Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIGH oil pressure after oils change?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH oil pressure after oils change?!?!

i just changed my oils started it and at idle it is at around 65......it was never this high before at idle i have a ported ls6 pump.....this something i should be worried about or just let it go?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe sending unit or gauge is acting up. I have the same oil pump as you and that is about where mines runs when first started. It did not change much from different weight oils such as 5w30, 10w40 or even 15w40. It did make a difference when I had some 5w30 Valvoline in it. Then it was only like 45 or so. Once it warms up I am around 40 and on the road around 55 or so. I prefer Castrol for conventional and amsoil or mobil-1 for synthetic. I still have a newer engine so I am still running conventional. You think you may have spun a bearing or something like that?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think i could have a spun bearing it doesnt burn any oil at all and its cam only with a small shot but ive only sprayed it like 4 times. whats the effects of a spun bearing?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

High oil pressure because it can partially or even completely block an oil passage causing a back up. Does not happen very often so don't get to worried but it is one of the worst things that comes to mind if you have higher than usual oil pressure. Are you hearing any weird noises? Have you drove the car around any to see if it drops some as it warms up? Anything odd on the oil drain plug when you changed it? If not you may want to try a mechanical gauge to see if it really is that high.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nothing came out this time but i did have valvesprings crack before and pieces would come out but none came out this time you think one of those little pieces could do it? they were only maybe a half inch long they were from the inner spring. no weird noises though and i drove it around the block and it didnt drop.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Launching!

I don't think a piece of the spring could have gotten anywhere that would have affected oil pressure. It would probably take 15 to 20 minutes of driving for the oil to warm up enough to drop the pressure. What weight and kind of oil you using? What brand of oil filter.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW a spun bearing causes LOWER oil pressue..... Your fine....
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5-30 and napa premium filter.....i change it every 500-1000 miles
Old 09-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Teching In

heh ive never heard of having too much oil pressure, only thing that comes to mind is maybe something is clogged, but then again if it was you would get low pressure, i would say drive it some till it warms up and see if the pressure drops, either that or the only other thing i can think of is something is stuck in the oil pump spring and not allowing it to open all the way so it gives off alot of pressure, the spring on an oil pump works like a waste gate of a turbo, when the pressure needed is reached the back end of the oil pump opens to dump the pressure back in the pan so it doesnt blow anything up in the motor but if that were to happen ur pressure would max out completely, unless its something small stick in the back end of the oil pump, allowing it to open a little bit....know what im saying?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Like MasterSe7en said high pressure is usually good so I don't think I would worry too much. Your using good oil and filter and your pressure numbers are not completely out to lunch. I would drive it around a bit and see what it does. Maybe you got a bad filter or the wrong weight oil in the bottle since it did start when the change happened. Maybe you could try changing the oil again. I would still consider using a mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify the readings before doing that. Please keep us posted with your numbers after a drive.

For SOMbitch: A spun bearing blocks the oil passage that feeds the bearing. Where would the oil go that it would lower pressure? A bad bearing that has increased clearance will lower pressure, like a rod knock for example or an engine with 250,000 miles.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alrighty last night i got in the car and drove 200+ miles out of state and nothing bad happened haha. the pressure is still the same but since i did just put about 500 miles on the car im gonna change the oil anyways and see what happens then. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Good to hear. Keep us posted if anything changes. Happy motoring.

Quick Reply: HIGH oil pressure after oils change?!?!