Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205's Milled to 62cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AFR 205's Milled to 62cc

There are alot of sponsors that sell this head and will mill them for you. For best results who What sponsor does the best job?? Thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tony Mamo
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

So he is the only one. What does he charge compared to others??
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
So he is the only one. What does he charge compared to others??
Tony designed an makes the AFR heads.......
Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you already have the heads? You can buy them milled to spec, that's the best route.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you buy them AFR mills them if they need to be milled. We mill other heads, but AFR mills AFR. It's a $100 upgrade from us.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer AFR cylinder heads & give our customers free milling. Just tell the guys what yoru looking for & we'll mill them no charge!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Jason. I am definatly goin to get heads(AFR), But my question is that I know Tony Mamo does a really good job. Is there anyone else or results from other sponsors with same results, not just Mamo porting??
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your gonna get the head... might as well let the man you designed em work em..

just my .2'cs.. why get someone else involed to even touch them when the man himself can...

maybe I just dont like middlemen..
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cellulis44
your gonna get the head... might as well let the man you designed em work em..

just my .2'cs.. why get someone else involed to even touch them when the man himself can...

maybe I just dont like middlemen..
Good Point
Old 05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony doesn't mill them himself, AFR does. Just for reference, mine were milled by AFR and the surface roughness was 25 Ra and they were flat to within 0.0005". This is well within the specifications required for Cometic gaskets.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Tony doesn't mill them himself, AFR does. Just for reference, mine were milled by AFR and the surface roughness was 25 Ra and they were flat to within 0.0005". This is well within the specifications required for Cometic gaskets.
Ohhh I dont know what all that means, I will be using GM MLS Gaskets. Will I still get a good quench from them??
Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohhh I dont know what all that means, I will be using GM MLS Gaskets. Will I still get a good quench from them??
I bought my AFR 205's used and had them cc'd to verify the combustion chamber size and then milled down to 62cc. He ended up shaving off 0.025" giving me 61.5cc (verified by cc'ing them again) but that's ok w/ me. They actually measured a little over 66 cc's stock - about 66.5. Any decent machine shop can mill your heads. I paid just a hair over $100 including the cc measurements.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The quench is from the gasket thickness. 0.040" Cometics will provide a better quench than the GM MLS, but the GM gaskets are very good gaskets. The "Ra" in my post is a measure of the surface roughness. Cometic requires that the surface be less than 50 Ra and 25 Ra is excellent and shows that the mill work was done carefully and slowly. The flatness is a measurement of how flat the head is. There are requirements for this as well and the milling done by AFR was excellent. The GM gaskets are a little more forgiving on these numbers and you will get a good seal from them but the block preparation needs to be done carefully.

I guess to summarize my post, I found the milling from AFR was excellent and it will work with any gasket you choose. Good luck with the heads, you are going to love them.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems there is a bit of confusion here....

Porting and milling are two different operations completely.

You can purchase them milled from the factory (us directly) which is simply a machining operation that the head deck is machined at a given spec lower than our standard deck height which normally yields around 66 c's (a $100 option from us). Or you can order the same from any of our dealers who will likely just call us and order the head milled to your spec. Same end results although prices may vary. Its a much more basic operation (than porting) although our milling machine is extremely expensive and very accurate so I always advise our customers to mill the heads at the factory (versus their local machine shop) if at all possible.

Porting is much more specialized and what we are talking about here is modifying somewhat a proven cylinder head design which is a risky proposition in the wrong hands. I have done a handfull of that for some in my free time (afterhours) as AFR does not get involved in anything like that and its a more specialized modification. It's not cheap as its very time intensive and a form of an art if you will all done by hand (and IMO best handled by myself if you dont mind paying a little more for an extremely high level of execution and proven results), although alot of other "porting shops" would be willing to take your money....LOL

I hope this helps clear up a few things....

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Seems there is a bit of confusion here....

Porting and milling are two different operations completely.

You can purchase them milled from the factory (us directly) which is simply a machining operation that the head deck is machined at a given spec lower than our standard deck height which normally yields around 66 c's (a $100 option from us). Or you can order the same from any of our dealers who will likely just call us and order the head milled to your spec. Same end results although prices may vary. Its a much more basic operation (than porting) although our milling machine is extremely expensive and very accurate so I always advise our customers to mill the heads at the factory (versus their local machine shop) if at all possible.

Porting is much more specialized and what we are talking about here is modifying somewhat a proven cylinder head design which is a risky proposition in the wrong hands. I have done a handfull of that for some in my free time (afterhours) as AFR does not get involved in anything like that and its a more specialized modification. It's not cheap as its very time intensive and a form of an art if you will all done by hand (and IMO best handled by myself if you dont mind paying a little more for an extremely high level of execution and proven results), although alot of other "porting shops" would be willing to take your money....LOL

I hope this helps clear up a few things....

Thanks,
Tony
Glad you stepped in Tony. Don't you lose some amount of flow by milling the 205's to 62cc? I threw your name in the hat in the beginning because I remember reading something somewhere that some handy work is needed to bring them back in line when milled. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Glad you stepped in Tony. Don't you lose some amount of flow by milling the 205's to 62cc? I threw your name in the hat in the beginning because I remember reading something somewhere that some handy work is needed to bring them back in line when milled. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Milling with the goal of maximum usable CR/cylinder pressure is always a smart thing....even a head that is more sensitive to it will see positive net gains when the smoke clears because the gain in compression more than offset the slight loss of flow when the tires hit the rollers.

Our 205's are not that sensitive to milling....you have to get into the high 50's before you see any type of a difference worth mentioning and its still a wise move to mill there if your engine will tolerate the higher CR (based on combination, gas quality/octane available, etc.)

No worries on milling the 205 AFR heads into the low sixties....flow is barely compromised and its a good move assuming no spark retard or detonation concerns. Compression is one of those things you want as much as you can get away with btw....the efficiency and output of the engine improves the higher that figure goes (assuming once again the octane is high enough to keep it out detonation).

-Tony
Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my milled 59cc AFR's... to me they are the best mod on my entire powerplant...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tony is it true that when 205 heads are milled down say 62 or 60cc, Is the more airflow in low to mid lifts like Pat G explained in his 500 rwhp recipe?? Thats what I am looking for more flow to low to mid lifts and cram it into Fast intake, like pat G explained??

Also Tony I will be using GM MLS Gaskets .053 compressed. Where and what would I benifit from?? What would be your reccomendation?? I want a streetable car some track my cam is 222/22/115 with .589 lift. I would be happy with 450rwhp.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Flow Wizard

Tony is it true that when 205 heads are milled down say 62 or 60cc, Is the more airflow in low to mid lifts like Pat G explained in his 500 rwhp recipe?? Thats what I am looking for more flow to low to mid lifts and cram it into Fast intake, like pat G explained??

Also Tony I will be using GM MLS Gaskets .053 compressed. Where and what would I benifit from?? What would be your reccomendation?? I want a streetable car some track my cam is 222/22/115 with .589 lift. I would be happy with 450rwhp.
You need some guidance (no offense). If you really want to do this call me at AFR and I will try to quickly set you straight on a couple of things.

In short, you dont want to run a thick gasket, you do want to mill the heads to 62 cc's, you probably should ditch that cam for the AFR 224/228 grind, and you need a ported FAST. A lighter weight clutch flywheel combo is also probably in order (thats 10+ RWHP) as is an UD pulley, and a good exhaust system. Couple all of that with a really good tune and you could probably get or come close to 450 WHP depending on who's dyno and what type. Its not easy to lay up 450 with a small cam but it can be down with alot of attention to detail and a handfull of Benjamins doesnt hurt either.

If youve got the funds and are serious about tackling this project drop me a line at AFR. I will provide you with most of the recipe

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

-Tony

Quick Reply: AFR 205's Milled to 62cc