Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam ? in heads.... please read....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea Foam ? in heads.... please read....

now before this gets moved solely on the fact of the title.

my intake is off, can i directly spray the sea foam into the intake runners of the heads? there is carbon all along the runners and was wondering if its ok to spray in there to clean it up and the buttom it all back up and fire it up

thanks
brandon
Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sea foam isnt a spray. Best thing to clean carbon off is laquer thinner or xylene (if you are extremely careful) atleast thats what i use. I wouldnt do it with the heads on the car as debris is going to fall down against the valve
Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you wait till it dried it would be okay. if you let that pool up you will have a bunch of seafoam rush into the cylinder when it opens and when you fire it up it could be very bad.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

some of the valves are alread going to be open. I wouldnt do anything with it honestly.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, do not do that.
You can run Redline fuel injector cleaner. 1 bottle in af ull tank helps a lot. I've used that stuff for a long time at intervals and it works pretty well.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Sea foam isnt a spray.
Really?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep/index.html
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

then maybe ill just spray onto a rag and wipe the runners out

my injectors and intake are clean, just wanna clean the runners in the heads, and since procedures for sea foam say to pour it into the vacumm line for the top of the motor i figured id cut that step out and apply directly to the heads, not trying to make a lake, just wanted to lightly saturate
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

If you're going to use it, make sure you go back with an acetone based cleaner such as brake cleaner that will remove the moisture.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

why that makes no sense?

the instuctions say to dump half a can down the vacumm line and then choke the motor out w/ the little thats left to let it sit on top of the motor/pistons for 15 mins
Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

sea foam needs to soak in order to do its job.. you can't just "lightly saturate" parts and expect them to be completely cleaned.. I've heard of guys seafoaming there cars and leaving them OVERNIGHT! next day = HUGE clouds of white smoke lol
Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Sea foam deep creep is NOT cleaner. It is just like PB blaster. You need the sea foam in the 16 oz metal can.

When you use sea foam you use it on an engine at OPERATING temperature. When you are sucking half a can in, you are sucking half a can in which usually take about 45 seconds to do without stalling the engine out. At idle rpm of about 900rpm the engine has rotated 675 times so each piston has sucked in and pushed out this sea foam about 42 times. Its coating all of the parts not just getting poured in. plus any initial sediments that are coming off at the time are being evacuated ou tof the engine immediatly, and after sitting they will fall off as air flow passes by them carrying to the combustion chamber or out of the exhaust. They wont collect as debris in around the valve seat or in the cylinder like a non running engine would.

I've used sea foam on probably 30 of the 55+ vehicles ive owned. It works great but i would never use it as a carbon cleaner other than when the engine is running. Ive let several sit over night and had quite a few that needed to be re-done 4+ times. Through my years this is what i have come up with.

The best thing to clean carbon off of car parts is Xylene (dont get it on plastic)
The best thing to clean surfaces before installing gaskets or RTV is Laquer thinner
The best thing for cleaning injectors comes in a boxed bottle and its called "Guranteed to Pass Emmissions)
The best thing for cleaning valves and pistons on an assembled motor is Sea foam
the best thing for cleaning electrical connections in unarguably Caig's DeoxIT D5.

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 05-10-2009 at 02:17 PM.