Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

firing order by degree.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default firing order by degree.

I'm planning headers for my build and have a pretty good idea how to do that. I searched the net and can't seem to make sense of where each of the plugs fire in terms of crank degree. This is a problem that relates to pulse tuning the primaries so if anyone know when the buggers fire i'd appreciate learning about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim7
I'm planning headers for my build and have a pretty good idea how to do that. I searched the net and can't seem to make sense of where each of the plugs fire in terms of crank degree. This is a problem that relates to pulse tuning the primaries so if anyone know when the buggers fire i'd appreciate learning about it.
The LS firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3, and they fire 90° apart. If you assume#1 fires at 0°, #8 at 90°, etc. you can figure out the rest. Remember it takes 2 complete revs (720°) to fire all eight cylinders.

Are you planning 4 into 2 into 1 headers? Why? If you are planning 4 into 1s, why are you concerned about "primary pulse tuning" other than length and diameter of the primaries?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

i got a question too how does firing order/timing affect exhuast pulses would'nt the cam kinda determine how the exhuast would leave?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Ya but if the timing isn't correct you would be letting the gases into the exhaust to early or too late. If it's not in time with the crank then it'll all be off
Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'm considering 180 headers and logic tells me firing should be 90 apart. I get confused with LR LL RL RR. The distance the pulse has to travel is quite long with crossovers at the back so I want to pair the left with rights and need to know time and distance. Merging pairs with short primaries @ 1.625 into 1.75 secondaries and merging those into 2.5 collectors. Why? For the hell of it. Its a project fitting an LS into a 968 Porsche and it has to have sound. But my understanding is the 180s also scavenge very well.

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
The LS firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3, and they fire 90° apart. If you assume#1 fires at 0°, #8 at 90°, etc. you can figure out the rest. Remember it takes 2 complete revs (720°) to fire all eight cylinders.

Are you planning 4 into 2 into 1 headers? Why? If you are planning 4 into 1s, why are you concerned about "primary pulse tuning" other than length and diameter of the primaries?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm considering 180 headers and logic tells me firing should be 90 apart. I get confused with LR LL RL RR. The distance the pulse has to travel is quite long with crossovers at the back so I want to pair the left with rights and need to know time and distance. Merging pairs with short primaries @ 1.625 into 1.75 secondaries and merging those into 2.5 collectors. Why? For the hell of it. Its a project fitting an LS into a 968 Porsche and it has to have sound. But my understanding is the 180s also scavenge very well.
I'm glad that's your reason, because you'll more than likely hurt performance. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

You didn't ask for advice about making power, so i won't bore you with any other than what I just said above.

Have fun..
Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I can't see how you could consider little knowledge regarding an exhaust is dangerous though. You are right i didn't ask advice regarding making power as thats not the point of the exercise and if it doesn't work so what.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I can't see how you could consider little knowledge regarding an exhaust is dangerous though. You are right i didn't ask advice regarding making power as thats not the point of the exercise and if it doesn't work so what.
Show car, huh? Oh well.

Quick Reply: firing order by degree.