Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rocker problems

my buddy has a set of yella terras off his car with about 4k on them and wants to reuse them only problem is the roller seems to be pinched in between the arm of the rocker. the roller will not freespin but will spin if you grab with needle nose pliers or if you grab it tightly with two fingrs and spin. any ideas on how to correct or is their procedure. other than that they look brand new and only one other roller is the same way. the rest all free spin. thanks for the ideas and help guys
Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please help
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact yela terra and ask if it's normal and how much they would charge to inspect/fix it. It's not normal.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by massconfusion
please help
Don't use them.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Many people think the rollers spin or turn, not true. The rollers are static, their main purpose is to minimize and give a narrow wipe because of their curvature or arc.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so would they be okay to use? I mean in theory of course when the roller comes in contact with the valve stem it should be stationary or move a minute amount ergo it shouldn't be a big deal seeing as the rolling function of it only cuts a tiny amount of friction. I'm just wondering if this a major deal. I know the engine would still run we are just wondering of longevity if a couple thousand miles like this would ultimately destroy something or just cause premature roller wear and cause for a new one anyway. keep in mind they do roll guys its just tight. also i will call speed inc tomorrow since they are local. but please continue the input it does help.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine has YT's and was never able to get any contact, they are out of Austraila. They have a rep in Mississippi but the guy never returned any calls.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Many people think the rollers spin or turn, not true. The rollers are static, their main purpose is to minimize and give a narrow wipe because of their curvature or arc.
Are you serious?? Where did you get this info????
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vsocks1
Are you serious?? Where did you get this info????
i think he just explained it wrong. like i said they don't roll in the same purpose as a roller lifter on cam does to cut a lot of friction. roller rockers minimize and distribute a more even wear then a traditional rocker arm plus all the wipe area stuff bigdsz said. the roller may only travel 1/16 at most if i recall right and regular rockers actually slide a tiny amount across the face of stem as they push it down. oh well doesn't matter

arguements aside about the purpose of the roller i will try yella terra tomorrow if they are not helpful hopeful speed inc can step in and put in their expertise. i only live about 15 minutes away thankfully.

Last edited by massconfusion; 04-05-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone know where we could get two sets jegs doesn't sell em like that nor does summit even carry them. if we could buy just two we would.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The contact patch or wipe of a roller rocker is very narrow, and the roller isn't really being dragged over the tip of the valve enough distance to cause the roller to spin. If you use a felt tip pen on the top of a valve stem and look at the wipe of a OEM rocker and a roller the difference is amazing. A tuner some years back first told me about the rollers not spinning.

To the OP, a friend of mine put in YT's about a month ago and had to use 2 shims per rocker for a total of .100" to get the correct wipe pattern. The YT's did quiet down his valve train. My friend bought his from Speed Inc.

Last edited by bigdsz; 04-05-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigdsz
The contact patch or wipe of a roller rocker is very narrow, and the roller isn't really being dragged over the tip of the valve enough distance to cause the roller to spin. If you use a felt tip pen on the top of a valve stem and look at the wipe of a OEM rocker and a roller the difference is amazing. A tuner some years back first told me about the rollers not spinning.

To the OP, a friend of mine put in YT's about a month ago and had to use 2 shims per rocker for a total of .100" to get the correct wipe pattern. The YT's did quiet down his valve train. My friend bought his from Speed Inc.
Ok. I understand what you were trying to say now!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok glad everyone is back to being friends now. bigdzs thanks a lot man i appreciate everything. will be calling speed inc. and i appreciate everyone's input
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't use them until you speak with YT. I would try the contact their US rep down south. The rollers are normally free, so the fact that it isn't would lead me to think something has happened to the rocker to cause this (maybe floated). If that is the case, I would see the fact that the roller doesn't move as a symptom of potential other issues. These things see a lot of stress and abuse, contact YT and find out from them what to do. In the mean time, I wouldn't re-install them on my car.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for anyone else that has one broken yella terra, call their mississippi number they will breakdown sets to sell one or two rockers to you. i still have to talk with their tech guy but they pretty much guaranteed me that they will help me out and possibly replace it free of charge if it is a defect. so they were helpful in my case will post updated info soon
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well finally after numerous games of phone tag and talking to new era which was recommended by yella terra i have replacements. it only took like what two months **** that aint nothing. fact is yella terra makes great stuff but sucks in the customer service area. but i am staring at a replacement set that can be had for 99$ shipped from new era. good guys and if you have the time give them a call, just happy i didn't rip my car apart before hand, to reuse the my friends old rockers. questions feel free to pm me
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

are the bearings pressed into the rocker arm with a press ,or by hand ? maybe to much pressure if machine installed crushed the bearing.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no the arms were pinched to gather i partially seperated one like a 32nd of an inch and it spins better just to scared to run them after i do something like that