Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm planning on a build. Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm planning on a build. Need suggestions

Hi, I am planning performance mods for a 2002 SS and need suggestions. It's going to be a Berger type build looks wise and ideally performance. I have seen a guy's 35th LE with these mods and I want to know what you think. They are as follows; Trick Flow 215 heads
Dominator 2 cam 230/238 0.610/0.615 113
ARH headers w/ Y-pipe
25% u/d pulley
LS6 MAF
60lb. injectors
FAST 92mm intake manifold/TB
The main reason I'm thinking this combo is I love the sound this guy has got. I know that some of that is due to the exhaust setup (he's running a Magnaflow). I'm planning on GMMG but I believe it should have a similar sound overall. Also he is at 502rwhp. If you would like, go to youtube and search for 35th anniversary LE camaro SS and the video comes up. Check it out.
So any suggestions? Let's hear'em. Again, I don't have to have this set up. If there is a better or more advisable one then I will consider it. I'm just after good all around power and awesome sound(not obnoxious, but nice low end rumble with some growl at WOT). Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Just checked out Texas Speed and saw this.
PRC 5.3L CNC'd & ported heads.
TSP XS cam 233/239 .595/.603 113
The heads are about half the price as the Trick Flow heads and I have read that putting 5.3L heads on a LS1 is a good way to go. The cam is reported to offer a wide power band and a relatively smooth idle. Opinions?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey dude I have the Dominator 2 camshaft from mikey. I was doing similar thinking to you about the 500 rwhp but i've talked to mikey about it all. I think 60 lb injectors are a bit much unless you plan to do bigger cubes and spray or something. As for the 5.3L yes they are cheaper but from what i've seen i haven't seen the big #'s and times that the TFS or TEA 215's have been putting down. I am going to be similar to that setup if i ever get $$ but he did never get the suspension right so you only have dyno #'s and no track #'s which sucks!!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Hey. Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm really a newbie on alot of this stuff and didn't realize about the injectors. Would 50lb be more reasonable? I'm not going to be doing Nitrous or anything, just all motor. Also I'm not planning on racing it. I just want the power for bragging rights and some nice grunt on the street. Maybe going to a car show or two. Is the Dominator a good cam? How is it on the street? The car is going to be a DD. Good point on the heads but again I'm not really worried about times and such, as long as the power and performance is there. Bottom line I want to see around 500rwhp, if it's in the ballpark that's cool. Mainly after the low to mid range power and bad *** sound. Again thanks for reply and I'm Daniel from Austin, Texas btw.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think all you would really need would be 42# injectors. You should really talk to a local shop they would know more then me haha. The dominator is a great cam, good street manners with good power. I was DD'ing it for awhile before my exhaust was too loud and everyone kept complaining. I'd keep the exhaust moderate for a DD haha. Low-mid range power and 500 rwhp are different things. 500 rwhp is really hard to get you need a great combo and top of the line everything. Low-mid setups tend to run near 450ish rwhp. With my setup i'm hoping to see 470 rwhp but that will be through a heavier clutch and rear end which will take some power away.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Oh OK. That's cool, as long as I'm in the ball park it's not a big deal. Yeah, I plan on keeping the exhaust in check. I figure QTP, Kooks or TSP headers and hi-flo catted Y-pipe with GMMG cat-back should be a good combo. And as you said 450-480rwhp for a DD is more than enough I think. I'm sure I will be thrilled with that and it should keep a smile on my face for a long time. As far as heads go. I was thinking of PRC or TEA 5.3L heads, I read in Super Chevy that the TEA 5.3L CNC'd & Ported heads, a mild cam and FAST intake manifold/TB dyno'd at 535hp with 478lb-ft of torque. Price is not bad for the TEA heads and Texas Speed has a PRC 5.3L head & cam package for around $1600. $2700 for the AFR package.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TXSSIVE
Oh OK. That's cool, as long as I'm in the ball park it's not a big deal. Yeah, I plan on keeping the exhaust in check. I figure QTP, Kooks or TSP headers and hi-flo catted Y-pipe with GMMG cat-back should be a good combo. And as you said 450-480rwhp for a DD is more than enough I think. I'm sure I will be thrilled with that and it should keep a smile on my face for a long time. As far as heads go. I was thinking of PRC or TEA 5.3L heads, I read in Super Chevy that the TEA 5.3L CNC'd & Ported heads, a mild cam and FAST intake manifold/TB dyno'd at 535hp with 478lb-ft of torque. Price is not bad for the TEA heads and Texas Speed has a PRC 5.3L head & cam package for around $1600. $2700 for the AFR package.
Could you post a link to the artical in Super Chevy. I bet those #'s where on a engine dyno not at the wheels.

Only thing you should change on you list in post 1 in the 60# injectors, 30 or 36# should be plenty for that setup.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Hey *****,

Yeah you're right about the dyno. It was only the engine not at the wheels. But even if you figure in the power loss, I should still be near the mark that I'm after. Anywhere from 450-480ish would be great. The article was power recipes for the LS motor. They had them from 400-700hp. The article is from May '08. Volume 37, Number 5. I have the actual magazine but I'm sure a search will pull up the article. Also, yeah I realized that the 60lb. injectors would be overkill so I'll be going with the 36lb, maybe 40lb. to give a little extra room for something down the line. Bigger cubes maybe? I doubt I'll need to but you never know.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just make sure you know what you are getting into. As far as i've seen the PRC's are pretty good heads and with a good port can really open up but some things are hit and miss. It isn't always all about dyno #'s but remember if you start lowballing on things it will affect your setup.

Patrick G has a writeup on here on how to get 500 rwhp if you want to search and do a lot of reading. It is hard but with a mild cam as this one is and Fast 92/92 and heads you should be fine. I've seen others with cam and 90/90 putting down 420-430 so add heads and easily 450. Gooodluck with your build and call Mikey if you want at Rapid. He makes the cam and is a very nice and knowledgable guy and will definitly help you out!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Cool. I will do that and look into the Dominator 2. I'll probably check out the TSP XS cam as well. It sounds like it's similar to the Dominator. I know it's not all about the dyno numbers, I would much rather just have it where I'm happy with the performance and sound. And I'm going to make sure I get the handling as good as I can as well. If it happens to be in the range then great. Because again, I'm not planning on racing. Hell I'll be happy with just about anything in the 400+hp range. I'm driving a '95 V6 Camaro right now. (Ha ha). Just the stock SS will seem like a hell of a lot at first. The last time I had a V8 was when I had my '96 Impala SS that I bought brand new back then. God I miss that car. Thanks again for all your input man. I appreciate it and I'll make sure to post pics when I finally get the car and during the upgrade process.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you plan on using cats I would change your goals. Any cam used to attain your goal will have a decent amount of overlap, move overlap means you need to have less restrictive exhaust. Also with the unburnt fuel that will get blow through the motor at low RPM's with said cam will destroy the cats anyways.

About the injectors. For my build I used the FAST 36's. They are the same used on the GTP Pontiac cars along with the ASA motors. Using these injectors you have access to a fuel table created by GM as the ASA .bin files are readily accessible. Also these have a spray pattern identical to the factory injectors
Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

I'm planning on going with either Kooks, TSP headers & Y-pipe or QTP headers w/ electric cut-outs, hi-flo cats and a GMMG cat-back. All of these set ups are considered restrictive? I do want to pass emissions and stay legal, the car will be a DD. In Texas you have to show a passing emissions test to keep your car registered. As long as I'm in the 400+hp range I'll be happy. For a DD that should be more than enough power. I will mainly be going to car shows and maybe terrorizing the occasional Mustang. LOL. (I'm a fan of the new Mustangs actually, and plan on getting a 2010-11 Shelby GT500 eventually). What exhaust would you suggest? And how does the rest of my list look? Heads, cam, intake, etc?