Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High oil pressure - stock ls1

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure - stock ls1

My oil pressure was usually around 40psi until about 2 days ago. When the engine is warmed up to about 200 degrees I now have about 50psi at idle and about 60psi at 2000rpm. The engine is not making any weird noises or behavior

What would cause my oil pressure to be higher than normal?

I plan to change the oil and filter on Friday just to rule that out. Any suggestions on what brand sythetic I should go with?

Last edited by sixtyfive; 11-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Anyone??? is 50 - 60 psi normal?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

my is that high. alway has been...
Old 11-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats ok. dont ever use high milage oil filters, they have a restricter in there to increase oil psi
Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

I'd lean to above post or faulty reading as long as no change is oil weight was made. As long as the pressure rises with rpm I wouldn't worry.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to verify oil pressure changes with a mechanical gauge. I just checked mine recently bc I thought I had low pressure. Turned out to be the replacement sending unit from oriellys is whats at fault. Pressure is great, its just reading low. Bought an oil pressure gauge kit from harbor freight for $16. Then I tapped the port above the filter with a 1/8 NPT thread.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a built 383 with a SLP pump my pressure always ran 58-60 psi with a good after market elec. gauge.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

A dirty filter
Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Teching In

mine has alway's been @ 50psi when warm... Just make sure it still raises with the increase of rpm's.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ae13291
thats ok. dont ever use high milage oil filters, they have a restricter in there to increase oil psi
If the oil filter is before the oil pressure sensor then how does it restricting oil increase oil pressure?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by youguessit

If the oil filter is before the oil pressure sensor then how does it restricting oil increase oil pressure?

when liquid travels from a large hole to a smaller hole that is velocity decrease and pressure increase. dont you think the pump has to work harder to force through oil into the filter? after the pump the oil goes to the filter. i installed one of those high milage filters on my car and i was running 65 psi on idle ( i know the stock gauges are inaccurate but it still shows) so think about it
Old 11-14-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock oil pressure gauge and sending unit are not that inaccurate....And I knew that was coming
Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Stock oil pressure gauge and sending unit are not that inaccurate....And I knew that was coming
i know at idle there accurate but as it gets higher not so accurate. the stock spring relieves at 65 psi, but i have seen my gauge go till 75
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

earlier this week I followed mine with a mechanical gauge. It surprised me bc it was pretty close.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
earlier this week I followed mine with a mechanical gauge. It surprised me bc it was pretty close.
damm thats pretty crazy man, maybe some years were different? i know the 98 has a different oil pressure sensor then the other years
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

when liquid travels from a large hole to a smaller hole that is velocity decrease and pressure increase. dont you think the pump has to work harder to force through oil into the filter? after the pump the oil goes to the filter. i installed one of those high milage filters on my car and i was running 65 psi on idle ( i know the stock gauges are inaccurate but it still shows) so think about it
when liquid travels from a large hole to a small one the pressure doese increase, but if the hole opens up again to the original size then the pressure would be lesser than that of the starting pressure because of the restricion. the sensor is after the oil filter or the restricion. So it would read a lower pressure if or less flow if the filter was restrictive. Correct me if im wrong. so higher pressure would mean higher flow.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

when liquid travels from a large hole to a small one the pressure doese increase, but if the hole opens up again to the original size then the pressure would be lesser than that of the starting pressure because of the restricion. the sensor is after the oil filter or the restricion. So it would read a lower pressure if or less flow if the filter was restrictive. Correct me if im wrong. so higher pressure would mean higher flow.
im sorry i dident explain, if you havent seen the inside of those high milage filters they have a plastic block that will let the oil flow to the sides instead of straight down into the filter. i understand what you mean by the oil pressure sensor, yea its after the filter, but there is 2 holes for the oil filter adapter one goes in and the other will shoot straight to the oil pressure sensor. but i understand what your saying, i know when the fuel filter starts to clog on some GM cars the fuel pump will get louder, yes its under more stress but the pressure stays the same. i know for a fact that oil filter made my gauge read a much higher psi.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

im sorry i dident explain, if you havent seen the inside of those high milage filters they have a plastic block that will let the oil flow to the sides instead of straight down into the filter. i understand what you mean by the oil pressure sensor, yea its after the filter, but there is 2 holes for the oil filter adapter one goes in and the other will shoot straight to the oil pressure sensor. but i understand what your saying, i know when the fuel filter starts to clog on some GM cars the fuel pump will get louder, yes its under more stress but the pressure stays the same. i know for a fact that oil filter made my gauge read a much higher psi.
There is only one hole feeding to the filter and one leaving to oil everything else. The hole that comes from the filter then splits... You cant just squirt oil towards the oil pressure sensor. Only solution is if your seeing more psi, you are getting more oil and have less of a restriction. It is more than just the shape of the filter it is also what the filter material is made of. Cirtian matierals can filter more and restrict less.... It just depends how much you want to spend.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Banned

There is only one hole feeding to the filter and one leaving to oil everything else. The hole that comes from the filter then splits... You cant just squirt oil towards the oil pressure sensor. Only solution is if your seeing more psi, you are getting more oil and have less of a restriction. It is more than just the shape of the filter it is also what the filter material is made of. Cirtian matierals can filter more and restrict less.... It just depends how much you want to spend.
i used to use fram tough guard filters, then tried the high milage filter and then oil psi was to extreme. i changed the high milage filter 1 day later
Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

frams dont flow very well.... that is why most suggest a mobil 1 filter, wix, or purolator pure one. they flow better and increase your oil pressure by up to 10 psi. Im not sure what high mileage filter you used but they probably made it out of better materials to give the engine more oiling since it has so much wear.

Quick Reply: High oil pressure - stock ls1