Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP, engine noise?

well cant get any response under internal motor so ill try in here. motor is making a ticking or taping sort of noise from the oil pan area, or is much louder under the car, not hardly noticeable under the hood. usually its there sometimes it sounds fine, but its not normal for sure. only has 40k mi and bought it stock with 36k mi. only raced it twice so far. first time out i roasted my stock clutch going from WOT in first to fourth gear, or what was left of it anyway. could that have done anything? this is my 3rd ls1 and been around a ton. have never ran into this before. anyone had similar experience or ideas? not to crazy about racing in the shootout in a few weeks without knowing what it is.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP, engine noise?

totally off topic but with LT's, an LS6 intake, ported TB, and all the bolt-ons you have, shouldn't you be dyno'n a little higher then 344, seeing as its an M6? even thru a 12 bolt with 4.10's....?? I must be missing something...

As for your engine sound, I wish i had something to offer ya. Have you already pulled the tranny and checked the clutch and whatnot? Is it present moving and stationary? Does it fluctuate with rpm's or mph? Good luck man, I hope you get this cleared up in time!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

actually no, out of 25 ta and ss cars i had the strongest stock internal motor with bolt ons on dyno day, there are alot of m6 on this web site that only have 20 or 30 more that me with a cam, if i had the same cam i would be at 400 hp+.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I have the same noise. I am convinced it is a bad lifter.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys..LS1's are notorious for piston slap, I dont think it will hurt anything. Most all ls1s have some form of this, you should see it after the car has been idiling for a while or it is really cold. I think it is pretty much normal though. BigBlackZ28 I agree with you it could be a bad lifter.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

you guys referrin to the oil filter?

Smokin, I see what you're talkin about. You're car would prolly run strong as hell with a TR224. I'd love to see the numbers when you H/C that beast. Good luck figurin out that noise, I'm interested to see what it turns out to be.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
you guys referrin to the oil filter?

Smokin, I see what you're talkin about. You're car would prolly run strong as hell with a TR224. I'd love to see the numbers when you H/C that beast. Good luck figurin out that noise, I'm interested to see what it turns out to be.
It is comming soon, should be within a few months or so when i find time to do it, and get me a truck to drive and pull the car with. im guessing 420+, which i have seen on stock heads before
Old 10-24-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
I have the same noise. I am convinced it is a bad lifter.
if it was a lifter wouldnt it be more noticable in the valve train and under the hood than underneath the car. and i don't think it is piston slap because it is not temperature sensitive. the motor can be cold or hot, but sometimes i cant here it, ususally i can. and it hasn't always done it. i know atleast 30 people with ls1 cars and none of them have this sound.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well man Im going to have to go with valvetrain noise. With your setup you should expect mild noise, you should at least pull the valve covers off and make sure everything looks up to par. Good luck man

WeS