Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.......trex wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help.......trex wont fit

Just puttin it in dot to dot and its hitting the valves, i have no clearance at all i cant even turn the motor over or it will bend a valve. What are you guys doing to get these to fit??????????????/ Is anyone running these with no problems on clearance????? I have a stock 01 ta with stock heads rockers etc. Whats going on?????????????????????
Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

just checked the exhaust valve and its hittin too, wtf? something aint right????
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

pushrods too long?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, people have used those cams without flycutting.

So that means either your pistons stick outta the hole moreso than other LS1's, your push rods are too long, etc.

What head gaskets are you using and how thick are they?

What timing chain are you using? Is it adjustable at all, as far as advancing or retarding the cam? If so, are you 100% SURE its installed staight up? This could be the case, as it sounds like the cam may be installed advanced a few degrees which would make the intake valve open sooner.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

7.400 pushrods. Something is screwed up here, i should have some clearance on the exhaust side atleast? I checked and double checked to make sure i wasnt off a tooth and im not, its dot to dot?? im lost
Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

lol the trex is a healthy stick, it comes with all kinds of pisto to valve clearnce warnings,

are your dots pointed towards each other or when your crank dot is up the cam gear dot faces up as well? easy mistake to do,
Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

head gaskets too thin? heads milled?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
As far as I know, people have used those cams without flycutting.

So that means either your pistons stick outta the hole moreso than other LS1's, your push rods are too long, etc.

What head gaskets are you using and how thick are they?

What timing chain are you using? Is it adjustable at all, as far as advancing or retarding the cam? If so, are you 100% SURE its installed staight up? This could be the case, as it sounds like the cam may be installed advanced a few degrees which would make the intake valve open sooner.
its a completly stock motor, so the headgaskets are factory. Its a stock timing chain and yes im 100% sure its in right, we even put in in at 180 out to make sure we were right. and like i said im running 7.400 pushrods, i also tried the factory pushrod and got the same results
Old 05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe the grind is wrong, who did you get it from?
You should degree the cam, that will tell you the story.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man, I just realized (after I thought your last name sounded familiar) that you are the guy with the blue Firebird from the brothers PINKS episode, my favorite one of all. So I know your no newb when it comes to motors.

I know its not what you want to hear man, but it really sounds like the pistons need flycutting to me. I wouldve thought the exhaust valve wouldve cleared b/c of it being smaller but if its hitting as well...thats not good.

As much as I hate to say it, I think its time to pull a head off and put some silly puddy on the piston and check to make 100% sure its hitting.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin2002

are your dots pointed towards each other or when your crank dot is up the cam gear dot faces up as well? easy mistake to do,
Really? How would you fix that?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Really? How would you fix that?
Un bolt the cam gear, take it off, put the dowel pin on the cam through the hole on the gear and turn the cam until the dots line up pointing to each other, bolt it back up.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the lifters bled down? If the lifters are still in from the pre-swap cam, they may be pumped up too high at this point. Like Predator said, I would degree the cam without pushrods in and find out what is going on.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

got the cam used from a tech memeber, and the box says 244 250 on top and on the side its says 242 248 with the lift being 611 614 and ground on a 109.5. Im not sure guys this should not be hitting this bad, and the guy i got it from had it in a stock headed car also???????????/ im confused.

Yes i have the blue firebird from pinks, its sitting in the garage next to the ta,lol.

And yes the dots are pointing together, i did not have th cam gear dot on top its on the bottom meeting the crank gear dot.

as far as the lifters, that could be i guess BUT i have done cams before in these cars (none this big but) and had no problems with the lifters bleed down then.

Guess ill just have to trade this for something else
Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

Damn man, I just realized (after I thought your last name sounded familiar) that you are the guy with the blue Firebird from the brothers PINKS episode, my favorite one of all. So I know your no newb when it comes to motors.

I know its not what you want to hear man, but it really sounds like the pistons need flycutting to me. I wouldve thought the exhaust valve wouldve cleared b/c of it being smaller but if its hitting as well...thats not good.

As much as I hate to say it, I think its time to pull a head off and put some silly puddy on the piston and check to make 100% sure its hitting.
its not worth it to me to take the heads off, ill just get a smaller cam. this is just my street play toy and i dont want to get too radical with it,lol i know, why buy that cam them???? well i just wanted that trex sound. lol
Old 05-03-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Un bolt the cam gear, take it off, put the dowel pin on the cam through the hole on the gear and turn the cam until the dots line up pointing to each other, bolt it back up.
You want to think about that for a minute?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9secbird
got the cam used from a tech memeber, and the box says 244 250 on top and on the side its says 242 248 with the lift being 611 614 and ground on a 109.5. Im not sure guys this should not be hitting this bad, and the guy i got it from had it in a stock headed car also???????????/ im confused.

Yes i have the blue firebird from pinks, its sitting in the garage next to the ta,lol.

And yes the dots are pointing together, i did not have th cam gear dot on top its on the bottom meeting the crank gear dot.

as far as the lifters, that could be i guess BUT i have done cams before in these cars (none this big but) and had no problems with the lifters bleed down then.

Guess ill just have to trade this for something else

I think you have the wrong cam. the trex is 608/612 lift. Just call Thunder tomorrow and ask them but I am sure that as long as you have stock heads there is no ptv issue.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9secbird
its not worth it to me to take the heads off, ill just get a smaller cam. this is just my street play toy and i dont want to get too radical with it,lol i know, why buy that cam them???? well i just wanted that trex sound. lol
Vindicator my friend
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zach79Z
Vindicator my friend
which one??
Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I think you have the wrong cam. the trex is 608/612 lift. Just call Thunder tomorrow and ask them but I am sure that as long as you have stock heads there is no ptv issue.
the end of the cam says trex and its engraved. I think its the right cam but i think there all a little different grinds. The cam card i have is from a cam doctor so its exact specs, im sure if you exactly spec the trexs they will all be a little different. i guess i just got a big one,lol i dont know, im pissed though, wasted a hole day on this no i need alot of these