Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Generation III Internal Engine
1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by
Texas Speed & Performance

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 70
Default Main torque specs

Got my ls1 on the stand and about to swap the oilpan and windage tray, I was just wondering what procedure to follow? Are these bolts torque to yeild and should i use some type of thread locker? What are they supposed to be torqued to?
camaross82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang
Garage is empty, add now
 
-Joseph-'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas and Qatar
Posts: 3,032
Default

You shouldn't need to replace them unless they have been used a few times. The bolts are not torque-to-yield, but are torqued in an angle-torque procedure.

All bolts torque to 16lb ft while maintaining forward thrust on the crankshaft (prying the crankshaft forward when doing the #3 main cap), from center working outward in a spiral, do all 13mm first in pairs, then all 15mm headed bolts.

Then torque 13mm main cap bolts to 80 degrees of rotation following a similar pattern as above.

Finally torque 15mm studded main cap bolts to 53 degrees of rotation.

My angle torque wrench logs the actual torque and it usually shows 58-62lb ft when I angle torque main cap bolts, but I would still use the above procedure.
__________________

Last edited by -Joseph-; 05-04-2009 at 08:01 PM..
-Joseph- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 70
Default

thanks for the help.

im not sure all of the main bolts come out for the tray, havent looked at it yet. If not, I should only need to retorque the ones I take out right?

Also, what do you use to keep forward pressure on the crank? I dont want to be prying on it with a pry bar.

Dont want to be a pain, Just want to get it right.
camaross82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang
Garage is empty, add now
 
-Joseph-'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas and Qatar
Posts: 3,032
Default

You shouldn't have to mess with the actual main cap bolts for just a windage tray swap if that's what your getting at. If so, you don't need to do any of the above info I posted. The windage tray nuts get torqued to 18lb ft. Nothing special install-wise, but remember to replace the oil pickup tube o-ring with a new piece as cheap insurance.
__________________
-Joseph- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Notmyvette's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Hey Joe, quick question...I'm rebuilding an LS1...I got the crank in dry, with some plastigauge, do I use the same torque for the plastigauge as I would to torque for assembly? (I no plastigauge ain't exactly accurate but I see it better than nothing). the engine has 115k miles on the bolts and this is the first rebuild so if I torque em for plastigauge (2nd total torquing) can I use the bolts for final assembly? which would be the 3rd torquing. and can you explain a little more on the torquing while maintaining pressure on the crank? I've always just snugged it out down then pryed the crank forward and back to set the thrust bearing then torqued it..

Thanks!
__________________
98 Blacked out C5 A4...Fresh motor, G5X3 cam, ECS tune, intake, l/t's, Borla exhaust, etc.....
2005 Blacked out evo 8...40+psi of boost....600+hp
Turboed 87 foxbody stang in the works...
Notmyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang
Garage is empty, add now
 
-Joseph-'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas and Qatar
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmyvette View Post
Hey Joe, quick question...I'm rebuilding an LS1...I got the crank in dry, with some plastigauge, do I use the same torque for the plastigauge as I would to torque for assembly? (I no plastigauge ain't exactly accurate but I see it better than nothing). the engine has 115k miles on the bolts and this is the first rebuild so if I torque em for plastigauge (2nd total torquing) can I use the bolts for final assembly? which would be the 3rd torquing. and can you explain a little more on the torquing while maintaining pressure on the crank? I've always just snugged it out down then pryed the crank forward and back to set the thrust bearing then torqued it..

Thanks!
If your building the 98 block, I would recommend replacing those main bolts. I've noticed when retorqueing the earlier bolts they 'feel' like they are stretching more than the newer LS main bolts and usually take less torque to achieve the "80" and "53" degree's if that makes sense. If you want some take-out bolts, I may have an extra set from a new block, I'll have to check out at my shop. Send me a PM to remind me.

I don't think you will see a difference in plastigage (not accurate enough to tell the difference) by snugging the bolts down, vs. torquing the bolts to spec. But you are supposed to torque to specs when checking bearing clearances.

On thrust bearing alignment, I usually use a prybar on the snugged up #4 main cap against the crankshaft. It wouldn't hurt to use a soft-faced dead blow hammer to tap the crank forward, back, then forward again right before holding pressure on it.
__________________
-Joseph- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Notmyvette's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joseph- View Post
If your building the 98 block, I would recommend replacing those main bolts. I've noticed when retorqueing the earlier bolts they 'feel' like they are stretching more than the newer LS main bolts and usually take less torque to achieve the "80" and "53" degree's if that makes sense. If you want some take-out bolts, I may have an extra set from a new block, I'll have to check out at my shop. Send me a PM to remind me.

I don't think you will see a difference in plastigage (not accurate enough to tell the difference) by snugging the bolts down, vs. torquing the bolts to spec. But you are supposed to torque to specs when checking bearing clearances.

On thrust bearing alignment, I usually use a prybar on the snugged up #4 main cap against the crankshaft. It wouldn't hurt to use a soft-faced dead blow hammer to tap the crank forward, back, then forward again right before holding pressure on it.
Ok sweet, I know plastigauge is nothing compared to using a micrometer to find out the clearance but at least using plastigauge makes me feel better inside lol

So I snug all them up to the torque spec and then set the thrust bearing alignment, hold the forward pressure, and then torque all the rest to the angle degrees? or I just snug them handtight, adjust the thrust bearing hold the pressure then torque everything to the torque spec and angle degrees? Normally I torque the thrust bearing first, but it just confused me when you said pry on the already snugged up #4.
Thanks
__________________
98 Blacked out C5 A4...Fresh motor, G5X3 cam, ECS tune, intake, l/t's, Borla exhaust, etc.....
2005 Blacked out evo 8...40+psi of boost....600+hp
Turboed 87 foxbody stang in the works...
Notmyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Notmyvette's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmyvette View Post
So I snug all them up to the torque spec and then set the thrust bearing alignment, hold the forward pressure, and then torque all the rest to the angle degrees? or I just snug them handtight, adjust the thrust bearing hold the pressure then torque everything to the torque spec and angle degrees? Normally I torque the thrust bearing first, but it just confused me when you said pry on the already snugged up #4.
Thanks
Which one do you use in my paragraph?
snug them handtight or torque them to spec then adjust the thrust bearing?
I need to do this soon, thanks
__________________
98 Blacked out C5 A4...Fresh motor, G5X3 cam, ECS tune, intake, l/t's, Borla exhaust, etc.....
2005 Blacked out evo 8...40+psi of boost....600+hp
Turboed 87 foxbody stang in the works...
Notmyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,907
Send a message via Skype™ to Vetal
Default

I tightened the mains using 15lb-ft + angle procedure, and with my bolts torque came at around 60lb-ft inner and around 55 outer, does it sound correct?
__________________
98' TransAm 383ci + TC78
LS1, 00' PCM swap, 4L80E, Circle-D converter 10.71@128mph, 1.59 60'
Nissan 200SX (110ci, 410hp, 26psi)
Vetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
bearing, bolts, cap, crank, gen, ls, ls1, main, mustang, sequence, settings, specs, thrust, times, torque


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the torque for ARP bolts ?? Hussain al mahroos Generation III Internal Engine 3 07-19-2014 01:51 PM
What doesn't need to be torqued when rebuilding? Freefallin Generation III Internal Engine 24 01-02-2014 04:38 PM
custom xpipe torque arm LeanPocket Suspension & Brakes 8 11-08-2012 10:13 AM
what a good torque converter to buy rampage01ss Automatic Transmission 28 01-16-2011 09:01 PM
torque on lug nuts xxSCRAPPYxx Wheels & Tires 21 02-18-2008 12:39 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details