Morel lifters/pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Morel lifters/pushrod length?

232/236 575/578 112lsa
patriot heads

Just installed morel lifters (link type) and i get car together tonight turn over and she spins over like a top , as in i have no compression ...... First i thought the worst and head gaskets didnt seat , so i cussed threw some things and then calmed down . I decided to go on a hunch and loosen all rocker arms and test again .So i try and turn motor over and what do ya know i have compression so is there a different pr length for these lifters ??The only thing that was changed was the lifters.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pushrod length should have been measured. I do believe they are taller than stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Morels are not only taller, they use less preload and have a small range. You need to get an adjustable pushrod and measure. Your preload should be in the range of 0.030" - 0.050". You will likely end up with a pushrod that is 0.100" shorter or there abouts.

Now the bad news. How much PTV is on your motor? Reason for asking, if you threw in a set of 7.400" pushrods you "may" have held the valves open enough to tag a piston (you definitely held them open). Did you spin it by hand prior to running the starter motor? If not, you need to peak into an accessible cylinder and make sure you didn't hit or do a compression check.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Teching In

I should have added this to the list of parts but didnt think the morels were gona be that much of a differenece .Nor was i warned..... I have diamond flatops w/2cc valve reliefs .Which i think should be enough and i did turn the motor over by hand a few revolutions and the motor had compression i can check with a gauge if needed but it wasnt to walk in the park turnin the motor over by hand so id say im ok

Where can i find an adj pr ?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99z
I should have added this to the list of parts but didnt think the morels were gona be that much of a differenece .Nor was i warned..... I have diamond flatops w/2cc valve reliefs .Which i think should be enough and i did turn the motor over by hand a few revolutions and the motor had compression i can check with a gauge if needed but it wasnt to walk in the park turnin the motor over by hand so id say im ok

Where can i find an adj pr ?
Good, motor should be OK then. Thank goodness for that.

Adjustable can be bought most any vendor. Prices are about the same (less than $20). Get the Comp one that closes to 6.800". I would get it from whoever ships the cheapest and can get it to you when you need it.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You also need to make sure that you have proper clearance with those link-bar lifters. If your base circle on the cam is small enough, the link-bar will actually interfere with the block. I hope you checked that out before you put the heads on!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Teching In

I wondered that myself , plus i had read a couple online forum discussions , a few people had bought the morels and they were tight fitting , too tight actually and installed them anyways and ofcoarse they had problems . So with that in mind , i checked movement and clearance of the lifters and everything moved freely, with room to spare .

Thx for the heads up

Thank you to you vettenuts for taking time to post it helped alot i really appreciate ya .

I have PR checker on its way to me . Thanks again guys
Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Haans249
You also need to make sure that you have proper clearance with those link-bar lifters. If your base circle on the cam is small enough, the link-bar will actually interfere with the block. I hope you checked that out before you put the heads on!
There are no hydraulic roller lobes that will cause block to tie bar interference with the Morels. Since none are even over .400 lobe lift but if you are over .420 or more you need to check. Just like pushrod length though you always need to check everything. 90 per cent of engine we get have pushrods too long in them with every brand of lifter known to man.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
There are no hydraulic roller lobes that will cause block to tie bar interference with the Morels. Since none are even over .400 lobe lift but if you are over .420 or more you need to check. Just like pushrod length though you always need to check everything. 90 per cent of engine we get have pushrods too long in them with every brand of lifter known to man.
So Eric, how does that translate to gross lift at the valve? My math isn't working.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
So Eric, how does that translate to gross lift at the valve? My math isn't working.
Never mind...My .660 w/ 1.7 rockers comes to .3882 lobe lift.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by WKMCD
.714 with a 1.7 ratio.