Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP me get this ARP crank bolt out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me get this ARP crank bolt out!!!

Never had this much trouble getting a crank bolt out and I've done A LOT of cam swaps, then again this is the first time I used an ARP. I didn't even torque it to spec, probably about 175ft lbs or so. Didn't use thread sealant either, just put it in as it came. Already broke a 1/2" breaker bar and an extension, give me some tips or come pull it out for $50 if you're in houston....lol.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put the breaker bar on it and whack it once or twice with a dead blow hammer and that should do it. otherwise hook up an impact and bump it over once or twice for the same thing. This should just break it loose.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You didn't use the ARP Moly Lube when you installed it?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You didn't use the ARP Moly Lube when you installed it?
No I didn't, I wasn't aware that I had to?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple of more questions. When you installed it, did you change or remove the pulley? If yes, how did you remove and install the pulley?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Couple of more questions. When you installed it, did you change or remove the pulley? If yes, how did you remove and install the pulley?
Swapped from stock to an underdrive pulley. Removed the stocker like I always do, broke the bolt loose with a 1/2" breaker bar and a piece of pipe with the flywheel jammed with a screwdriver. Installed it by just sliding the pulley on and it was on enough for the ARP bolt to go in a good 3-4 threads before it started tightening down.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
put the breaker bar on it and whack it once or twice with a dead blow hammer and that should do it. otherwise hook up an impact and bump it over once or twice for the same thing. This should just break it loose.
Gonna try the hammer trick tomorrow or the next day.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grab a bigger breaker bar. It'll come out - I promise.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Grab a bigger breaker bar. It'll come out - I promise.
Thats what I'm gonna do...lol. Just never had this much trouble before!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a good breaker bar. Slide a floor jack handle over it as an extension.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

call up a fleet shop. they have 1" impact guns that have around 1,600 ft/lbs of nut busting torque. if you throw out $30, someone will stop by and hit it for you. let them know if you don't have air, though.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Use a skil saw.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Broke another breaker bar after trying the beat it with a hammer trick. Im' about to put it back together and sell this piece of ****.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

I am in the same boat as you actually. I put my new pulley in last year and it said to put it on and use the stock bolt to press it on the snout and then back it out and use the new one and tourqe to spec. Well I was never able to get it out and just said F**k it and just tourqed it to spec and left it. I am gonna eventually have to get it out when I do my cam though so I hope somone has an answer for you. Good luck buddy.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I am in the same boat as you actually. I put my new pulley in last year and it said to put it on and use the stock bolt to press it on the snout and then back it out and use the new one and tourqe to spec. Well I was never able to get it out and just said F**k it and just tourqed it to spec and left it. I am gonna eventually have to get it out when I do my cam though so I hope somone has an answer for you. Good luck buddy.
Just pisses me off cause I've never had trouble like this, I'm not sure if it might have stripped or something I don't know, I doubt that but just guessing now. I'm gonna have to borrow an impact I guess, it's coming out one way or another I just hope I don't **** something up beating on it like this.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this happen once in the past because when the bolt first came out, ARP told me to torque it to factory spec... Baaaaad move...

Anyway, the problem you are having probably arose from installing it without moly lube and from using it to pull the balancer on. The torque spec is 190 lb/ft with ARP moly lube.

Your only option at this point is probably to get a 3/4" impact or larger with a good impact socket and hammer the snot out of it. If that doesn't work, a drill is your friend... sorry man. Been there, done that.

Hope this helps.

Shane
Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I've had this happen once in the past because when the bolt first came out, ARP told me to torque it to factory spec... Baaaaad move...

Anyway, the problem you are having probably arose from installing it without moly lube and from using it to pull the balancer on. The torque spec is 190 lb/ft with ARP moly lube.

Your only option at this point is probably to get a 3/4" impact or larger with a good impact socket and hammer the snot out of it. If that doesn't work, a drill is your friend... sorry man. Been there, done that.

Hope this helps.

Shane
Yea I'm gonna try a 3/4 breaker bar first, if that doesn't work I'm gonna try and borrow an impact. This time I will use the moly lube and pull it on with an old stock bolt...lol.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
Use a skil saw.
WTF? and do what with it? lol
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think there's enough room too get an impact gun in there though, I hope im wrong. And would a drill actually get it out????? I used a 3ft. 3/4 breaker bar and snapped it on mine and thats when I gave up.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Hope this helps.

Shane
Hey Shane how have things been at the shop? Im the one who came in and talked to you for a while after I bought the Prothane torque arm mount. Havent gotten my car above 14mpg yet, but it also had a huge intake leak along with the clogged cats.

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I dont think there's enough room too get an impact gun in there though, I hope im wrong. And would a drill actually get it out????? I used a 3ft. 3/4 breaker bar and snapped it on mine and thats when I gave up.
A dead blow socket smacked real hard with a hammer, then a 1" breaker bar with an impact socket on it also may help.