Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun bearing

so pretty sure i spun a bearing. havent completely drained oil and checked filter yet but oil on dipstick appears to have small amounts of shavings.. car drove normal with no noticable power loss when it happened. just wondering tho to have it checked to make sure engine isnt ruined im basically gonna have the enigine torn apart correct? reason im asking is if so im probly just gonna do a rebuild and start looking for rods, bearings, ect.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A spun bearing sounds like hell... Loud knocking. Pull the drain plug and see whats on the magnet.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

yeah real loud knocking. ive been wanting to put a h/c kit on so figured im gonna be pulling it out in tearing it apart anyways, oughta just rebuild n do the whole thing at once. had to drive it like 10 miles tho when it happened. didnt lose any power or drive any different just loud as f*** knocking. im so scared to see what kinda chunks im gonna find.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I rebuilt a toyota v6 for a buddy with a spun rod bearing and we drove it 20miles to my shop. You probly wont find any thing that big come out. What normaly happens is the bearing doesn't hold in the rod it "spins" around the crank. The big chuncks will come out when you remove the rod cap. With the engine I did we bought a new crank and 1 rod and then honed and replaced all the rings, bearings and gaskets re used the rest. What are your goals for you car after the rebuild.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

wanna put a h/c kit on. maybe some 3.73 gears. the motor only has 78000 on it and was running really strong. last month or so was having some 02 sensor problems so it was running a little rich but nothing major. looking for round 400 horsepower all said in done. its gonna be a daily driver in the nicer half of the year. i live in southern pa.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure you dig deep enough to find the source of the spun bearing. Lack of lubrication? Lack of regular maintenance? Something caused this and your mileage is high enough to blame it on normal wear and tear.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Southern pa, I lived in greensburg pa for 21 years before moving to park city ut. I agree with eallanboggs inspect every part verry carfully to see if something is blocked or cloged in the oil passages. If it were me I would get a new gm crank, take the block to a machine shop and have them hone the cylinders and hot tank it. The block will look brand new and all the coolant and oil ports will be cleaned. Get a new rod, rod bearings, arp rod bolts, main bearings, and piston rings. Top that off with a ported ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, lifters, and your new head/cam combo, and you'll have a nice fresh 400+ rear wheel hp car. Might want to upgrade the clutch while your in there.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

of course! pretty sure was low oil. had some smoke in the exhaust a few weeks prior to this happening so maybe rings? im just assuming to do a rebuild anyways. im gonna have it torn down to find extent and cause of damage. then go from there. basically just hoping its not gonna need much more than maybe a hone and turn the crank. might replace rods. hoping the damge will be minimal.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

any good links to a new crank n rods? anyone know of any deals goin on?