Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam 11:1 LQ4 vs RB26DETT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/cam 11:1 LQ4 vs RB26DETT

Got a rather arrogant fella visiting from MD who just loves to talk down on domestics of just about any type, mainly GM. I keep hearing him say that this RB26DETT in his 240SX will put the hurting on just about every street domestic out there. Contrary to what I hear, the RB26s are just a little bit overrated according to a lot of other message boards out there, but I'm not sure how he'll do in the dragstrip, especially on a manual RWD car.

Or course, the LQ4 motor is gonna be in my 3000 lb C4 Corvette and it will have an auto with a nice 4000 rpm stall. The "S13" as he calls his Nissan 240SX will have that exotic RB26 in there. He's a 21 year old guy who works at a MD performance shop claiming that he's one of the few tuners out there who could tune these motors perfectly and make an easy 600 rwhp on some upgraded turbos and intercooler.

Discuss...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

600rwhp? with nitrous?
I have run against those quite a few times and unless he cryo'd his crank, he will have a hell of a time keeping his together. Crank is their weakness and with a healthy 450 rwhp and a good 60', you can just eat him in the 1/8th and he will have to play catch up.
Yes these motors are capable of such numbers at 25+ psi but they mostly have to use nitrous to battle against our trq output down low.
I have been against some making it into the 9s but with super light cars and double power adders (Turbo + nitrous).
A 600 rwhp RB26 is a high $$ unit to do properly. The 2J is a better choice.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

What mods does he have done to his RB? A 26 swap is super expensive and quite rare(I hear it's a bitch to get into a 240, I have a friend with a Neo 25 and he went through hell to get it working right). He will definitely need something besides the stock turbos to beat you(at the drag strip he will probably never beat you regardless of what mods he has). I've always thought the oil pump was the weak point in those things because I've seen quite a few blown ones due to it.

To sum it up, if he has the stock turbos you will win regardless. If he has different turbo(s) run a nice 100+ shot and that should take him out
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

bust him in the jaw....when he gets up do it again...that will shut him up.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pdbq
He's a 21 year old guy who works at a MD performance shop claiming that he's one of the few tuners out there who could tune these motors perfectly and make an easy 600 rwhp on some upgraded turbos and intercooler.

Discuss...
What shop?

He might want to watch his mouth. There are street driven GMs around here faster than any Nissan will ever go.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
What shop?

He might want to watch his mouth. There are street driven GMs around here faster than any Nissan will ever go.
I dunno, but here is his myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/lexusdrft

I have a feeling that he is just another ricer, but an excellent liar... He thinks he knows everything about cars...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

I hate people like that, who think they know everything about everything. Pisses me off...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking at his pictures he doesn't have **** for you. I doubt he even has a RB26, he looks like all the ricer hispanics that hang out at the local Honda shop here. If he had a RB26 he would have pictures up to brag, the swap is like being touched by god in the Nissan world and would give him "mad props."

This dude has pictures of him swapping a stock D series for a VTEC D series into a EK, aka slow as ****, aka I don't have ****, aka I'm just a ricer. Sorry but I have to deal with a lot of this crap around here and I'm getting tired of it lol.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
Looking at his pictures he doesn't have **** for you. I doubt he even has a RB26, he looks like all the ricer hispanics that hang out at the local Honda shop here. If he had a RB26 he would have pictures up to brag, the swap is like being touched by god in the Nissan world and would give him "mad props."

This dude has pictures of him swapping a stock D series for a VTEC D series into a EK, aka slow as ****, aka I don't have ****, aka I'm just a ricer. Sorry but I have to deal with a lot of this crap around here and I'm getting tired of it lol.
Oh, and on that same swap, he is claiming that it has been built up N/A with 13:1 compression pistons, a stage 4 SOHC VTEC cam, OBD1 conversion with a lot of tuning to run on pump gas. He says it has 193 hp on premium gas and runs 13s in the quarter...

Hmmm my 400 lb heavier daily driven bone stock RSX automatic seems to keep up with him quite well. There's not enough room to race him but I have a feeling I can walk his car with my stock automatic RSX if there was a long enough straight road...

The plot thickens...
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that kid does not look like an engine builder or even a mechanic. maybe he just sweeps the floor at MD performance.

and i hate people that think everything American is slow or everything import is ricer. a fast car is a fast car no matter where it was made. he needs to grow up.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Haha! He told me that he "is getting the motor next week" and to "Meet me up in MD so I can destroy you!" I guess I'll be racing him in his Fred Flintstones foot powered mobile. BTW he thinks he can build up his SOHC VTEC EK motor for a 200 shot and beat my LQ4 as well. I'd love a chance to pop this guy's hot air bag...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Me? I don't hate anyone. It takes a LOT of stupid people in this world to make the rest of us look smart. Hand him his *** with the Vette and be done with it. "Not having a lot of room" is a plus for you. You'll have him in a light to light before he can spool his turbo or be in the position to light off the nitrous.
The other problem he is going to have is putting 600rwhp to the ground, IF he even has it, IF he can generate it soon enough to be of any use against you. I was pushing 400fwhp with my Eclipse GST DSM 2.0. I had to bring the RPMs up pretty high to generate a good launch and any kind of acceleration before the turbo spooled. There is a REALLY small margine between getting a good launch and overpowering his potential traction. That issue is going to only be compounded if he adds nitrous to the equation.
My money is on your Vette. Especially in a light to light torque race.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Ugh, ******* ricers.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do 600hp imports and 400hp v8 domestic cars have in common?

High 10secound Time slips!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Me? I don't hate anyone. It takes a LOT of stupid people in this world to make the rest of us look smart. Hand him his *** with the Vette and be done with it. "Not having a lot of room" is a plus for you. You'll have him in a light to light before he can spool his turbo or be in the position to light off the nitrous.
The other problem he is going to have is putting 600rwhp to the ground, IF he even has it, IF he can generate it soon enough to be of any use against you. I was pushing 400fwhp with my Eclipse GST DSM 2.0. I had to bring the RPMs up pretty high to generate a good launch and any kind of acceleration before the turbo spooled. There is a REALLY small margine between getting a good launch and overpowering his potential traction. That issue is going to only be compounded if he adds nitrous to the equation.
My money is on your Vette. Especially in a light to light torque race.
I don't hate anyone either. I love any car that is fast and respect for anyone who has the means to back it up. The problem I have with some so-called "enthusiast" and "fanboys" is that some of them talk a lot of **** with little to no back up and produce nothing but taunting BS in their conversations. I just recently found out that LSx cars seem to have the best reliable dollar-to-horsepower ratio. Of course this kid has yet to be schooled by LS1 cars. His argument (verbatim):
"Well, your outdated pathetic V8 is limited to 5500 rpms and I can shift my 4 cylinder and inline 6 cylinder at 8500+ rpms! You'll get worked, son! You aint see nothing yet!"
Old 05-25-2009, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

This is pathetic.. What a douchebag. Hate people who talk **** like that.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't underestimate guys, done properly some can be real fast.

http://www.motorplex.ae/FIADMIN/Uplo...-30-3-2007.wmv
Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pdbq
I don't hate anyone either. I love any car that is fast and respect for anyone who has the means to back it up. The problem I have with some so-called "enthusiast" and "fanboys" is that some of them talk a lot of **** with little to no back up and produce nothing but taunting BS in their conversations. I just recently found out that LSx cars seem to have the best reliable dollar-to-horsepower ratio. Of course this kid has yet to be schooled by LS1 cars. His argument (verbatim):
I got that arguement from a clown with a 3000GT in Denver years back. Something like, "My car will do 60 miles per hour in first gear, so I win before we even race." After work, I handed him his *** in a light to light with a 383 cid TPI IROC Camaro. He showed up to work next day in a new Trans Am.
Ricers will make good power. But generally NOT in time to save them from an LS asswhipping in a light to light. Thier power to weight ratio (thier strongest attribute) is diminished by the fact that the power is slow to bring to bear in a good short drag race. They MIGHT take you in a top end race or MAYBE catch you by the end of a quarter mile run. I've seen a lot of 600 to 800 rwhp LSX cars, but not many 600fwhp ricers -in my arena, only top end, high dollar, Evo9's or better. After about 400hp, they really start shelling out drivetrain and reciprocating engine parts. Only exception is someone who has $100k in USA built forged and aftermarket parts to play that game against an American built LSX. And for that money, he would probably have bought American to begin with and have 2 or 3 killer LSX cars.
Your 3 choices are A)Consider the source and ignore him. B)Hand him his *** with the Vette -get it on camera so we can clown him on Myspace. C) Punch him in the grill, like 9secondsflat said -preferably without camera witness.. lol I wouldn't recommend option C, only because violence (nomatter how warranted) generates unneeded legal issues.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Don't underestimate guys, done properly some can be real fast.

http://www.motorplex.ae/FIADMIN/Uplo...-30-3-2007.wmv
The really fast ricers are the ones specifically built for that purpose; quarter miling. The amount of forced induction and power adders on these cars make them real bears on the street. You see them coming a mile away. There really isn't much you can do with 2-3 liters of low compression engine till the boost spools. I have beaten quite a few of them with my 4g63 with the stock T-too-small, just because what little I have I can bring to bear almost instantly. Though they are particularly dangerous to us in roll start races because it puts them in thier element and at the edge of ours.
This isn't underestimation. It is knowing your enemy better than he knows himself.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I'm a Nissan guy...

I just sold my car with an RB20det in it. So, I'm familiar with the RB motor series. I have a local buddy with a very Nasty RB26 swap. Making 800whp but limited because the head studs are starting to lift... The next option in the lineup costs more than $1000 for a set of stupid head studs.. Since the hp at that point is all gratuitous anyhow, he decided to quit.

Your dragrace between an RB26 powered S13 and your LQ4 corvette won't happen anytime soon if he's just getting his motor this weekend.. I can almost promise it'll take him at least 2 months to get it installed and work out the details. They are very difficult to swap and wire and tune. It's very expensive and difficult to source parts, and they are a pain in the neck to maintain.

As for who will win... Depends entirely on traction. The S13 with an RB swap should weigh in at about 2800lbs or less. In an S chassis, anything over 300whp will just roast the tires, so he better have some slicks and some serious drivetrain and suspension mods to hook up.

As for which is the better motor.. I think the RB26 is hands down the better motor. It's rock solid, makes 800+ hp with enough boost out of a 2.6L, has some incredible technology, etc... But it's expensive, very expensive to modify, hard to swap, and it's only 2.6L.

Having said that... I own a LQ4 now that I'll be swapping into an S14 in the near future. I can't resist the idea of 500whp N/A for dirt cheap. So we'll see how my impressions of the LQ4 go as I get closer.

btw.. the comments about "punching him in the face" don't help the stereotypes about "domestic" guys.

Quick Reply: Heads/cam 11:1 LQ4 vs RB26DETT