Sponsored by:

Pushrod Length ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrod Length ?

Hey guys.

My lifters on my new motor have been making noise ever since day one. They are comp OEMs.

I am running the stock heads and FM14 cam with stock headgaskets. On the previous motor I was running with 7.4 pushrods. When that motor let go I had a rebuild done with forged pistons and rods, stock cubes. The block was decked however I can't remember how much... I know it was not much just enough to clean it up and level it out. Is it possible I might need longer or shorter pushrods and this could be the cause for this noise? The motor has been fine for 5k miles or so... just noisy.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of noises are your lifters making? Spend $20 and buy a pushrod checker and measure to make sure. If your block was decked, that would tighten up the clearances, not the other way around.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HavATampa
What kind of noises are your lifters making? Spend $20 and buy a pushrod checker and measure to make sure. If your block was decked, that would tighten up the clearances, not the other way around.
If it tightened up the clearances that could be putting too much preload on the lifters correct?

It's a consistent thumping... low volume. It's what I would consider somethign that sounds like piston slap but on all cylinders.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Launching!

^^^ What he said . An adjustable P/R checker is the proper way checking for the right length P/R's . Most aftermarket cams usually require the p/r to be a little longer than stock due to their smaller base circles as long as the stock deck height and head thickness remain intact .
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very doubtful they decked it so much you are bottomong out the lifters. If you were, the valves wouldn't be closing and you would have bigger issues. Since you don't know for sure how much it was decked, it's all a big guessing game from now on. You gotta measure to be sure.

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
If it tightened up the clearances that could be putting too much preload on the lifters correct?

It's a consistent thumping... low volume. It's what I would consider somethign that sounds like piston slap but on all cylinders.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Very doubtful they decked it so much you are bottomong out the lifters. If you were, the valves wouldn't be closing and you would have bigger issues. Since you don't know for sure how much it was decked, it's all a big guessing game from now on. You gotta measure to be sure.
Understand. As I said it's more for my own peace of mind than anything, the car makes great power and holds good oil pressure so I will check sooner or later.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

I found the build sheet on my motor.

Block was decked .010

To me that doesn't seem like enough to throw off pushrod length THAT much. Is it possible that the noise I am hearing is just my forged diamond pistons making more noise than stock?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

.010 off the head surface adds .010 preload to the lifters which theoretically should help to quiet the ticking sound somewhat. That being said , you still should measure for the proper length pushrods if you want everything to be as good as it can possibly be . It is not hard at all to measure the pushrods , it just takes a little time and patience . I'm running a smaller cam in my car (SEE SIG ) than you have and mine requires 7.425 pushrods and my engine is VERY quiet . Hope this helps .

Last edited by Zitty'sZ; 03-02-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
.010 off the head surface adds .010 prelode to the lifters which theoretically should help to quiet the ticking sound somewhat. That being said , you still should measure for the proper length pushrods if you want everything to be as good as it can possibly be . It is not hard at all to measure the pushrods , it just takes a little time and patience . I'm running a smaller cam in my car (SEE SIG ) than you have and mine requires 7.425 pushrods and my engine is VERY quiet . Hope this helps .
thanks for the input.
The more I read about diamond pistons the more I think it's slight piston slap causing the sound I am hearing.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Forged pistons can be noisy on cold start due to larger clearances, this is likely what you hear. Does it quiet down once the motor is hot?