Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone who rebuilt their LS1....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For anyone who rebuilt their LS1....

I have over 180,000 miles on my 2000 T/A, now it's still running strong, but thinking about the future now. How much did the machine work cost, resleeving, balancing, etc..... I'm debating whether to build my block or just go with an LS6 crate. Not looking for any sort of crazy HP, just 400 at the wheels would be nice, of course we all know that power becomes a bug and turns into the want for more and more. Also, has anyone got the engine out of the car without a lift? Thanks for any advice and answers!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're only looking for 400HP at the wheels, I would just go with an LS6 w/ full bolt ons and possibly a mild cam. You can rebuild a motor to better than factory if you're good, but there's nothing like the assurance (and warranty) of a brand new crate engine. You can pick up an LS6 "service engine" for about $3400 from Crate Engine Depot, for that price I can't see rebuilding your stock motor.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your block is fine, all that would be needed would be a fresh hone job and some new piston rings on the stock pistons and you will be just fine. Also change out the rod and main bearings and have everything balanced.

For that work around here the machining may cost $200 if that much. Just look to spend around a $1000 bucks to freshen up the motor. As you will need a new crank pulley bolt, all the gaskets, and the head bolts. Any other stuff like oil pump, timing chain, valve springs, etc will add to the cost.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjamick
Your block is fine, all that would be needed would be a fresh hone job and some new piston rings on the stock pistons and you will be just fine. Also change out the rod and main bearings and have everything balanced.

For that work around here the machining may cost $200 if that much. Just look to spend around a $1000 bucks to freshen up the motor. As you will need a new crank pulley bolt, all the gaskets, and the head bolts. Any other stuff like oil pump, timing chain, valve springs, etc will add to the cost.
On that note, let just say the cost of a rebuild adds up very quickly.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
On that note, let just say the cost of a rebuild adds up very quickly.
Thats the best way to put it right there^ lol it definatly adds up quick.

When i friend of mine rebuilt the motor in my 98 he took the engine out the top but the trans wasnt connected. Im not sure which is more difficult tho.

Ill be starting my first build shortly
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses, when I start looking at the rebuild it seems to start to approach the price of the crate engine quickly, with the added expense of the downtime of the car while the work is being done..... with this car being my daily driver I don't really want it down too long. I have a 68 Mustang that I've rebuilt twice now, but the old cars are so much cheaper to work on! Guess if I drop an LS6 in there the LS1 can be a build for the future...... fun!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If ya buy a carte ls6 id just sell the ls1. That way you can recoupe some of the moeny from the crate motor plus youll have some modding money for when you decide what you wana do to the ls6
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

a engine shop rebuild will cost about $2500, think about calling one of our sponcors such as TSP about a 402 short block plus LS6 heads. just my 2 cents.