pic or some CLEAR instructions on the double timing chain? as far as what the 2 dots on the crank gear are and where they go? i think that would help alot..other then that it was all good and my car runs great after using that..

Old 10-05-2003, 08:58 PM

Guys, I think what is happening is that metal compressor is side loading the bolt causing it to snap! While up until last night I'd never had any issues with it...guess what?! I broke one too!

Has everybody broken the waterpump bolt, or was it a rocker bolt that you snapped?

BTW, the directions will be edited this week to reflect the change.
You are absolutely correct ... the waterpump bolt is actually side loaded as you said ... the tool contacts the side of the head, and creates a crappy angle, which bends the bolt. I could actually see the bolt bending as I was doing it on one of the bolts.
After I broke the first one in one of the front cyls, i figured it was just because the water pump bolt was weak, so I went out and got a hardened bolt ... which I broke in the 2nd to back cyl on the passengers side. I almost had to take my head off to get it, since we could not drill out the hardened bolt as easy as the waterpump bolt. Just as I gave up and was going to take my head off, the drill caught, and I was able to get it out.

Other then that, EXCELLENT write-up. It would've taken a whole lot longer without the helpful hints, tricks and the torque specs.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:02 PM

I broke one off at the front, got it out while on the car. Broke another one in the very last one on the driverside. Had to pull the head to get to it. *frown* I tried everything to get it out on the car.
Ouch man, I feel that. Like I said I broke mine 3 springs back from the rear, and I didn't think it was coming out. After an hour or two trying to drill it, lucky for me it popped out. Wow what a horrible feeling having that bolt in there was. (broke it around 11pm on saturday night ... called it a night around 1130 after we couldnt get it out ... then got it out after about a half-hour of trying sunday morning).
Old 10-05-2003, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Where do I get the correct spring compressor at? and does anyone have any pics of it?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done 14 cam installs using this tool. http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/produ...J74FSANH406EEB It's probably not as fast as using the bolt type, but I've never broke a bolt off in a head either. The removable handle is great on the back springs. You can use a gear wrench on the compressor where space is limited.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

I've done 14 cam installs using this tool. http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/produ...J74FSANH406EEB It's probably not as fast as using the bolt type, but I've never broke a bolt off in a head either. The removable handle is great on the back springs. You can use a gear wrench on the compressor where space is limited.
That looks like a really good piece. looks like it will do the trick thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 01:29 AM

That's it. While it is definately much slower and more annoying then the spring compressor in question ... when you spend 2 hours trying to remove a bolt, the time is made up. (or a bunch of hours getting the head off, ouch)
Old 10-06-2003, 01:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you decide to use pen magnets...just be sure to check the ends of them...one of mine popped off!!! I had to get a grabber tool from the store to make a sorry attempt at getting it back...I finally got it with the help of one of the other pen magnets...make sure they dont pull off with a little force...pull on them hard to double check....
also that spring tool is the best...dont waste money on the others that claim to be faster...

also buy a NEW crank pulley bolt...my stock one crossthreaded...took me dam near 2 hours to get the snout cleaned out...then I had to clean up the threads with a hardened bolt...then put in the new crank pulley bolt...scared me a little...thought I was gonna have to tow it to a shop and get charged out the *** for it...thank goodness they make the snout threads really hard and the bolt threads really soft in comparison...

oh...and dont forget lots of beer...and a few helping hands...much easier with friends who can help, and hand you a cold beer.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:51 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I finished up the cam install tonight.

I used the SDPC spring tool for 6 cylinders (all but the back two on the psg side) and that tool is just simply amazing.

For the rear 2 psg side cylinders, I used the ever so popular MORE tool.

These 2 tools combined seem like an awesome solution...the SDPC tool is just lightning quick, low hassle...when it fits. For the tight spaces, the MORE tool is hard to beat.

While they cost an arm and a leg, I think this is the new solution I'm going to have to recommend. Those two above, with the JPR lifter tools (magnets are a hassle, as the magnets can come off!), make a cam swap cake.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

I also had the pen magnet thing stick in there, and had to use another one for 30 minutes to dig it out. Due to not being able to find so many pen magnets, I just lifted each lifter up a few times and made sure they were up there because I only had 3 magnets. They were like $3 here at the autozone, and they only had a few in stock. What a ripoff. None even came remotely close to falling, as they were all still up the next day when I decided to pull the head becuz of the bolt. Talk about scary, I was about ready to sell the car as I've had about 7000 other mishaps and its became a jackstand queen. ahhhhhhh.. Murphys law!

Thanks for the updates to the write-up, still was relatively easy even removing the head due to having the head install writeup on your page!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys, i'll keep you informed on how the install went.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

if you decide to use pen magnets...just be sure to check the ends of them...one of mine popped off!!! I had to get a grabber tool from the store to make a sorry attempt at getting it back...I finally got it with the help of one of the other pen magnets...make sure they dont pull off with a little force...pull on them hard to double check....
also that spring tool is the best...dont waste money on the others that claim to be faster...

also buy a NEW crank pulley bolt...my stock one crossthreaded...took me dam near 2 hours to get the snout cleaned out...then I had to clean up the threads with a hardened bolt...then put in the new crank pulley bolt...scared me a little...thought I was gonna have to tow it to a shop and get charged out the *** for it...thank goodness they make the snout threads really hard and the bolt threads really soft in comparison...

oh...and dont forget lots of beer...and a few helping hands...much easier with friends who can help, and hand you a cold beer.
Yup, that was the first thing we got covered!!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:50 AM

A note about the "beer" during installs. Normally a buddy of mine and me always have a few beers while we're working on cars .... I was changing my oil on saturday, and we had some beers again, I am under my car with it on a jack, and the 220lb guy WALKS into the jack. Well, the car moved alittle and I thought I was going to die, (I had jackstands under there too, so it would've fell, but it was scary either way). No more beer for him.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whats the SDPC tool? i bought the over head valve tool and the cheap lever handle tool and cut off the handle. i found the cheap tool to be the easiest. though i did break a water pump bolt . i couldnt seem to get the other tool to work so i said **** it.

also so SSaction said it' be nice to have a pic of the double chain install and which dots on the crank sproket to line up.

and JMX's right up is the ****, i used it for my install last week, it was a life saver.

now if i could just fix my cam problems and get it running right i'd be even happier :o
Old 10-06-2003, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

I finished up the cam install tonight.

I used the SDPC spring tool for 6 cylinders (all but the back two on the psg side) and that tool is just simply amazing.

For the rear 2 psg side cylinders, I used the ever so popular MORE tool.

These 2 tools combined seem like an awesome solution...the SDPC tool is just lightning quick, low hassle...when it fits. For the tight spaces, the MORE tool is hard to beat.

While they cost an arm and a leg, I think this is the new solution I'm going to have to recommend. Those two above, with the JPR lifter tools (magnets are a hassle, as the magnets can come off!), make a cam swap cake.
What are these tools you talk about?